Ole's sacked, who next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
all on about the manager ? the players at man utd are not good enough for man utd and they know it, utd have had great managers after leather face and the players pushed them out, whoever you get in next will happen again.

Soldato
Potch was amazing for us at Spurs and it's an absolute disgrace that he was let go. Another year and some more funds and he would have won the CL and maybe the premiership too

Lol, think you're overrating him / spurs quite a bit.

He did well at Southampton, had a period of doing very well at Spurs, then that team completely lost the plot and he had no solutions, and since he's been at PSG he's been quite mediocre given the team he has inherited. I think he's a decent manager overall but still needs to prove himself to be more highly rated.

I think it'll still be worth Man U appointing him as I don't think there's many mangers out there right now who they can get instead.

Soldato

He did well at Southampton, had a period of doing very well at Spurs, then that team completely lost the plot and he had no solutions, and since he's been at PSG he's been quite mediocre given the team he has inherited. I think he's a decent manager overall but still needs to prove himself to be more highly rated.

I think it'll still be worth Man U appointing him as I don't think there's many mangers out there right now who they can get instead.

So I have no idea how Poch would do at united, but he was banging on levy's door way before that Champs league final warning that the squad needed more/better signings. I think it's evident that a lot of players there have lost their heads.

Man of Honour
I never understand this claim that a manager hasn't won anything. There are only so many trophies each season and most of them are not even worth competing for. Poch had Spurs massively punching and he nearly won the CL. I could point out a dozen bang average managers that have won more than Poch. I mean, Ole won some titles didn't he. This isn't a criticism of you, more an observation that its absolutely nuts to judge a manager on trophies rather than how they manage and what value they bring to the teams they manage.

Trying to win a domestic cup isn't hard as a top 6 manager IMO. If you gave someone a few years they would probably win one if that was their priority. Ask them to win the CL or PL and thats far more impressive. Ranieri did that a few years ago though and hes not exactly in high demand...

I have reservations over Poch but I think he is a top manager still. I would prefer someone like Ten Hag though. Unproven at the top level but by all accounts has the potential makings of a world class manager. Somewhat in the vein of Nagelsmann in so far as he needs to go to a big team to prove himself.

Oh I do agree, it was just one sort of 'negative', at least to some. He's a great fit in many ways:

He won't rock the boat, which the Glazers will like. Fergie likes him a lot, he tries to play attractive football, doesn't need a massive budget, already popular with our fans to a degree, etc.

As long as he's given some degree of control, which I think he will be, it's an ideal situation in many ways. For all the criticism of the club, they have spent far more than most. Poch will probably spend less, but get far better results.

Soldato

Before he joined Spurs, we were a middle table team. For his four year tenure we finished top four every year and made the Champions League final in a year when Liverpool were a runaway success and nearly unbeatable. He did more with the team than any manager has done for a long time and arguably under Potch they were punching above their weight.

fez

fez

Caporegime
all on about the manager ? the players at man utd are not good enough for man utd and they know it, utd have had great managers after leather face and the players pushed them out, whoever you get in next will happen again.

We have a great set of players. The modern game is far more about the team than it has ever been which is why there are so many ex-players and pundits who don't seem to be able to rationalise the fact that times have moved on since they played. Neville is a prime example of this. He can't see that Uniteds main issues are that we don't have a modern manager or coaching staff.

Moyes is a bit of a throw back to an older style of football but he is still reasonably modern. He just doesn't have the mentality or play the kind of football top teams require.

LvG was a relic of the past. Played a very defined style of football that was fine 10-20 years ago but had been superceded and no longer worked.

Mourinho hasn't been at the top of his game for a decade now. His man management skills are stuck in the past and when players don't 100% dedicate themselves and thrive under him he just loses the plot.

Ole was just out of his depth in every conceivable way as a coach and manager. Realistically the only reason he got such a good start to his tenure was because he was the complete antithesis of Mourinho. He did exactly how you expect a manager who massively outspends 18/20 teams in the league would do if he was an awful coach and tactician. He relied on his players skills to the nth degree and when that didn't work he was devoid of ideas.

