Alarm system?

Soldato
My EzViz DB1 is pretty much instantaneous, its faster than Nest or Ring and it records direct to my Hik NVR

So what's generating the alert? The NVR or the camera? I'm guessing the doorbell on the camera unit. It would be interesting to know what 'instantaneous' timeframe actually is given that it has to generate a signal to the 'internet' and the 'internet' then has to find your phone then wake it up to display your message. The delay in my experience on the Ajax app is usually about 5 seconds, which feels like an eternity when you're waiting at the door.

Associate
I dont use the Ajax app for camera integration, I stick with the Hik App. Instantaneous is probably 0.5 - 1 second. Its the DB1 in the Hik Connect app that generates the notification. BTW the new Ajax product line looks stunning.

Associate
I ordered my mum the Ajax system and it was delivered yesterday. My plan is to install this weekend.

I ended up with the touch pad starter kit and added an extra door sensor for the garage and an ir sensor for the conservatory. I brought the price down by removing all the rest.

If it works out I'll consider suggesting adding more sensors for coverage.

She's still waiting for her garage door to be replaced. In the meantime, I've screwed 3x2 batons into the frame so the door cannot be opened.

Associate
I ordered my mum the Ajax system and it was delivered yesterday. My plan is to install this weekend.

I ended up with the touch pad starter kit and added an extra door sensor for the garage and an ir sensor for the conservatory. I brought the price down by removing all the rest.

If it works out I'll consider suggesting adding more sensors for coverage.

She's still waiting for her garage door to be replaced. In the meantime, I've screwed 3x2 batons into the frame so the door cannot be opened.

know that feeling i have 2 bits of timber holding my front door tight in the frame after some kind person tried to force it. my new door courtesy of the insurance was due to be fitted on the 10th ...now been informed it looks like middle of jan. apparently suppliers ran out and had to reorder...from europe :).

Associate
Hey all, I've been deciding between Texecom prem Elite vs Ajax.
??
I think the Ajax system is slightly more expensive but appear to be easier to fit. Apart from that any other pros/cons?
Also can the Ajax system be "part" set? ie only downstairs at night?

Texecom does appear to have more "votes" when I ask around but Im liking the look of the ajax solution, less boxes, sim not eSim etc

Associate
Hey all, I've been deciding between Texecom prem Elite vs Ajax.
??
I think the Ajax system is slightly more expensive but appear to be easier to fit. Apart from that any other pros/cons?
Also can the Ajax system be "part" set? ie only downstairs at night?

Texecom does appear to have more "votes" when I ask around but Im liking the look of the ajax solution, less boxes, sim not eSim etc

Yes, I think almost all alarm systems have a "Night mode"

Associate
I ordered from cctvdirect.co.uk. Came very quick. No issues to report. However, I had to order the 'Doubledeck' version, as the normal one was out of stock. So the outdoor siren doesn't have a grille, but a removable faceplate.

sMfet5by0NT6le3qa9hacNxph404et5wCEekVw-4G3hmxv_jUHWmd8sHrwJm_Kr3DsSxF20dZdWJqZdnwMsnZppZrwoiwlxqPgbGYHpPbvgVAR7wiStSy6fL7RBfv46n-OUUECGArnXEjFgafRJ41zj25tgMjjrpXYseAQwuJCzcxIt_PzR1joxRSuoL9S7Tg8WJVTmQAfMuhdGcpAng2JYHJtc0FK37ITl_ak9Tjyqi67D0X6C90IQWuYNKBc_PX_lFO5g4_IWRmHGD9y69S6BPGhKl6HJJQU92Hg3dJyYjCUY5kCpTmM0wkninHQG8UH6b_8jlfKMPjzXOCxL2XgRTOmbD5sq9HwPNvd1pfY1Su8IYmTT6xwPxCiElgAGmZwkt9CkzPZ4ltVtS_kpVV7QS7EbfZ9xPxJ2HsWr2Lx6YftUzK46iPG1WgylkqnsW8jUZFT1jocrYLySnG8TRVHmgbCTfegb5JzZRoxvbIn-ah9wNAxBsavxaaaJ8xIgVsfVyVXoiOdzNb5gFm4ZV-1kR0yOOoXNlezt5nhyNm7rrnI20L7_RWiBfFoL2BBCLSQH0wBebLynGB46coMBbBKaechSoFMNvG3JVWM-JTnAGdYLCxVX_Tm4hA9UjTYOV8czK7XQ9h8MfsX9RdplEwRe2j6adrVk8j0QNQYQrrBQF-ICMp7fDs4LjAnTxnQYiA3D3OHtxjWxDM045XZpP-IzRgQ=w1730-h1297-no

The install went very smoothly. I'm very impressed with the ease of installation and the quality of the kit. It's not fully operational yet, as I need to read a few manuals, work out how best to set it for my mum's needs and then explain how it works to her. The last bit is going to be the hardest. Not because I think the system will be hard to use, but because my mum can be intimidated by tech sometimes. But they fact my sister and I can get all the notifications and monitor/manage the system remotely will be an enormous benefit.

I opted for the black version, as I thought the indoor kit would be less intrusive. However, the black outdoor siren doesn't stand out very much and the LED is quite discrete, which reduces it's effect as a deterrent I think.

I'd love one myself, but I already have Hive window/door sensors, Hive lightbulbs and Hikvision CCTV, so I opted for a Hive alarm box which I'm yet to install.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's not fully operational yet, as I need to read a few manuals, work out how best to set it for my mum's needs and then explain how it works to her. The last bit is going to be the hardest. Not because I think the system will be hard to use, but because my mum can be intimidated by tech sometimes.

I generally supply the remote control “SpaceControl” for elderly people because they are used to locking and unlocking a car with a key fob. It’s the same thing, they’re just locking or unlocking their house. And the alerts pop up on their phones or tablets automatically so no need for much training really. The biggest issue is when they want the panic button enabled. Nightmare!

Associate
just read that most uk telcos are killing off 3g this year and early next. Does it mean the hub plus (with 3g backup) is DOA when it comes to 3g? I guess it will fall back to 2g but if one is installing a new installation i guess it doesnt make sense to install the hub plus but we should go straight to hub 2/+ right?

Back
Top Bottom