Food in Singapore

Soldato
You should try the chicken joy in the Jollibee in the UK. I think it's much nicer than any of the other locations around the globe. Even my Filipino wife likes the UK version.

Chilli crab at Jumho Seafood is a good shout. Arguably the best but there's loads of other places that offer it and I've never had a bad chilli crab in Singapore.

Caporegime
OP
Okay i am back!

Preface - Covid restrictions are VERY much in place in Singapore, dining inside are limited to 2 max per group and about 75% of seats are physically blocked off so lots of places encourages take aways, which explains why i ate in my room quite frequently in the photos.

My first meal was actually some take away delivered dim sum but forgot to take any photos as I had just landed after a restless flight, had a 4hr nap while waiting for my PCR test before I was released into the wild.

First meal out was Chicken Rice. Very nice, i think it cost me like £3.50

HeFNMiC.jpg

Random drink I got from the shop. Salted Lychee.

AspTt0Z.jpg

I then explored for the rest of the afternoon/evening, eventually got back at 10:30 to my area and right opposite the hotel was a Shake Shack. I got the Black Truffle Burger with Pandan Shake, which explains the bits on top of the milkshake.

V85y6Kj.jpg

My first morning at the hotel was some Nasi Lemark, which I think it' just means Coconut Milk Rice, usually served with some fried crispy anchovies, peanuts and cucumber and some kind of meat or protein.

TKSXrnv.jpg

Lunch I got some Calpis and a Sushi set from the supermarket.

vwAaSCC.jpg

An early dinner I went to Din Tai Fong

i5EtNdX.jpg

KWSCrqz.jpg

PcMaXJc.jpg

ujDWAvW.jpg

Later I got from one of the MANY MANY tea places some fruit tea. I think I got some summer fruit mix with pineapples.

zrzRjtv.jpg

A late night snack at a hawker centre, chicken and prawn satay skewers with Sugar Cane juice.

iSJ8sIv.jpg

qOlg1WT.jpg

qPpI1u2.jpg

Next day I slept in so woke up late enough for lunch, went to Jollibee. I also got some spaghetti, which is surprising nice. Not amazing, but nicer than it has any right to be.

DH7RHuU.jpg

QPs9pXi.jpg

Went to China Town but it was dead, the China Town Hawker Centre was also shut for 2 days for cleaning, walked over to Maxwell and got Chicken rice.

j0QkF4e.jpg

LrieD2S.jpg

Picked up some Lychee Tonic Coffee at Somerset @313 at Orchard.

QEUVp0L.jpg

Dinner I got an Australian grill thing. Was cheap like £6 but wasn't that filling so picked up some bread from a bakery.

SA5u7aA.jpg

Yes, that's a donut kind of dough, and that is also a sausage.

eY2XSKp.jpg

This now is the same dough but chicken curry.

JDtNBsu.jpg

Mentaiko with ham bread

u3NmhM7.jpg

Some kind of milk something cream pastry.

tAPcdhi.jpg

d0RU9S4.jpg

pYpTDDw.jpg

Hotel breakfast…western version, this was the last time I had hotel breakfast.

565feWx.jpg

More Chicken rice, with watermelon juice.

k7404f6.jpg

Later i got a Mango Pie from McDonald's. It has real chunks of Mangos inside and it is amazing.

fxJUorn.jpg

wLHTLOp.jpg

Nitro cold brew.

tdCvbxf.jpg

NXpOGXO.jpg

Picked up one of each egg tarts with boba tea.

E7ZQewE.jpg

w7yAOzR.jpg

4XXqi01.jpg

This place actually has a Michelin Star.

j1hw8FF.jpg

For dinner I got some Indonesian stir fry, w which tastes very Cantonese to me.

59NAy1d.jpg

Slept in again, went to get some Unagi sushi with some roast duck and wonton noodles.

kx6AMqf.jpg

x21zmFl.jpg

pFm3CQd.jpg

Some Calpis and jelly for dessert.

QmfNXnG.jpg

Didn't eat anything at all until my dinner reservation at the Ritz Carlton, it's meant to be a buffet but due to covid it was table service and order from 55 items, you can order as many times as you like with no time limit. It became essentially like a taster menu because each dish is quite small.

I started it off with some sushi, some salmon, tuna and octopus. The wasabi is also real, not fake.

uEX1Gvo.jpg

Some Oysters, they were alright, a bit anaemic, but went down easy.

BvGErA5.jpg

A mini sea food platter with prawns, clams and crab.

V0xOnCw.jpg

I forgot what this was exactly but it's prawns, mandarins barley salad?

96n1IeJ.jpg

Got a piece of steak with some mash.

AylsuhD.jpg

LibLdL2.jpg

Then cow cheeks with truffles, this was the most surprising dish, VERY soft and tasty

y6IMX4m.jpg

Chinese roast meats, duck, char shui and roast pork.

