• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** The Official Alder Lake owners thread ***

Associate
For anyone interested,it is only 10 Minuter Cinebench test and does not mean anything
CPU Override manual 1.20v
LLC Mode 2
52 P-core
40 E-core
41- Ring
Multi score- was 29228,just took screen while running

Associate
Well I changed my mind for my build. I ordered 32 gig ddr4 3600 hz. Asus tuf z690 board and the 12900k with the nztx 360 aio.

It's running at 1.35 core voltage 54 core 1-4 the rest are 52. The e cores are at 4.0. Running the cooler at 50% i hit total package of 64 degrees after a few hours of gaming. Room is about 18 degrees. Cod vanguard 4k max everything runs 110 fps min a lot of the time 144+ the games uses all the p cores. Total warhammer 2 never drops below 74 fps In massive skaven scrapes. For me the difference from my 8770k 5.0 is a good amount of extra power.

Man of Honour
OP
I made a fatal error in mentioning that the additional EPS 12v 4 pin connector on the Z690 mobo is "optional" in another thread. WHilst it is optional on other boards, it seems it is needed on Z690. I was playing Cyberpunk last night and within 20 mins the game just randomly crashed to desktop. I reloaded it again not knowing wtf, then it did the same again within 20 mins.

I then loaded up Forza 5 and the same thing happened in that. I thought maybe it was the BIOS update I did earlier but then realised I had not gamed since disconnecting the EPS 12v connector as all resources I found online pointed it to being an optional power source for those extreme overclocking or those with dual/extra beefy GFX cards. I only have a 2070 Super so figured it's not needed.

After plugging it back in though no more crash to desktop. WIndows Reliability History showed the game crash error related to an "nv" system driver related to hardware. nv being nVidia. Put 2 and 2 together and realised that maybe Z690 does require the extra 4 pins connected up as the power draw is quite high or maybe it's because the Gigabyte boards use a 16+1+2 power phase?

So yeah, keep your EPS 12v connectors plugged in!

Ah!, if you can disconnect the fans from the pump that will let you flip the fans over on the rad from push to pull, meaning if fitted to the front it would suck air in. (through the dust guard).

I don't have the clearance to the MB to fit in the rad/fans to top mount, just room for 2 fans to push air out of the top.

Yup that's exactly how I have mine set up, you don't need to disconnect the fans to do this though, just unscrew the fans, move them as is to the other side of the rad and they become flipped so they are pulling anyway now. Disconnecting the fans from the built in Y splitter allows you to control the fans on their own via the mobo PWM headers which is what I am now doing leaving the pump and VRM fan to be controlled by the AIO Pump header instead.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I have a USB keyboard and it appears to be activated a split second after the 'press F2 or del to enter UEFI BIOS message appears.

I know I can get in to the BIOS via windows but that is a pain, any way I can ensure the keyboard comes on first?

Asus motherboard by the way.

Man of Honour
OP
On this Gigabyte board a cold boot results in a delayed activation of the keyboard so I miss the UEFI prompt to press del. Within seconds I'm at the logon screen. I then restart from the logon screen and can now see the prompt and am able to get into the BIOS with the keyboard. It's a few seconds extra time but the simplest way to get into the BIOS in that situation.

Soldato
Well I changed my mind for my build. I ordered 32 gig ddr4 3600 hz. Asus tuf z690 board and the 12900k with the nztx 360 aio.

It's running at 1.35 core voltage 54 core 1-4 the rest are 52. The e cores are at 4.0. Running the cooler at 50% i hit total package of 64 degrees after a few hours of gaming. Room is about 18 degrees. Cod vanguard 4k max everything runs 110 fps min a lot of the time 144+ the games uses all the p cores. Total warhammer 2 never drops below 74 fps In massive skaven scrapes. For me the difference from my 8770k 5.0 is a good amount of extra power.

What percentage difference we talking here? 20%? 10%?

Man of Honour
OP
E cores are not hyperthreaded, only the P cores are. So 8 P cores = 16 threads + 4x E cores = 20 threads total. In task manager each physical P core sits left of the HT core from core 0, P cores start first, the E cores are always the last in the grid.

Associate
@TheFlyingFinn When you do get it built and up and going let us know how you go in, also if your RAM is picked up my XMP etc. Seems a solid board, from that video link.

Even tho I have not got anything even considered to buy I still purchased a Socket 1700 mounting bracket from Arctic Cooling for my 420mm AIO. Who knows it might end up being the only thing that I do buy for Alder Lake :D
Got the system built over the weekend and everything worked fine out of the box. Set XMP on BIOS and no issues. Haven't done any tweaking for CPU or Memory otherwise yet. MSI Pro Z60-A DDR4 + 12700K.
Temps with Noctua NH-D15S when running Cinebench Multicore test top out at 82C and package power usage is at about 188W. Under normal load temps are much lower.

Weird issue though, I'm still using a GTX 1060 and I have my primary monitor hooked up via DVI and a TV is used as a secondary monitor via HDMI. Suddenly, BIOS started launching via HDMI rather than DVI which it was doing initially. I'm not quite sure what's happening, but my primary isn't "primary" until Windows loads for some reason. I thought GPU BIOS should be setting the order of how ports are prioritized.
I can't find any setting to select GPU output priorites in the motherboard BIOS and not sure if there is even supposed to be one. But I don't really understand how it worked fine initially :D

Associate
is it just me or is the core utilisation really uneven with Win10? it maxes out core 0 and 1 but hardly uses any of the others and never utilises the hyperthreading cores with the 2 games tested so far (warzone and jedi fallen order)?

I also randomly lose one of my SSD drives from Windows, it just disappears and then if i reboot it will often come back, I'm using an MSI Z690-A DDR4 board.

Soldato
Well how's it run can it play crysis lol.

Only booted a few mins ago! Had to do a full dusting/clean before installing the new system

Good news, SP85 rated chip! Not the SP90 of my 11900k, but above average is always good. Have a busy day with clients at work tomorrow, so off to bed now! BIOS update/tinkering to come later!

Some pics for anyone interested!

zZTje9Y.jpg sURVp3m.jpg oxz8Ydc.jpg wanV4Co.jpg

Back
Top Bottom