Road rage

Soldato
Yes, if possible I pull over to let them pass.

As a counter I am encountering a lot of people driving well under the speed limit at the moment, e.g. showing 26/7 on my speedo in a 30, 40 in a 60, 50 on a motorway with no significant traffic, etc.

That might have something to do with the fuel price.

But frankly i'm amazed how much traffic is on the roads these days even with an astronomical fuel price. Seems to suggest that people aren't too bothered about the cost.

Soldato
That might have something to do with the fuel price.

But frankly i'm amazed how much traffic is on the roads these days even with an astronomical fuel price. Seems to suggest that people aren't too bothered about the cost.
Yeah I suspect it's a lot of people trying to save money. Personally I'm still looking at 5L V8 Jaags as a last huzzah before I end up in an electric Jazz or something. :p

Soldato
I'll mostly do 60 on my commute to work as I'm in no rush, get behind a truck and set the cruise.
Saves a good amount over a week. Only go slower on the motorway though everywhere else just do the limit.

Soldato
I'll mostly do 60 on my commute to work as I'm in no rush, get behind a truck and set the cruise.
Saves a good amount over a week. Only go slower on the motorway though everywhere else just do the limit.

If you’re behind a truck fair enough. It’s the ones in the middle lane or outside lane that are rage inducing.

Have you done any sort of maths on the amount you’re saving or just filling up, say, every 7 days instead of 5?

Soldato
If you’re behind a truck fair enough. It’s the ones in the middle lane or outside lane that are rage inducing.

Have you done any sort of maths on the amount you’re saving or just filling up, say, every 7 days instead of 5?
I just go off the computer i get a definite increase in mpg dropping that speed down to 60 I think it's a lot to do with how smooth you drive though just a constant 60. Where at 70 you'll be doing 65, 68 70 75 to overtake someone. You know just normal motorway stuff.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime

It really does save a load of fuel if you are happy to drive slowly. 99% i don't want to waste the time as the time is all my own these days, but if i do slow down to around 60 (from 70-80) in my Cayenne i consume loads less fuel - as much as 10-15MPG indicated difference. Aerodynamics of my stupid car obviously more of a factor than a hatchback/saloon. Thats a huge percentage saving.

Caporegime
I've found that as well, I wonder if it's as cars get bigger people get less perceptive to the speed they're doing so 30 feels slow.
I just stick the limiter on these days and don't worry or need to look at my speed anymore that bit more attention can be made to other things.

This. I must admit with big engined SUVS its so easy to go over 30mph, the engine is barely doing anymore than ticking over as well. I always use the limiter myself in towns

Soldato
She was easily able to open her passenger door and swing it into mine.

Police just rang me back and at the end said they will issue her with a warning. He seemed to suggest that taking it further was pointless. Fine by me. Just wanted them to speak to her.

As for going faster it was in a school area with my daughters school just at the top of the hill. I see idiots speeding up and down it all the time. I didnt want to do that. I was about to stop anyway!

Are you able to ask the police for her details so you can claim on your car insurance for the damage, and then go round and see her to make the claim?

Soldato
Are you able to ask the police for her details so you can claim on your car insurance for the damage, and then go round and see her to make the claim?
That's what Id do your legally allowed to get their details so you can chase them to recover your costs.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
He said that he has minimal to no damage on his car - as nice as the principle of teaching her a lesson is, i wouldn't personally want to raise a claim in that situation. It'll involve admin in the short term, and then flag for years.

Soldato
He said that he has minimal to no damage on his car - as nice as the principle of teaching her a lesson is, i wouldn't personally want to raise a claim in that situation. It'll involve admin in the short term, and then flag for years.

I don’t suggest raising a claim either, be nice to have her address though, go round ask her what her problem is.

Caporegime
They won't have an answer and will quickly become the victim when confronted, like most people who can't handle the consequences of their actions.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I don’t suggest raising a claim either, be nice to have her address though, go round ask her what her problem is.
Sounds a bit keyboard warrior'y to me :p - you don't know her situation, and to be honest isn't this actually more likely to backfire on the OP if she were to react badly?

(i don't really know what i mean, but this doesn't seem right to go to her private house, this is insurance/legal or nothing?)

Man of Honour
I've found that as well, I wonder if it's as cars get bigger people get less perceptive to the speed they're doing so 30 feels slow.
I just stick the limiter on these days and don't worry or need to look at my speed anymore that bit more attention can be made to other things.

I've done a fair bit with larger pickups and SUVs - never have a problem myself with a large, bigger engined vehicle - sure there is a perception change but it doesn't take much to adapt to it - it is just people being lazy.

Though I do find 20 limits a pain in my pickup - but that is because of the setup of my truck - a bit difficult to explain to anyone who hasn't driven the vehicle but the power delivery in the ~10-22 MPH region is a bit Jekyll and Hyde and the limiter is too much faffing around to set for what is usually a short stretch of 20. Makes following cyclists a pain as well.

Soldato
Sounds a bit keyboard warrior'y to me :p - you don't know her situation, and to be honest isn't this actually more likely to backfire on the OP if she were to react badly?

(i don't really know what i mean, but this doesn't seem right to go to her private house, this is insurance/legal or nothing?)

It is 100% keyboard warrior’y :cry::cry::cry:

Soldato

Speaking as a lorry driver, this can be very frustrating sometimes. You want to overtake a slower moving lorry and what should be pretty quick manoeuvre ends up taking far longer than necessary because you've also got to pass a line of cars going 54 in a 70 before you get to the actual lorry you're passing. It isn't so bad on a motorway with 3-4 lanes but go somewhere like the A42 where it's 2 lanes and it's crazy, sometimes passing a 10+ cars all dawdling behind a lorry.

I understand people wanting to save fuel but if you're doing it to the point you're slowing down trucks then maybe it's time to sell the car and get a bus pass.

Soldato
Speaking as a lorry driver, this can be very frustrating sometimes. You want to overtake a slower moving lorry and what should be pretty quick manoeuvre ends up taking far longer than necessary because you've also got to pass a line of cars going 54 in a 70 before you get to the actual lorry you're passing. It isn't so bad on a motorway with 3-4 lanes but go somewhere like the A42 where it's 2 lanes and it's crazy, sometimes passing a 10+ cars all dawdling behind a lorry.

I understand people wanting to save fuel but if you're doing it to the point you're slowing down trucks then maybe it's time to sell the car and get a bus pass.
Yeah but as a lorry driver you do realise you to have to share the road, why don't you not overtake at 0.5mph for instance, just do the same speed until you can complete a swift overtake.
I do try to stick with the faster lorries though ones doing the full 60.

Back
Top Bottom