The 2021 Black Friday Deals Thread

Soldato
Predictably the Ninja Airfryer I bought for £150 is now £130. Very annoying Amazon won't credit the difference, so I've returned it to buy it again. £20 saving is worth it for me, and the returns shop is on my morning walk but surely they can consider offering credits?

Soldato
OP
New Samsung heat pump tumble dryer bought thanks to a fairly decent saving. Sadly the washing machine is still going strong lol. Talk about exciting stuff.

We've had our samsung washing machine and tumble dryer going strong for years. Brilliant machines.
Replaced both our neff ones which lasted all but a handful of years. Absolute **** just like the oven and microwave.

When we have our new kitchen, I'll more than likely go back to Samsung. Very impressed with them, not a brand I'd associate with white goods.

Soldato
Didn't you move in to a new place recently? Did that not come with new appliances?

Not me, mate. Been in this house since 2016. I do desperately need to move though. My health isn't great and the house just isn't suitable.

We've had our samsung washing machine and tumble dryer going strong for years. Brilliant machines.
Replaced both our neff ones which lasted all but a handful of years. Absolute **** just like the oven and microwave.

When we have our new kitchen, I'll more than likely go back to Samsung. Very impressed with them, not a brand I'd associate with white goods.

To be fair our Candy appliances have done pretty well, considering they where budget models. Just got to the point where it doesn't make sense to keep repairing it. Besides the dryer is pretty expensive to run.

So many people recommend the Samsung white goods, like you I'd never really associated the brand with appliances. The 5 year parts and labour warranty is damn good as well.

Soldato
Predictably the Ninja Airfryer I bought for £150 is now £130. Very annoying Amazon won't credit the difference, so I've returned it to buy it again. £20 saving is worth it for me, and the returns shop is on my morning walk but surely they can consider offering credits?
Be the bigger man and return the 'new' one (on the old receipt) to avoid stuff going to landfill to boot.

Soldato
That would defeat the whole object of any kind of sales (Black Friday, Boxing Day, whatever) though. People would just buy goods in the run up and then hope for a deal before something sells out, and they could return them if they aren't in the sales and another similar item is if they bag one. It would be a logistical nightmare and I'm sure Amazon probably have the data to prove it otherwise they would just do the perceived easier thing of just refunding the difference.

Associate
Aren't airfryers literally just tabletop convection ovens in a smaller form? I really don't get it. They're not doing anything magical and food should not turn out any better. I guess it's just convenience factor.

Soldato

It sometimes depends who you get on the chat, sometimes they'll offer the refund, other times they'll just stick to a script which is annoying when you try pointing out it's costing them to collect the return and post the original!

I once had something delivered by mistake that was really long. It cost £17 to return it which they gave me, despite the item only being worth £8

That would defeat the whole object of any kind of sales (Black Friday, Boxing Day, whatever) though. People would just buy goods in the run up and then hope for a deal before something sells out, and they could return them if they aren't in the sales and another similar item is if they bag one. It would be a logistical nightmare and I'm sure Amazon probably have the data to prove it otherwise they would just do the perceived easier thing of just refunding the difference.

I agree, maybe not do so automatically, but if the request came in, then you'd think they'd realise it makes sense.

Soldato
More than 90% of Black Friday deals were the same price or cheaper in the six months before the sales event last year, a Which? investigation has found.

The consumer association told shoppers to make sure the discounts were "truly genuine" ahead of this year's sales.

It said 184 out of 201 items from six retailers, which included Amazon and John Lewis, were priced the same or cheaper before Black Friday in 2020.

Trading standards warned a deal "may not be what it's all cracked up to be".

Katherine Hart, lead officer at the Chartered Trading Standards Institute, added the "prospect of scams rears its ugly head" during the sales event, which takes place on Friday.

"It seems that the Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales events get bigger every year, and many bargains can be found; however, we all must remain vigilant and practise shopping safety," she added.

"Sometimes sellers raise their prices before a sales period to make it look like a great deal is on offer during the sale."

Which? said popular items it found to be the same price or less before Black Friday last year included washing machines, soundbars and TVs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59380453

No surprise really, I'm sure we are all aware of the usual sale tactics. I do miss some of the genuinely good deals you used to get on Black Friday though, think the last one I bought was a few years ago before it turned into a month long event.

Soldato
It sometimes depends who you get on the chat, sometimes they'll offer the refund, other times they'll just stick to a script which is annoying when you try pointing out it's costing them to collect the return and post the original!

I once had something delivered by mistake that was really long. It cost £17 to return it which they gave me, despite the item only being worth £8

I agree, maybe not do so automatically, but if the request came in, then you'd think they'd realise it makes sense.
A computer place I use has a price promise where it anything during this whole time is cheaper on actual black Friday they refund the difference. I've had Amazon just refund the difference before but like said it depends who you get.

Back
Top Bottom