Robert Jordan’s fantasy epic The Wheel of Time coming to TV

Permabanned
Came very close to turning it off half way through that first episode. The dialogue was excruciating at times and the performances weren't much better. I'll stick with it but so far I'm really not that impressed.

Caporegime
Just listening to the audiobook again in the car while travelling to work and now up to chapter 10 where they had just fled the Two Rivers.

So much better and such a better story.

Where is Perrin's axe?
Why did they make Rand's father useless with the sword when he is actually a master swordsman?
Where was the foreboding leading up to the Trolloc attack with the sightings of the grey man by men of a certain age in the village?
Why on earth did they have Nynaeve get captured by the Trollocs?
They moved Morraine's speech about the Manetheren and what the people fo the two rivers used to stand for and what was in their blood which was given to the whole village which then stirs hem into action to form a militia and patrols and would then play a much bigger part later in the story?
Where was the Draghkar in the tv show?

Man of Honour
I kinda disagree on this point, I understand they have to give the use of saidin/saidir some visibility as even in the books if 2 people are battling each other with the one power its described as 2 people staring intently at each other as the weaves are invisible to a non wielder but they've given the use a cast time as such with all the finger waggling/gesticulation, whereas embracing the source and shielding another user for example is instantaneous, or as quick as someone can think. Could well present some problems should the tv series get to the later books.

I also think making all different elements (air, water, earth, fire) the same colour is pretty dumb, at least give them a slightly different colour hue .

Agree on some of those points especially differentiating between types but the way some of it is in the books wouldn't translate well to movie/TV and they didn't just go with token magic effects.

Soldato
I've read the books and I was willing to give this the benefit of the doubt until the end of episode two where Nynaeve miraculously comes back and manages to easily sneak up on Lan, who is a warder. I know in the books... but she's not yet and I can't honestly see her being able to sneak up on a warder. It's a bit ridiculous and I'm seriously questioning the decision to stray away from the content of the books. The books were amazing and I just don't get why there's the deviation. I understand adapting it for the screen is difficult given the mountains of content, but still, you don't have to change backgrounds for characters or things that make them who they are, like Perrin with his signature axe and hammer. He doesn't even appear to have any weapons on him other than the dagger that he's now been given to him by Mat, made by his wife (another odd change from the books).

I really don't know what to make of things but I'm confused at most of the changes so far. It's quite disappointing really. I want to like it, I really do, but the changes are putting me off even trying to enjoy it as is.

This does get a bit of an explanation at the beginning of the next episode.

Also, maybe lay off the book spoilers? There will be people here who haven't read them...

Soldato
Well I've now watched episode 2. It was less jarring than episode 1 less to dislike about it. Pretty faithful to the book if my memory is any good. I still think the 3 lads are all a little off and some of this comes from the choices of episode 1. They are supposed to be childhood friends young and high spirited but you wouldn't know it.

Caporegime
Well I've now watched episode 2. It was less jarring than episode 1 less to dislike about it. Pretty faithful to the book if my memory is any good. I still think the 3 lads are all a little off and some of this comes from the choices of episode 1. They are supposed to be childhood friends young and high spirited but you wouldn't know it.

Yeah that seems to be totally missed from the TV adaption. They were three young men coming of age who just laughed, joked, drank together and got into a bit of local bother.

Soldato
Came very close to turning it off half way through that first episode. The dialogue was excruciating at times and the performances weren't much better. I'll stick with it but so far I'm really not that impressed.

I found the first half of episode one really bad but it livened up a fair bit towards the end. I really enjoyed the following two episodes and am looking forward to the rest.

As I’d always the case with these things, the TV series takes liberties with the books but at this moment I’m not going to whine too much as we’re storming along at a good rate.

Associate
No Draghkar during the chase from Two Rivers :(

Yeah :(. Must be one or all three of budget, information overload for newbies and holding back for later reveals.

Yeah disappointed in that omission. Plus they have split everybody up now. Thats different to the books.

No it's not, after they leave Shadar Logoth they are split as in the show until they reach <spoiler> (which will not feature in season 1 it seems, sadly).

Caporegime
Yeah :(. Must be one or all three of budget, information overload for newbies and holding back for later reveals.

No it's not, after they leave Shadar Logoth they are split as in the show until they reach <spoiler> (which will not feature in season 1 it seems, sadly).

I dont remember the split as that in the books. But it has been a while.

Caporegime
I forgot when they split too but the Matt-Rand Path and the Perrin-Egwene Path were very clear story threads that set up their characters development.

Its probably them not meeting Tom until after the Trollocs attack and the river crossing which is confusing me.

I can remember Matt, Rand and Tom escaping one way but couldnt remember Egwene going off with Perrin in the books. Way too many years ago since i have read them!

Soldato
Episode 3 has made me grizzlechops again. Characters felt off even if the plot was reasonable. Thought the Tinkers were under cooked plotwise I seem to remember them having more impact maybe that will come in future episodes.
I didn’t understand the point of introducing Lorain early

Also hats off for making Nynaeve more annoying than in the books. That is just overachieving.

Back
Top Bottom