Router (cpu usage(single port vs multiport))

Soldato
Hi all
I have a Ubiquity ERX
Is performance impacted by the number of switch ports I use on the ERX?
would I be better off connected to a switch and then spurring off from there or just connecting each switch to the ERX?

Man of Honour
I'm pretty sure that the ER-X runs the switch ports in software and you'll get pretty poor performance compared to just connecting it to a cheap unmanaged 1 Gbps switch and connecting the clients off that.

Soldato
Hi all
I have a Ubiquity ERX
Is performance impacted by the number of switch ports I use on the ERX?
would I be better off connected to a switch and then spurring off from there or just connecting each switch to the ERX?

It doesn’t have switched ports, it has bridged routed ports so if you use it as a switch there is massive CPU overhead and it runs slowly. The extra ports are to have physically separate networks with the ER-X routing between them.

Soldato
OP
It doesn’t have switched ports, it has bridged routed ports so if you use it as a switch there is massive CPU overhead and it runs slowly. The extra ports are to have physically separate networks with the ER-X routing between them.
I've disabled vlan aware and set an IP up for eth4 and only have that connected (and eth0 for wan)
that's the correct thing to do right?

Back
Top Bottom