CJHjzXm.jpg

Then the lady heard wrong what i said and also brought over some Chicken rice.

lc7qCR4.jpg

What i really wanted was some Chicken Satay

UmyzNPF.jpg

Then had some Soft Shell Crab with the classic chilli sauce, it comes with the bread that they are eaten with.

t1x6lNn.jpg

This is sweet chilli beef, salted egg fish skins (AMAZING) and chicken wing.

ZhitL31.jpg

Got a serving of dim sum because i wanted this salted egg custard bun.

A1PltI7.jpg

w9PqjHC.jpg

And I ordered 5 desserts…Lychee something on the left, Tiramisu, mango pudding and then a mocha cookie thing.

57Tpyww.jpg

And also a chocolate lava cake with ice-cream.

usfOP8n.jpg

Next day…I slept in AGAIN! this is some Laksa with chicken.

KpMt3Jt.jpg

Some green tea drink.

RGPoHCN.jpg

For dinner I ate Tim Ho Wan.

tnv9n7I.jpg

Michelin Star for this bun from the HK branch, taste exactly the same.

DTnOt8Z.jpg

Went to the hotel bar on the last night and had a couple of drinks.

78t3jHA.jpg

P0Hmq8n.jpg

Last meal before i headed to the airport i went in search for chilli crab, which was quite expensive considering this was at a Hawker Centre, it cost $38 sg, the meal at the Ritz was $98.

oVisy2b.jpg

Soldato
Nice pics Raymond! Surprised at the chilli crab cost, I thought that would be on every menu and therefore cheap as everything else in the hawker centres?

Caporegime
OP
Nice pics Raymond! Surprised at the chilli crab cost, I thought that would be on every menu and therefore cheap as everything else in the hawker centres?

Yeah, most dishes at the hawker Center is like $8 at most, but sea food just cost quite a lot more. I was going to get some Tiger Prawns but they were $16 each and I had my last $50 on me. Minimum withdrawal at the ATM is $100 so I just got the crab. It’s very nice though but for basically like £20, it’s not hawker Center prices like other meals.

The meal at the Ritz Carlton though…£50 a total bargain, if I live in Singapore I would treat myself there once a couple of months. I was there almost 3hrs, great service, food cooked to order, well most of it. I think some items are pre-prepared like the desserts and seafood plate, the prawns were cooked but cold.

Caporegime
OP
Looks stunning Ray. Ritz Carlton seems great value.

didn’t go for a Sling at Raffles?

Narh, I thought about it but I want the whole experience with the peanuts which I hear is not being offered at the moment. I did go to basically everywhere else from Sentosa island (Universal Studio was shut that day), Little India, Clarke Quays. I did make a mistake and walk into immigration so I missed there Jewel....meaning I HAVE to go back.

I will make a stop over for 2 days when I eventually make my way to Aus/NZ.

Permabanned
All look's exquisite Raymond! The 2 photos of the Calpis had me pining hard... A friend brought me 2 bottles of the concentrate for my Birthday and whilst I like it a lot, it's not a patch on the OG standard bottled stuff. My absolute favorite drink of all time.

Caporegime
OP
All look's exquisite Raymond! The 2 photos of the Calpis had me pining hard... A friend brought me 2 bottles of the concentrate for my Birthday and whilst I like it a lot, it's not a patch on the OG standard bottled stuff. My absolute favorite drink of all time.

My last trip to Japan, my FIRST drink I got when I got off the plane was Calpis, before coffee, before Matcha, before Pocari Sweat. I think you can get Calpis here from Korean supermarket but it's expensive. That large bottle was £2? Not much different to a 2L bottled of coke.

Permabanned
My last trip to Japan, my FIRST drink I got when I got off the plane was Calpis, before coffee, before Matcha, before Pocari Sweat. I think you can get Calpis here from Korean supermarket but it's expensive. That large bottle was £2? Not much different to a 2L bottled of coke.

Luckily Birmingham has quite a few Asian supermarkets where you can get it but it's never cheap. The standard 500ml bottle can set you back 2 quid and I've seen the concentrate go for anywhere between 10 to 17! It's the same with Milkis. It's like Sophies choice when they have both in stock and I'm on a budget :(

I've always found Pocari Sweat to be the most difficult to find and the most expensive which is a pain as I like to have some stored away for when I'm hungover...

Caporegime
OP
Luckily Birmingham has quite a few Asian supermarkets where you can get it but it's never cheap. The standard 500ml bottle can set you back 2 quid and I've seen the concentrate go for anywhere between 10 to 17! It's the same with Milkis. It's like Sophies choice when they have both in stock and I'm on a budget :(

I've always found Pocari Sweat to be the most difficult to find and the most expensive which is a pain as I like to have some stored away for when I'm hungover...

H-Mart has Pocari Sweat online. In the store they sell them in larger bottles.

https://hmart.co.uk/shop/en/fruit-j...-dong-a-pocari-sweat-245ml-8801097150010.html

Back
Top Bottom