I haven't driven since about last year.

We’ve closed your claim

Hi Simon,

Your claim reference number:

Date of Accident:

08/05/2020

Closed Date:

18/11/2021

We recommend saving this email as it holds useful information about the settlement of your claim. You can refer to this email for any information you need when getting a new quote for motor insurance.

This claim has been closed as fault.

The important thing to remember is that a ‘fault’ claim and being to blame aren’t the same thing, but if we as the insurer are unable to recover the money from someone else then it is treated as fault.

For more information about how this may affect your No Claims Discount please refer to your policy schedule by logging into MyAviva

Soldato
Is this related to your question about drug driving offences last year?

The bit in bold is pretty self explanatory - if your insurance company had to pay out and couldn't recover the costs from someone else, it's recorded as fault. It's explaining that fault doesn't necessarily mean 'blame' in insurance terms.

Permabanned
OP
Did you make a claim?

No

Is this related to your question about drug driving offences last year?

The bit in bold is pretty self explanatory - if your insurance company had to pay out and couldn't recover the costs from someone else, it's recorded as fault. It's explaining that fault doesn't necessarily mean 'blame' in insurance terms.

No it isn't.

Dont they get the money from people's premiums

Soldato

Well that's either a scam or you've got a claim on your policy you that you know nothing about.

Dont they get the money from people's premiums
No, that's not what it's referring to.

In simplistic terms, if you have an accident and your insurance company has to pay out, it's a 'fault' claim. If someone else's insurance pays out, it's a 'non fault' claim. This is generally regardless of whether it was your fault in general language terms.

Man of Honour
The email is saying there has been a claim against your policy. They have paid out and have not been able to recover the money from anyone else. So it is deemed that you were "at fault" (it doesn't mean you caused it, just that your policy paid out and could not recover the money elsewhere). This will have implications for future insurance as you will need to declare a fault claim when asked (usually within the last 5 years I think?)

But if you were unaware of a claim then I would contact your insurance company immediately to ask what it is about. I suggest calling their publicly available number rather than the one on the letter/email in case its a scam of some sort.

Soldato
Please tell me you added 1337 as the claim reference number. Otherwise you've been h4x0red my friend.

What you may be missing from the replies above is that the word "recover" doesn't mean "we can't afford the cash to pay out". It means "There was a claim, and we were unable to make someone else pay for it because it was their fault". It means reclaim the actual cost of your payout from someone else who "ought to" pay it.

Either way Google your insurer and call them using the publicly available number asap.

Edit: what DID happen on 8th May 2020?

Soldato
In simplistic terms, if you have an accident and your insurance company has to pay out, it's a 'fault' claim. If someone else's insurance pays out, it's a 'non fault' claim. This is generally regardless of whether it was your fault in general language terms.

It's either this, or someone has lodged a claim without you even knowing about it. Is this the first piece of correspondence you've had on this claim?

Back
Top Bottom