If we get the right manager we will be competing for trophies in very short time. Hell, if we got the right manager for the rest of the season I wouldn't bet against us having a decent run in the CL and easily getting top 4.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Before he joined Spurs, we were a middle table team. For his four year tenure we finished top four every year and made the Champions League final in a year when Liverpool were a runaway success and nearly unbeatable. He did more with the team than any manager has done for a long time and arguably under Potch they were punching above their weight.

This is how football works unfortunately. People genuinely used the fact Poch didn't win the CL as a stick to beat him with when he was competing against teams spending 10x what he had.

As soon as a team overachieves, people decide that the overachievement is the new baseline and anything less is failure.

IMO, Spurs issues were in large due to the comedown from their overachievement. The players knew that they were never going to reach those heights again and once things took a dip, they spiraled.

Permabanned
If we get the right manager we will be competing for trophies in very short time. Hell, if we got the right manager for the rest of the season I wouldn't bet against us having a decent run in the CL and easily getting top 4.

oh dear the merry go around again.

fez

fez

Caporegime
interesting article in the Athletic on Oles last few weeks

Link for those without a sub: https://archive.ph/t7m5L#selection-343.146-343.159

Most of that has been pretty obvious and makes complete sense to be fair. Its just amazing how such a rich club can be run so poorly and so sentimentally. Astounding that Ole had so much faith placed in him internally when literally the entire outside world was laughing at his quite apparent ineffectiveness in his job. It was like United thought that Ole was a caterpillar just waiting to become a butterfly. Just give it time. Time turns the average into the exceptional.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I'm genuinely relived that he has signed that extension. I wouldn't have put it past the board to think that Southgate was a candidate. I'm still unsure who is the worse manager. Ole or Southgate.

Man of Honour
All Man Utd sources are saying Pochettino wants the job right now, he doesn't want to miss out again. Looks like it could be Poch's side briefing on it too.

Hope they can get it done. I doubt PSG will care with Zidane (probably) ready to step in.

Let's be realistic, with the goons running things Poch is as good as we're going to get - and I'm OK with that. I like him.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I wanted him after Jose, he's definitely the best of the candidates that seem to be available. I think he's a better fit than Conte was.

Deffo a better fit than Conte. Hes more long term (in theory), plays nice football and deserves a shot at a top job. I don't read too much into his time at PSG and I don't read too much into his current form at PSG (top of league by 11pts).

I would honestly have preferred to give someone like Ten Haag a go because I think he is probably more in the mould of the Klopps and Guardiolas of the world but I would be more than happy with Poch.

If he does poorly after a couple of years, we look for a new manager and thank him for his time. One of the most important things United need to do is stop living in the past and stop listening to high profile characters from a different era. You can see it in people like Neville, Keane and the like. They don't want to talk about management because to them, management is Ferguson. Its giving 100% and working your socks off. Out working and being better than your opponent man for man. Nowadays you can put in as much effort as you want and you will get ripped to pieces if you aren't putting that effort down in the right places and at the right time.

Good players are that last 10%. Good coaching and management is the 90%. The best smaller teams in the league are those with good managers and good tactics. The best big teams in the league are the same but with top players to elevate them.

Soldato
Don't know too much about Poch or how spurs played but I think he likes a good project?

Someone like Ten Hag seems more attractive because of the footballing aspect though.

Must be a strange atmosphere at the club with Ole gone but his goons still there!

Caporegime
Don't know too much about Poch or how spurs played but I think he likes a good project?

De Gea said the players don't know how to defend or what to do with the ball, that won't happen with Poch.

I wouldn't judge him by what's going on at PSG, Tuchel was chewed up and spat out and won the UCL with Chelsea 4 months later. They're just a horrible club full of absolute divas.

The years he could have won the league for Spurs, everyone rolled over for Leicester who won the league with 81pts and then it was Conte's Chelsea who won an absolutely freakish 13 games on the bounce and 86pts wasn't enough.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom