I wonder why us shopfloor workers weren't asked.

Soldato
Who really 'wants' to work? The second I can give it up I will.

I've had this conversation with a few people over the years, even if I won an obscene amount of money on the lotto I'd still have to do something, even if it was my own company I'd have to do something after the initial 6 months world tour lotto win blow out...

Soldato
How'd you know someone works in retail?

Don't worry, they'll soon tell you.
It's funny. But true. They're like vegans aren't they. I've had to sigh at a few friends that have tried to tell me how hard it is and how they felt they should be clapped for as well like they were at all similar to a nurse.

Caporegime
How'd you know someone works in retail?

Don't worry, they'll soon tell you.
for every 1 bad customer there's probably a dozen who are polite.

no one ever seems to show you any more respect either way.

I always approach the counter and say
"hello, Could I please have [Insert Item] cheers."
if they look at me in some strange way
"I'm paying by card, Thanks bye"

I get the exact same interaction as someone who walks to the counter
"grunt noise [Insert Item here]
pays and walks off.

The staff don't show you anymore respect in the aisles than a charver would either they just barge past on their way to stack shelves.

you literally as a customer feel as though you're in the way, in almost any Retail store when it comes to how the staff seem to treat you.

go to a trainer shop, ask for a size 10.5, try it on, can I try on a size 10? huff/puff/grunt walks off to get another box.

Mcdonalds not so bad but one time I paid by machine and told them it gave me no receipt... all they did was ask if I remember what order number the machine said and then didn't care....

not going to change the roll in the machine or anything...

Retails full of lazy people who act as though doing their job is bending over backwards to help you, when it should be the minimum service offered...

Caporegime

pays and walks off.

The staff don't show you anymore respect in the aisles than a charver would either they just barge past on their way to stack shelves.

you literally as a customer feel as though you're in the way, in almost any Retail store when it comes to how the staff seem to treat you.

go to a trainer shop, ask for a size 10.5, try it on, can I try on a size 10? huff/puff/grunt walks off to get another box.

Mcdonalds not so bad but one time I paid by machine and told them it gave me no receipt... all they did was ask if I remember what order number the machine said and then didn't care....

Retails full of lazy people who act as though doing their job is bending over backwards to help you, when it should be the minimum service offered...

Funny how you blame the staff, rather than greedy employers who fail to hire enough staff and fail to pay the ones they have a decent wage.

When in first line I'd used to get untold grief for the wait time to answer, like I can answer every single call at the same time. The company has wound the customer up with either a poor product or poor service and then I have to sit there and take it all day.

Soldato
I work in Retail, And any sort of lockdown now would be BAD.

I'm not going to go into a ton of detail as id be writing a paragraph on the reasons, But its bad on both the customers and the workers.

WE DONT NEED ANOTHER LOCKDOWN!

Caporegime
I work in Retail, And any sort of lockdown now would be BAD.

I'm not going to go into a ton of detail as id be writing a paragraph on the reasons, But its bad on both the customers and the workers.

WE DONT NEED ANOTHER LOCKDOWN!
Make lockdown parties great again.

It was like the summer of rave in the 90s, a once in a life time occurrence.

even popo were at illegal house parties that got raided :cry:

BTW was in Morrisons earlier.
got some offers including B+J ice cream at £3... since no one buys it during winter...

checked my receipt and literally none of the offers were even on my receipt all original price.....
what a scam

I guess offers change on a Tuesday but they don't bother to remove al the offer labels... :mad:

Man of Honour
[..] you literally as a customer feel as though you're in the way, in almost any Retail store when it comes to how the staff seem to treat you.[..]

I don't. I still do most of my shopping in physical shops and I don't feel the same way you do. How you feel is a very subjective thing.

What's not subjective is that a customer is in the way. In most retail businesses the main goal of the business is not to serve customers. It's to cut costs. At any cost. Customer service is a cost. There is no time allocated for customer service. When a customer stops an employee from working, they are stopping that employee from doing the work they have been assigned to do. That employee will be blamed. They might have to work unpaid during their break or after hours to catch up. They might have lowered scoring on how well they're doing their job, which might affect their job security.

Maybe that's not how it should be. But it is how it is and it's not floor staff who make that decision.

Soldato

pays and walks off.

You sound like an office worker (or work from home type) who sits pressing buttons on a keyboard all day and thinks they're working hard...

Can't type for toffee
Don
I'm one that would welcome another lockdown, were not really out of the woods yet, yes were coping a lot better it seems but other countires aren't

Just takes one mutation for the jabs to be less effective afaik and they're already promoting boosters as well.

We've done very little for such a long period now what difference would another couple of months be. *shrug*

Let those that can wfh wfh, wherever the h may be.
Aa for retail workers and those in the shops during the first lockdown i did as much as possible to give them as much space as possible. When i got home i pretty much ditched me outdoor clothes had a shower and got changed.

Its not hard to keep yerself to yerself, hell i even wear a mask going into enclosed areas now, most staff seem to appreciate it.

