Halo Infinite

Man of Honour
You seem to be the OcUK Halo vet... can you please explain to me how progression in ranked works please?
I did the solo / duos queue and also the crossplay "10 to get a rank" and ended up with Plat 5, which I'm happy with to start with. I doubt I'd get good enough for Onyx, but feel diamond is achievable for me.

Now that I have a decent place to start with, I'm a little afraid of losing it by queueing solo, because of how heavy the win/loss ratio might be weighted.

What’s wrong with your rank going down? It should be a reflection of your current level vs the pool of current players, and the game records your max rank for bragging rights should you ever need that. I’ve never understood why this matters to the extent that people are scared to play, especially when no one will ever look at it. Care to enlighten me?

Your rank direction is determined by wins and losses (win = goes up, loss = goes down), but the rank of people you kill/get killed by determines how much it changes. If you get killed a lot by noobs and lose the game it drops by a lot, but if you held your own against higher ranks opponents and lose it goes down very little.

Soldato
What’s wrong with your rank going down? It should be a reflection of your current level vs the pool of current players, and the game records your max rank for bragging rights should you ever need that. I’ve never understood why this matters to the extent that people are scared to play, especially when no one will ever look at it. Care to enlighten me?

Your rank direction is determined by wins and losses (win = goes up, loss = goes down), but the rank of people you kill/get killed by determines how much it changes. If you get killed a lot by noobs and lose the game it drops by a lot, but if you held your own against higher ranks opponents and lose it goes down very little.

You're taking a very narrow view / assuming the worst of my intent again there mate.

I don't mind losing ranks if its a reflection of me and how I compare against the player pool, but given that I queue solo I often find that some team mates / randos tend to focus only on their KD, happy to spam objective clusters, instead of actually, say, pick up a ball in oddball. This is when I get pissy, because my performance is determined by others' inaction.

Thanks for the explanation though.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You're taking a very narrow view / assuming the worst of my intent again there mate.

I don't mind losing ranks if its a reflection of me and how I compare against the player pool, but given that I queue solo I often find that some team mates / randos tend to focus only on their KD, happy to spam objective clusters, instead of actually, say, pick up a ball in oddball. This is when I get pissy, because my performance is determined by others' inaction.

Thanks for the explanation though.

Er… OK.

It still seems like you’re overly concerned about a number on your account that literally no one else cares about decreasing if it’s putting you off playing a specific mode.

Why don’t you play with friends if randoms upset you that much? I have a mix of people from here and IRL that I play with regularly.

Even in games I lose due to randoms my rank barely goes down because if the team aren’t playing for the objective then I just go for kills to make the bar decrease by only a few millimeters.

You shouldn’t take it all so seriously, it’s not good for you.

Last edited:
Soldato
Er… OK.

It still seems like you’re overly concerned about a number on your account that literally no one else cares about decreasing if it’s putting you off playing a specific mode.

Why don’t you play with friends if randoms upset you that much? I have a mix of people from here and IRL that I play with regularly.

Even in games I lose due to randoms my rank barely goes down because if the team aren’t playing for the objective then I just go for kills to make the bar decrease by only a few millimeters.

You shouldn’t take it all so seriously, it’s not good for you.

In fairness you are taking a narrow view point. He wants to play competitively and wanted to clarify how much his rank is affected if others don't play the objective. You've helped to clarify that point but you are coming off a bit hypocritical.

On the one hand you've kept repeating (probably the 5th or 6th time now?) why do people care about exp (battle pass) and exp (rank). Yet you play rank and clearly it bothers you as you stop playing the objective and go for kills so that "the bar decrease by only a few millimeters" (I thought you didn't care?). Also why play ranked at all ? Why not just play quick play?

You need to accept people play games for different reasons.

@Supercow I'm queuing solo as well. Happy to team up if you want to play the objective ;)
xbox ID: PhantomUK3

Soldato
@Buddy gets it :) Funny how playing ranked is when you want to achieve a rank, and I wasn't complaining about my KD suffering from playing quickplay / fiesta or the like.

@Kreeeee , I'm 42, it's not easy to just find people from IRL that play and when we do, we're juggling a few things. My mate that I frag with usually, is too busy trying to make millions from NFT art at the moment.

I didn't know this was a counter measure, and weirdly, is why I asked the question of how it all works. I'm someone who needs to understand stuff and how it works, its just the way I am.

@Buddy , I'm in Australia, so the latency would be too harsh, but I appreciate the offer. I've also recently "fixed" their lack of server browser, by blocking / static routing all the server IPs outside of Australia and South East Asia :D

I joined an Aussie Halo discord server now, so should be able to join a LFG request.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

I didn't know this was a counter measure, and weirdly, is why I asked the question of how it all works. I'm someone who needs to understand stuff and how it works, its just the way I am.

You can do your own observations and testing to work this out yourself if you’re curious about how things work. I worked out myself what affects rank by paying attention to how it moved and what my stats were and how’s performed.

Soldato
My lord you’re hard work.

You have something about me and my post in your head and you simply focus on one thing. I have made no claims that I have not played any games apart from my placing. I have not gone down nor made observable progress. I didn’t know if it updated real time or not.

I did this mind blowing thing, and asked a more experienced player than me, a simple question on a discussion forum, on the topic I’m interested in.

Man of Honour
My lord you’re hard work.

You have something about me and my post in your head and you simply focus on one thing. I have made no claims that I have not played any games apart from my placing. I have not gone down nor made observable progress. I didn’t know if it updated real time or not.

I did this mind blowing thing, and asked a more experienced player than me, a simple question on a discussion forum, on the topic I’m interested in.

I’m not sure where this overreaction is coming from, as I’m just trying to help you to help yourself in the future if you’re curious about how these systems work but can’t find the information easily online.

Let’s agree to leave it there before you blow a gasket.

Man of Honour
It’s so much easier to get a high rank in this compared to previous Halo games. I’m at mid Diamond despite never playing the objective and just learning the maps and weapons :cry:

Soldato
Is it worth downloading this for one x?

If you’re referring to MP, try for yourself, it’s free.

D4 now and accuracy has jumped up significantly after changing up settings again. Went super low on sensitivity, and maxed out acceleration, and made the Max inout thresholds for both 0.

1.5 horizontal
3 vertical
3.5 on each deadzone
0 on max inout thresholds

Also went 120 fov!

Finding it a lot easier to track enemies now

Man of Honour
If you’re referring to MP, try for yourself, it’s free.

D4 now and accuracy has jumped up significantly after changing up settings again. Went super low on sensitivity, and maxed out acceleration, and made the Max inout thresholds for both 0.

1.5 horizontal
3 vertical
3.5 on each deadzone
0 on max inout thresholds

Also went 120 fov!

Finding it a lot easier to track enemies now

Those settings are terrible! I gave Cub3d the proper settings last night and his game improved immediately and dramatically.

Put all look stick settings to 0, and input threshold to max on the move stock.

Man of Honour
They do sound awful , but they work :D

Try all your dead zones at zero, there is no reason to have anything else on the look stick.

You should have your threshold at 15 on the move stick so that you can strafe at max speed faster in combat.

That alone should easily get you to Onyx.

Soldato
Try all your dead zones at zero, there is no reason to have anything else on the look stick.

You should have your threshold at 15 on the move stick so that you can strafe at max speed faster in combat.

That alone should easily get you to Onyx.

There's a bit of stick drift when I put those to zero. Will set the move threshold to 15.

Back
Top Bottom