Paying for 2nd hand car from trader help please

Associate
So Im in the market for a car and Im seeing a few dealers only accepting BT as payment. I see that even if the deposit is payed by Credit card then if things go wrong the entire cost can be claimed back. The thing is I dont have a credit card. Would it probably better just to get one for the sole purpose of paying the deposit so Im covered? Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Im with the Bank Of Scotland. Could I just get their Card. Not had a credit card in many years after a bad experience when I was a young lad so Im not sure how it works now?

Looks like it would be a Master card from the Bank Of Scotland?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I've found dealers lately go out of their way to avoid credit cards - you might struggle with some and have to be more persistent before they'll accept CC if you aren't paying deposit on debit card and rest by bank transfer.

Not sure if that is due to the protection aspect or fees or what.

Soldato
Don't overthink it. Apply for one and do as you are saying. If you have subprime credit then go for an AQUA or Vanquis as you won't be accepted by a big name. You just need 100 quid iirc on the credit card.

Associate
Every main dealer I've bought a car from has accepted the deposit on a CC, I've paid the final balance with a debit card a few times and the last one the final balance was paid by BT.

If the dealer refused to accept a partial payment with a CC I'd walk away.

Soldato
I've found dealers lately go out of their way to avoid credit cards - you might struggle with some and have to be more persistent before they'll accept CC if you aren't paying deposit on debit card and rest by bank transfer.

Not sure if that is due to the protection aspect or fees or what.

Yeah it's normally the fees. In most cases they'll let you pay by CC if you pay the fee. On a small deposit the fee isn't a great deal.

Soldato
Getting a cc with yiur existing bank may be easiest. Alternatively try a supermarket loyalty one.

I always insist on at least paying tge deposit or a small amount on credit card, even in the days when they had associated fees. The cover is a huge piece of mind.

Man of Honour
If the dealer refused to accept a partial payment with a CC I'd walk away.

It isn't so much refusing - they just tend to steer away from it and in my experience at least you have to push a bit with some of them to get them to accept it.

Also possibly related I notice a lot are £99 for the holding deposit - possibly due to having to spend over £100 on the CC for section 75 cover. Though £99 also looking less than £100 might be seen as less of a barrier to people spending money (despite the overall cost of the vehicle) might be a factor.

Associate
OP
I have applied for a CC and been accepted. The car I have my eye on will probably be gone by the time I get the card in but at least I have some protection when I do by one from a Trader. Obviously if its from a private seller then thats a different matter

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Every single person quoting the £100 figure is incorrect. You can spent just a single penny on your credit card and as long as the FULL COST of the item is over £100 and less than £30,000 you're covered by Section 75. That means an item costing £100.00 is not covered and neither is an item costing £30,000.00. £100.01 and £29,999.99 are fine though.

Soldato
Yeah it's normally the fees. In most cases they'll let you pay by CC if you pay the fee. On a small deposit the fee isn't a great deal.

Fees shouldn't be much on a standard consumer credit card, £5k should cost about £16 - £22, they aren't allowed to ask you to pay the fee on their behalf either, it was banned back in 2018 I think it was.

Man of Honour
Every single person quoting the £100 figure is incorrect. You can spent just a single penny on your credit card and as long as the FULL COST of the item is over £100 and less than £30,000 you're covered by Section 75. That means an item costing £100.00 is not covered and neither is an item costing £30,000.00. £100.01 and £29,999.99 are fine though.

Keep forgetting you don't need to pay a specific amount on the CC as long as it is part of the transaction - my bank keeps saying or inferring you have to spend £100 in their literature.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1974/39/section/75

Exact wording (exclusive):

"so far as the claim relates to any single item to which the supplier has attached a cash price not exceeding [F2£100] or more than [F3£30,000] [F4, or]"

Most of the articles on it are a bit misleading and/or vague on the wording.

Back
Top Bottom