Still get a giggle out of the hippo stampede at the oops aisle tho come price change time tho i reckon staff should just block the aisles until theyre finished and then let the stampede battle it out. Staff there just doing their jobs surrounded by people on top of them clawing to save 50p

Soldato
WELL SAID!!:D:D

a few hours befpre closing time on Christmas Eve'd be the ideal time and no doubt somebody (who's had aal day to do their schopping)'ll turn up just as the doors're about to be closed and locked (just for 'a few small item' and they'll be quick)., only to spend half the time on Facebook
and then have the nerve to just walk out of the shop and leave half of THEIR shopping in the middle of the aisle.
Then there's the usual;-
Go on, it's christmas/where's your christmas spirit?
You've just spoilt my kids' christmas!!

It is true that generally the worst thing in any public facing work is the public themselves.
''Think of the average person and how stupid they can be, half are even stupider than that!''

Associate
OP
It is true that generally the worst thing in any public facing work is the public themselves.
''Think of the average person and how stupid they can be, half are even stupider than that!''

You didnd't work at NETTO in the Whalley Range area of Manchester. It was a magnet for idiots and time wasters
Example:-
1. I was at one end of the aisle and a woman at the opposite end shouted out to me 'OI, YOU GET ON THE TILL!'. I'm sure this was the same one who, when I was sorting the trolleys out in the trolley bay, some farthead had decided to leave their trolley on the other side of the barrier and other fartheads chained their trolley to the one that was on the other side of the barrier and some trolleys were chained facing theopposite direction, and the moan shouted out to me, 'OI, YOU. GIVE ME A POUND FOR THE TROLLEY'.
2. I had to tell a customer three times that apple and elderberry water wasn't alcoholic and I was needed somewhere else, the stupid cow followed me and she asked another bloke. I told him to ignore her as she was just wasting time. Er, if being told numerous times that apple and elderberry water isn't alcoholic isn't time wasting, what is?
3. You could be working the frozen and the customers'd take all the boxes off then just walk away.
4. They left the spotlines in a mess.
5. This was like that running 'have we got a video' joke in an episode of The Young Ones. The place was closing down and I was given the job of putting posters advetising the date of the reopening of the new branch of The Co-op. I put the posters up in the windoews and around the ship and peole still asked me when the place was closing down.8. A customer was kucky that that the boss was on the till during an arguement otherwise, the boss would have got up and smacked him one.
6. (I've saved the best until last). It was a Friday afternoon and all the tills were occupied and there were qeuuses. I was just getting on with the job when some old bag stormed up to me and tote into me becuase of the situation. I went round the back to tell the boss then went back to what I was doing. The old bag has another go at me when one of the crew has a go at her back. Natutrally she starts going on about complaining to head office (If she did and I was spoken to about it, i would have said that she started on me and I couldn't do anything about it) but she never did). As a punishement I would have made her put ALL her shopping back, herself.

Man of Honour
You didnd't work at NETTO in the Whalley Range area of Manchester. It was a magnet for idiots and time wasters
Example:-
1. I was at one end of the aisle and a woman at the opposite end shouted out to me 'OI, YOU GET ON THE TILL!'. I'm sure this was the same one who, when I was sorting the trolleys out in the trolley bay, some farthead had decided to leave their trolley on the other side of the barrier and other fartheads chained their trolley to the one that was on the other side of the barrier and some trolleys were chained facing theopposite direction, and the moan shouted out to me, 'OI, YOU. GIVE ME A POUND FOR THE TROLLEY'.
2. I had to tell a customer three times that apple and elderberry water wasn't alcoholic and I was needed somewhere else, the stupid cow followed me and she asked another bloke. I told him to ignore her as she was just wasting time. Er, if being told numerous times that apple and elderberry water isn't alcoholic isn't time wasting, what is?
3. You could be working the frozen and the customers'd take all the boxes off then just walk away.
4. They left the spotlines in a mess.
5. This was like that running 'have we got a video' joke in an episode of The Young Ones. The place was closing down and I was given the job of putting posters advetising the date of the reopening of the new branch of The Co-op. I put the posters up in the windoews and around the ship and peole still asked me when the place was closing down.8. A customer was kucky that that the boss was on the till during an arguement otherwise, the boss would have got up and smacked him one.
6. (I've saved the best until last). It was a Friday afternoon and all the tills were occupied and there were qeuuses. I was just getting on with the job when some old bag stormed up to me and tote into me becuase of the situation. I went round the back to tell the boss then went back to what I was doing. The old bag has another go at me when one of the crew has a go at her back. Natutrally she starts going on about complaining to head office (If she did and I was spoken to about it, i would have said that she started on me and I couldn't do anything about it) but she never did). As a punishement I would have made her put ALL her shopping back, herself.
Sounds...not that bad :confused:

Soldato
Then get idiots such as this one.
“I won £20 on the scratchcard.”
I scan card on lotto terminal and enter the card PIN. “It’s actually £2”
“Its £20. Look” Customer points to line. It’s where if the two symbols on a line match, win a prize. The symbols in question were a house and a car.
“I’m afraid it has to be two cars or two houses”.
Customer had to cave in that he won £2 (on another part of the card)

Soldato
Sounds...not that bad :confused:

It certainly puts into perspective those easy jobs (labouring in the fields, caring for the sick and dying, dealing with real life and death emergency situations etc). At least now we understand why people go around defusing bombs and landmines for a living (because it's easier than working in retail).

Soldato
I got moaned at by an old lady because of where my car was parked at the petrol station once...it was parked just at the edge of the canopy over the forecourt...said it was my fault she got wet because she had to walk round the back of the car in the rain to get in the shop
I'm imagining it's constant stuff like that in retail!

Back
Top Bottom