• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** The Official Alder Lake owners thread ***

Soldato
@TheFlyingFinn Great that you got up and going. I have a two monitor setup and always need to keep my secondary monitor switched off during the boot process or it becomes my primary until Windows starts. Not a big deal and only matters if I wish to enter the BIOS and use the primary monitor to view it. Otherwise it displays on my second.

Soldato
S
Only booted a few mins ago! Had to do a full dusting/clean before installing the new system

Good news, SP85 rated chip! Not the SP90 of my 11900k, but above average is always good. Have a busy day with clients at work tomorrow, so off to bed now! BIOS update/tinkering to come later!

Some pics for anyone interested!

zZTje9Y.jpg sURVp3m.jpg oxz8Ydc.jpg wanV4Co.jpg

Whoop whoop can't wait to get mine together.

Associate
@TheFlyingFinn Great that you got up and going. I have a two monitor setup and always need to keep my secondary monitor switched off during the boot process or it becomes my primary until Windows starts. Not a big deal and only matters if I wish to enter the BIOS and use the primary monitor to view it. Otherwise it displays on my second.
For me it doesn't seem to help if the TV is off. And what is weird is that it used to boot into my DVI monitor just fine. With old system and initially with this new one as well. So I don't really know what happened :)
A non-issue really, just a minor inconvenience.

Soldato
@TheFlyingFinn Your issue reminded me of something that happened with one of my GPU's - a 1080Ti. The problem occurred that neither the BIOS or POST screen would display, but fine in Windows. NVidia have a firmware update available that runs and checks if it needs to be applied and then does so if needed. After that it was fine for me. On my later GPU, a 3070, that is fine as it must already have that required update.
I used to have that firmware from NVidia but I no longer seem to have it available. But it might give you a clue as to where to look...?

I do not think that this is the one I'm thinking about....

Graphics Firmware Update for DisplayPort 1.3 and 1.4 Displays | NVIDIA (custhelp.com)

Soldato
Same as my 12700k, guess I got fairly lucky!

Nice :) My chip was made in Vietnam too, so thought I'd get a terrible clocker (made in China ones tend to have the higher SP values, but clearly there are exceptions!)

Loving the aesthic of the Asus board though! Still have to connect up lighting strips and further tidy cables, but happy so far :)

WmPjb5T.jpg

Caporegime
Here to join you chaps.
DPD just came. yay!

20211123-141906.jpg

CPU says made in China too which apprantely is good from the post above (?)

Now i just need to claim the Asus cashback and figure out what cooler to buy.

Any recommendations for a reasonably priced air cooler that would do the job?

Soldato
Does buying OEM make a difference anymore, looking at a 12700k build and noticed it states 3 year warranty on the OCUK product page.

Nope. You'll not get the retail box, and it's possible that some retailers will have binned the chips, so you could be more likely to get a terrible clocker.

That said, OCUK swear they do not bin the OEM stock, though it's been known that some other UK retailers do.

Soldato
Here to join you chaps.
DPD just came. yay!

CPU says made in China too which apprantely is good from the post above (?)

Now i just need to claim the Asus cashback and figure out what cooler to buy.

Any recommendations for a reasonably priced air cooler that would do the job?

I have the 12600K cooled by the Noctua NH-D15S chroma, does a great job but with the strix gaming A you have to turn it 180 degrees to clear the plastic on the top VRM. A cheaper alternative is the Be Quiet dark rock slim, no compatibility issues.

Review the mobo for an extra £25 from Asus.

Caporegime
I have the 12600K cooled by the Noctua NH-D15S chroma, does a great job but with the strix gaming A you have to turn it 180 degrees to clear the plastic on the top VRM. A cheaper alternative is the Be Quiet dark rock slim, no compatibility issues.

Review the mobo for an extra £25 from Asus.

Thanks. I don't suppose you (or anyone else if they see this post), knows if the thermaltake Toughair 510 fits and is adequate?

Back
Top Bottom