Monzo/Starling Banking/Revolut

Man of Honour
I got a text from Barclaycard this morning just after 7am saying that my direct debit has been cancelled. I've spoken to them and they said the instruction came from my bank (Monzo) and that the payment has been returned. I'm now on hold to Monzo via the chat and I'm not particularly happy, as I haven't cancelled any direct debit and I was asleep at 7am! I've sent them an in app chat message 30 minutes ago and I don't have a reply yet and the phone number told me to use the app.

Edit:

Just realised the DD was never set up with Monzo and was still with my old bank so I’m not entirely sure what’s happened there. Monzo still haven’t replied to the chat which isn’t great to be honest.

Last edited:
Soldato
I recall watching a segment on BBC about Starling freezing accounts based on their fraud algorithm and how people were left high and dry without access to any funds.

Well, that's just happened to me. Apparently receiving a payment for a 3090 raised a flag with their Fraud Software and my account is now restricted, no access to any funds at all.I've been asked to provided proof of the sale, and delivery confirmation which I've complied with but to say I'm a little irate is an understatement. At present I'm still awaiting an update from Starling but the resentment is growing.

Soldato
The same thing happened to my brother when he sold a car in a private sale. Starling were an utter nightmare and I ended up having to give him money until they released his account.

He ditched them shortly after, funnily enough,

Man of Honour
Well, that's just happened to me. Apparently receiving a payment for a 3090 raised a flag with their Fraud Software and my account is now restricted, no access to any funds at all.I've been asked to provided proof of the sale, and delivery confirmation which I've complied with but to say I'm a little irate is an understatement. At present I'm still awaiting an update from Starling but the resentment is growing.
I had similar with Santander, but I had to go into a branch before my account was unlocked. I guess things may have changed since with them.

Monzo gave me pretty poor response times recently to the in app chat and I couldn't get through on the phone as it kept saying use the in app chat. I think it was 14 hours before I got a response (albeit overnight) but for any pressing banking matters that's really not acceptable.

Soldato
The same thing happened to my brother when he sold a car in a private sale. Starling were an utter nightmare and I ended up having to give him money until they released his account.

He ditched them shortly after, funnily enough,

Ditched them for who?

My other account is with First Direct. Considering just sticking with them as a main since whenever I needed to call them up for something, it was completely hassle-free.

App UI isn't all that nice, but oh well.

Soldato
Ditched them for who?

My other account is with First Direct. Considering just sticking with them as a main since whenever I needed to call them up for something, it was completely hassle-free.

App UI isn't all that nice, but oh well.

First Direct following a recommendation from me. I've been with them for 22 (I think) years.

He'd had problems with Starling and Monzo so had lost faith in shiny new banks.

The First Direct app isn't the prettiest of things, but I find it works well and on the odd occasion I need to talk to them on the phone it's unusual if they haven't answered within 30 seconds.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
First direct and I use starling as nothing more than a firewall for anything that doesn't take amex. Starling is still a Noddy bank with crap customer service.

Soldato
First direct and I use starling as nothing more than a firewall for anything that doesn't take amex. Starling is still a Noddy bank with crap customer service.

Completely disagree with that. Been with them for 4 years and no major issues. Customer service is very prompt when I’ve dealt with them. They consistently score very highly on customer satisfaction too.

Soldato
First Direct following a recommendation from me. I've been with them for 22 (I think) years.

He'd had problems with Starling and Monzo so had lost faith in shiny new banks.

The First Direct app isn't the prettiest of things, but I find it works well and on the odd occasion I need to talk to them on the phone it's unusual if they haven't answered within 30 seconds.

The main thing that was offputting to me is when I first got FD I had to go through a phone call to set up a way for me to pay into my credit account with them because there was no way to do it by default within the app, I had to setup a payee. Very dumb.

Soldato
Though I'd ask this here as sort of relevant.

Anyone bank with Barclays and use the Android Contactless Mobile? If so, do you get the Default App issues popping up now and then?

Soldato
anyone elses revolut being proper **** today?

Trying to use the virtual card for puchases but cant view the cvv or card number due to an error and half the things in Revolut are slow or throwing errors atm

Back
Top Bottom