• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Good replacement for Radeon HD 7970?

Associate
Hello everybody,

my wife's card is starting to give up the ghost after 8 years, do you have any suggestions to replace a radeon HD 7970?
Her main game is Horizon Zero Dawn.

Thank you very much!

Associate
Really depends on what resolution she is playing at. If 1080p you can just go off the recommended specs below. If playing at 4K 60hz it ran OK on a RTX 3070 for me, to get over 60fps at 4K you need a 3080Ti to get around 90 fps.

Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 (6 GB) or AMD Radeon RX 580 (8GB)

Associate
OP
Thank you.

Her PC is more or less the same age as the card, meaning that anything RTX would be overkill.
Given that the cards you mentioned right now costs as much or more than current gen lower end, I'm considering to get an RX 6600 (IF I can get it at anything close to the MSRP) or keep playing the AMD website lottery until I get a chance to buy anything.

I'm also wondering if the upcoming RX 6500 series could work, although I'm afraid they would be underpowered.

Associate
The RX 6600XT is the only card which is still being sold somewhat close to MSRP from the next gen lineup. Otherwise you are looking at very old cards like the 1080,1070 etc.

Soldato
In terms of a brand new card, you're going to have to take whatever you can get at a reasonable price. There's no time for choice in the current market, as anything decently-priced just sells out instantly. You could wait until next year and see what AMD and Intel's lower end stuff is like (or Nvidia's RTX 2060 relaunch), but we're talking at least a few months of waiting, without any certainty that you'll even be able to purchase one when they do launch. The used market isn't looking much better either really. The 980 Ti was a solid option until recently, but even those have made their way up towards the £300 mark now. The 1070 and 1080 have gone up way north of £300, when again they were under £300 a couple of months ago. Seems like Christmas is making things even more insane.

One of the least-overpriced cards going is the GTX 970, which can be had for ~£150 (or £170 with a two-year warranty from a certain pawn shop). Even that's £50 more than what you'd have paid at the start of the year, but in the grand scheme it's not so bad. Throw an overclock on one and it can still handle almost anything at 1080p and medium/high settings. It's a decent stopgap card until things calm down a bit and still a good 50-60% faster than a 7970.

Associate
Another option if the system is pretty old is to invest in a new mobo, RAM and get one of the new AMD APUs like the 5600G or 5700G. The system would cost more in the short term but in the long run would have more longevity. Plus the iGPU in the 5600G is surprisingly good and probably on par with the 7970. certainly buys you time to wait out the GPU craziness

Ryzen 5 5600g apu stock settings playing Horizon Zero Dawn - YouTube

Associate
OP
Another option if the system is pretty old is to invest in a new mobo, RAM and get one of the new AMD APUs like the 5600G or 5700G. The system would cost more in the short term but in the long run would have more longevity. Plus the iGPU in the 5600G is surprisingly good and probably on par with the 7970. certainly buys you time to wait out the GPU craziness

Ryzen 5 5600g apu stock settings playing Horizon Zero Dawn - YouTube

That's the emergency option, even 5700G is far below HD7970 though, that card was a beast and is close to RX 470 performance...

Associate
OP
AMD no longer sell cards direct to the UK due to the B word

I'm not in UK so not affected by that luckily... On the other side, any current gen card right now is north of 600€, which means chances of getting them close to a decent price are rather slim.

Associate
I'm not in UK so not affected by that luckily... On the other side, any current gen card right now is north of 600€, which means chances of getting them close to a decent price are rather slim.
In that case best sign up for part alert

Associate
The 6600XT is a cracking card to be honest, bought it for my son to replace an RX 480 and runs everything very very well, if you can get a 6600 or 6600Xt at around RRP I think she will be very happy.

Associate
I'd wait till early 2022 if you can and see what happens, stock looks dismal atm. Intel, Nvidia and AMD will all have something to offer then, whether that's GPUs or news of new release is another question.

Anything that has more than 2GB of vram atm is just ludicrous in price, even the low end 2GB cards have gone back up in price.

If desperate a £450 6600xt is your best bet, a good card, just over costed.

(Just saw youre not UK, so hard to say other than AMD founders card direct for best value)

Associate
OP
I'd wait till early 2022 if you can and see what happens, stock looks dismal atm. Intel, Nvidia and AMD will all have something to offer then, whether that's GPUs or news of new release is another question.

Anything that has more than 2GB of vram atm is just ludicrous in price, even the low end 2GB cards have gone back up in price.

If desperate a £450 6600xt is your best bet, a good card, just over costed.

(Just saw youre not UK, so hard to say other than AMD founders card direct for best value)

Yes, the issue for me is not waiting, problem is that my wife's card is crashing more and more often, so basically one day I will just have to fork the cash no matter what... Cheapest RX6000 card is at 656€, basically 2X MRSP.
Ironically, the 6900XT is a relative bargain, at "just" +40% over MSRP...

Associate
Yes, the issue for me is not waiting, problem is that my wife's card is crashing more and more often, so basically one day I will just have to fork the cash no matter what... Cheapest RX6000 card is at 656€, basically 2X MRSP.
Ironically, the 6900XT is a relative bargain, at "just" +40% over MSRP...

As your going to have to replace anyway, is it worth pulling off the cooler and giving the memory some new heat pads and thermal paste on the GPU, may well give you some breathing space, what happens if you drop the clocks by 100Mhz or increase the voltage slightly, could be ASIC degradation as well?

Associate
OP
As your going to have to replace anyway, is it worth pulling off the cooler and giving the memory some new heat pads and thermal paste on the GPU, may well give you some breathing space, what happens if you drop the clocks by 100Mhz or increase the voltage slightly, could be ASIC degradation as well?

I'm too afraid to ruin the card. Lowering clocks with afterburner is something to consider tough.

Associate
I'm too afraid to ruin the card. Lowering clocks with afterburner is something to consider tough.

No idea on software for the 7970 but I think you can use wattman in radeon software to sort this, try 50mhz off the memory and 50Mhz off the clocks see where it ends up, I once had a 7850 which was a refurbished open box, crashed all the time, I set the bios to be 50Mhz less and never had a single issue with it afterwards for 5 years, in fact its still going strong running sims for my friends daughter.

Back
Top Bottom