Poll: *** The official 2021 14" and 16" Macbook Pro thread (it has an SD slot and everything!) ***

Will you be buying a new MacBook Pro

• Yes, 14"

Votes: 43 31.9%
  • Yes, 16"

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • No

Votes: 64 47.4%

• Total voters
Don
OP
Sounds like something is up. The first thing I'd try is a complete rebuild of the OS. No Time Machine recovery etc. Set up as a new Mac and see if the issue persists.

Soldato
MacRS4>Maybe you can help me. I have just received my macbook pro and I am using it with a LG 4k. It's model number is LG27UK850.

I have connected the Macbook using USB-C. I then close my macbook and when it goes to sleep sometimes it comes out of sleep but a majority of time it doesn't. ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

Hmmm. I don't get that on the 5K but that's Thunderbolt connected rather than USB-C. Weirdly, my old Dell 4K screens used to do something similar - that turned out to be crappy USB-C to HDMI cables. I swapped them for better ones (by accident when re-arranging the desk) and the problem went away.

Looking a the Apple forums a lot of people seem to be having this issue with USB-C connected screens from the look of it.

Associate
Via USB-C. Yesterday I tried both the USB-c and HDMI connections to no avail. 1-2 times out of 10 it will wake the monitor but usually I just get a no signal screen or just a blank screen. It could be argued that may be an issue with M1 based chips. But I use to own a M1 Mac Mini and never experienced this.

Man of Honour
Via USB-C. Yesterday I tried both the USB-c and HDMI connections to no avail. 1-2 times out of 10 it will wake the monitor but usually I just get a no signal screen or just a blank screen. It could be argued that may be an issue with M1 based chips. But I use to own a M1 Mac Mini and never experienced this.
Is the monitor charging the Mac with the USB-C cable? I'm thinking that it might be that the monitor power settings stop power output when it goes to sleep or after a certain amount of time.

Associate
Yes it is being powered by the USB-C. I have had Macbooks before this is the first time I have encountered this problem. Deep sleep mode has been disabled and the normal sleep mode is set for 8 hours (although I don't know what the difference is).

Last edited:
Soldato
I been having a weird problem waking from sleep too. My Macbook is also plugged into a monitor via USB C. Its happened a few times now, when I wake the Macbook it wakes up but keyboard and trackpad stop working. I can move the cursor but all the click actions don't work.

Associate
Smokedog>How often has it happened. For example when my mac goes to sleep 7 times out of 10 it cannot wake the monitor at all. I use a bluetooth keyboard and trackpad as well. Out of the 3 times it does wake the monitor (I have set it as the main display) 1 of the three times it then runs as an extended monitor which is useless for my needs.

Associate
Although I've not had monitor problems coming out of sleep I have had mine crash on several occasions overnight while 'asleep'.

I'm powering the Macbook using USB C from the monitor.

Associate
It seems like a few of us are having a few issues related to when the MacBook either goes into sleep or while coming out of sleep while connected via USB-C. Seeming as it using standard cabling and standard connection I can assume it's hardware/software bug on the Mac end. This will require a update via OS but it remains if it will be coming anytime soon. As a laptop it works as intended 100% although the screen has poor motion response. But as a desktop replacement or laptop based setup with multiple screens is falling way short for me. I have another 2 weeks or so to see if they can fix it via updates otherwise I will return it.

It may have a pro moniker and most certainly a price to match but if it has these sleep problems when connected to a monitor it's a huge deal breaker for me. I will wait for the new refreshed Mac mini instead.

Associate
just cancelled my Max was due next week (netherlands) feel the 4700 euros with applecare is to much for a new/not needed gadget....decided to wait for a macmini revamp instead

Associate
Donnie Fisher>It's possible but more than likely is due to the chip shortage. It would have been fantastic if they could have released it when the Macbooks were released. But then it might conflict with Macbook sales. But one could argue when you factor in a screen, keyboard, mouse. Then it is comparable depending on what macbook you were looking at.

But if we are looking at a M1 Mac mini with the M1 Pro max chip let alone M2 wonder if the price would be £2k

Associate
I just used to feel that the mini was a generation behind the iMac in the Intel days, and I can’t yet see that changing.

Ie the iMac and MacBooks will move to an upper level of chips (whatever they may be) but the mini remain m1 and move later.

I always felt it a deliberate ploy. I suspect that it was to push towards the MacBooks/iMacs because they were ‘visible’ products that people carried about with a big apple logo on the back of it when being used. The mini far more likely to be hidden behind a non apple product monitor.

then again, if apple brought out a display …

Back
Top Bottom