Build around a 3060 ti

Associate
Hi, I managed to get my hands on a 3060 ti FE through the part alert and looking for a solid build around this gpu. Looking to play strategy games such as Total War / AoE etc..

Have minimal knowledge of PC building but have a mate who has experience building, we just need some advice on a recommended build.

Thanks in advance

Associate
Hi, I managed to get my hands on a 3060 ti FE through the part alert and looking for a solid build around this gpu. Looking to play strategy games such as Total War / AoE etc..

Have minimal knowledge of PC building but have a mate who has experience building, we just need some advice on a recommended build.

Thanks in advance
Nice you managed to get a card..they didn't last long tonight...you have a pref Intel or AMD...Intel alderlake 12600k prob they way I would lean, as CPU on a par with 5800x...downside is mobo more expensive, but has pcie5 and can take 4 m.2 pcie4 drives, so will prob be more future proof than current am4. Do you have a budget in mind? Strictly not necessary at mo, but I'd go 32gb(2x16gb) ram 3600c16 if poss(prices have come off a lot), but if keeping costs right down 2x8gb will suffice. Do you want rgb, non rgb, any pref on case, or open to suggestion
Sure others can do a build for you, if not can do in the morning as calling it a night

Associate
OP
Yea I was lucky... phone and card already in hand looking at something for the Mrs and it popped up.

Having been reading other threads looks like the intel would be a good option with the 12600k you mentioned. 32gb ram no issue and was looking at a Lian-Li RGB case as a start but not set on that. No idea on MB, PSU, Cooling

Happy to spend what I need to but at the same time I don't believe I need the top of the range for everything with what I want to use it for. Most help I need is ensuring the parts are all compatible, good value and I don't miss anything.

Thanks for the response

Associate
I've put a lot in below, just to show you some chopices..you said about Lian Li case, so added the Lancool II mesh. As a differennt build put a 011 Dynamic mini with a 750W gold rated psu in there as a different build. Added the uni fans, bost SL and AL as they are on offer and can be daisychained, making cable management a lot easier..if went with the dynamic mini, top and bottom are 3x120mm, side fans 2x140. You could also go 011D dynamic for £135, then would be 3x3 120mm fans and take a standard ATX
Put both air and aio cooling..for aio, dynamic case best bang for buck is the arctic freezerII, it has the thicker rad. However, the X73 is reduced from £170 to £110, gives you a nice looking pump head and has some rgb is you like it...more than adequate for the cpu. For lancool, front can support 360mm rad or top 240/280
Asus have a promotion on at the mo(thanks to another forum member pointing out), the the Tuf gaming Z690 plus wifi has a £60 redemption if bought with a 12600k, £70 if you go 12700K. i also like the msi Tomahawk but it's £259.99, so Tuf better value.
Ram, Crucial non RGB 3600C16 fasted, then if going rgb the crucial is same but £20 more...sitting between the 2 is corsair vengeance rgb 3600C18...slightly looser timings so 1080p gaming you will loosed a few fps, but is slightly cheaper.
For storage and fast loading etc, the WD m.2 nvme's are all on offer..SN550 slowest to SN850 fastest(up there with the Sammy 980 Pro)..the mobo can take 4 pcie4 drives so future expansion s/b ok...with the price reductions I'd go SN850(pcie4) or SN750(pcie3)
I added a 850W gold psu on offer is going lancool case...you don't need that high for the 3060ti, but in a couple of years you want to upgrade your gpu, hopefully it will have enough grunt to power your next gpu..is also on offer at mo

All coolers at the mo will prob need a conversion bracket to fit to mobo to make compatible..I know artic will provide one free of charge with evidence of receipt..
https://www.xda-developers.com/cpu-coolers-socket-lga-1700/

a few things to look at anyway;)

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £2,243.57 (includes shipping: £28.02)

Associate
OP
Thank you for sharing the above... really helpful!!

I had a basket going but have updated a few to incorporate your suggestions. Upgraded the SSD (had the blue previously) and RAM to the ones you suggested and stuck with the Lian-Li case which is the same you shared. Thanks for pointing out that offer on the motherboard so added that in too.

The only point that I must admit has gone over my head is the cooling and what I would need/what is compatible from the options you provided above

Associate
The only point that I must admit has gone over my head is the cooling and what I would need/what is compatible from the options you provided above

At the moment you have an Asus mobo in your basket and their current LGA 1700 mobos also have the mounting holes for LGA 1200. This means most current coolers are compatable with Asus mobos but the Z height is different so you may need a washer or some adjustment when tightening.

I would say get the Artic Freezer II 360mm. You should be able to fit it out of the box and we know that Arctic are going to send out the correct mounting equipment if you require it

Associate
either air cooling or aio...if aio, them 360mm can only be mounted on front, or get a 280 and mound on the top...it's a personal preference..i prefer rad on top(but plenty of people have it on the front) with air being expelled through it in which case you need a 240 or 280 rad as case isn't long enough to support a 360mm on top...if you want that the 5000D airflow has plenty of space and supports a 360mm top mounted aio..seen it for £110 in white but you'll def want some more fans ..air cooling the cheapest, and either of the air coolers will keep the 12600k under control..I prefer aio myself for clean look...like artci, if you get a kraken aio, you can get an adaptor for free if you want..below is on the page of the kraken cooler
IF YOU REQUIRE A BRACKET FOR SOCKET LGA 1700 YOU CAN GET ONE FOR FREE FROM HERE - HTTPS://SUPPORT.NZXT.COM/HC/EN-US/REQUESTS/NEW?TICKET_FORM_ID=1260814075929

Associate
OP
Man of Honour
Do You need the extra 140mm run fans ?

Aio cooler in the front and use the front rgb fans at the rear.

Back
Top Bottom