• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone just given up on looking for a new GPU?

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
lol at the thought that you can "just go out and buy a 450 quid console" they're subject to shortages as well parents are paying a grand or more to get one for xmas for the kids

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...esale-sites-paying-1000-new-Sony-console.html

Well according to some folk its 'the miners' which can apportion some part for sure but like lots of chip carrying technology there's limited supply. As proven with your point you cant blame the miners on consoles, so anyone wanting one even for xmas should have been trying all year not leaving it till last minute. :)

Soldato
The PC market is going to die in the not too distant future. Games will no longer be released on the PC as it won't be cost effective given the high cost of hardware for the masses. The only way this situation changes is if China start producing cheap GPUs (and CPUs for that matter) that are every bit as good as Intel/Nvidia/AMD. Given the economic situation in China though, that won't happen. China is now exporting inflation to the west, a complete 180 of the past 30 years.

I'd say make the most of what you have. Today's games, particularly AAAs are not very good anyway and certainly do not make the cost of GPUs justifiable. Higher end, or even mid-range will be for the rich kids before long. I'd estimate a mid-range GPU to be somewhere around £5000 by year end 2022.

I've seen this post (or similar) pretty much every year since I joined OcUK, and yet the PC gaming market seems to be very much alive and kicking (and in fact growing if the fact Sony & MS are now also releasing a lot of their games on PC is anything to go by). The cost of upgrading may have increased significantly, but the need to upgrade certainly hasn't. I'm pretty sure going back 15-20 years and unless you bought the very top end card, you pretty much needed to upgrade every 2-3 years to be able to play newer games at anything other than lowest settings. These days a midrange GPU will last you 5 years+, and a CPU even longer - my son is running my 10 year old i7 2600 and a 1650s (only marginally faster than a 5 year old 1060) and doesn't have any performance issues at 1080p.

I'm pretty sure a 3060ti will still be able to easily handle most games at 1080p in 4-5 years time (sure you aren't going to be able to turn everything to max, but if you're buying a mid-range card then that's to be expected)

Associate
I've seen this post (or similar) pretty much every year since I joined OcUK, and yet the PC gaming market seems to be very much alive and kicking (and in fact growing if the fact Sony & MS are now also releasing a lot of their games on PC is anything to go by). The cost of upgrading may have increased significantly, but the need to upgrade certainly hasn't. I'm pretty sure going back 15-20 years and unless you bought the very top end card, you pretty much needed to upgrade every 2-3 years to be able to play newer games at anything other than lowest settings. These days a midrange GPU will last you 5 years+, and a CPU even longer - my son is running my 10 year old i7 2600 and a 1650s (only marginally faster than a 5 year old 1060) and doesn't have any performance issues at 1080p.

I'm pretty sure a 3060ti will still be able to easily handle most games at 1080p in 4-5 years time (sure you aren't going to be able to turn everything to max, but if you're buying a mid-range card then that's to be expected)

A 3060 would have cooked itself to death by then

Associate
These days a midrange GPU will last you 5 years+, and a CPU even longer - my son is running my 10 year old i7 2600 and a 1650s (only marginally faster than a 5 year old 1060) and doesn't have any performance issues at 1080p.

That is kind of my point … if there is no need to upgrade then the bar isn’t being pushed software wise like it used to be and the market stagnates.

you even said yourself , consoles are also releasing for PC, which is different from PC games being adapted for releasing to consoles. The PC is the after thought now which could mean that PC games development suffers.

It’s not that pc gaming will disappear, maybe more that it will simply be held at the console level.

Soldato
you even said yourself , consoles are also releasing for PC, which is different from PC games being adapted for releasing to consoles. The PC is the after thought now which could mean that PC games development suffers.

That has been the case for AAA games for many years now anyway. If anything, the situation here is improving, since consoles are now basically cut down PCs rather than unique hardware, meaning if it runs OK on console it will likely run better on a PC with more powerful versions of the same CPU/GPU architecture - gone (mostly) are the days of lazy ports where performance is terribly unoptomised because they've had to rewrite half the engine from scratch!

As for dedicated PC games, there are still plenty of exclusives being released from big and indie studios (and everything in between)

Last edited:
Associate
Yes, prices are just retarded at the moment. Need a good battle between ATI and Nvidia (hopefully some newcomers... who knows?), we may then get some SENSIBLE prices. :/

Keeping my 1080Ti. Doing ok at present at 1440.

Last edited:
Associate
Its too bad Intel won't be using their own fabs for their Arc GPUs. Would have helped quite a bit with the supply given how impressive the stock levels have been on their CPUs having their own foundries.

Associate
JPR say shipments increased by 12%
AppgRz6.png
https://www.techpowerup.com/289243/...-card-shipments-increase-by-12-year-over-year
Thing this isn't the full dGPU report which AFAIR comes later, but the ration continues to be 83:17:
5c7xrw3.png
Which continues to look to me that consoles continue to get all AMD's TSMC wafers which aren't CPUs (although without the consoles AMD would never booked so many wafers in the first place).

EDIT: while I think this isn't the JPR dGPU report, there is an interesting dGPU stats:

Desktop graphics add-in boards (AIBs that use discrete GPUs) increased by 10.9% from the last quarter.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
JPR say shipments increased by 12%
AppgRz6.png
https://www.techpowerup.com/289243/...-card-shipments-increase-by-12-year-over-year
Thing this isn't the full dGPU report which AFAIR comes later, but the ration continues to be 83:17:
5c7xrw3.png
Which continues to look to me that consoles continue to get all AMD's TSMC wafers which aren't CPUs (although without the consoles AMD would never booked so many wafers in the first place).

EDIT: while I think this isn't the JPR dGPU report, there is an interesting dGPU stats:

60% gone to miners no doubt :p

Associate
60% gone to miners no doubt :p
Working the percentages for that is too hard.

Guess Steam surveys and global hashrates graphs for (mainly) Etherium might get some of the way, but it is hard to tell. Plus there are plenty of gamers who overpaid who are part-time mining to try make some of it back. POS is still nowhere to be seen: that should eventually lead to crazy surplus.

Caporegime
Working the percentages for that is too hard.

Guess Steam surveys and global hashrates graphs for (mainly) Etherium might get some of the way, but it is hard to tell. Plus there are plenty of gamers who overpaid who are part-time mining to try make some of it back. POS is still nowhere to be seen: that should eventually lead to crazy surplus.
Alternatively, PoS never happens (it's been "just around the corner" for years); or PoS happens but doesn't replace PoW across the board (because PoW remains profitable), and GPU mining continues to be a thing.

There are also people in the crypto space who dislike PoS, and see the energy and resource expenditure of PoW as beneficial for "security" reasons.

Associate
I got my 1080ti for £460 second hand a few years ago the last time the crypto bubble went. I'm hoping for a similar situation next year, or else I might just run the 1080ti to the end of time, as I'm not paying any more than that for anything. Other than that I've got my PS5 and Oculus Quest 2, which are good enough to while away the time.

Associate
I went through hell and back to land my 3080 TI. I am really dreading the prospect of going through that when the 4080 Ti launches and if the rumors are correct that it will be 2x the performance of 3080 Ti, I am worried it would end up being priced at £3000 on the street while the 30 series continues to be priced where it is

Back
Top Bottom