WWII Tanks

Soldato
Being watching some painting guides lately and this randomly came up on my recommended.

I'd really like to have a go at this, would make a nice change from Space Marines.

Only problem is, I have no idea where to start, he doesn't mention the model line he's painting.
I would love to go to a model shop, but the nearest is a good 30min+ drive away.

Can anyone recommend a model line I can look into?

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies.

Was looking into the 1/35 Tamiya line, which seem to be a similar size.
I'm trying to think up excuses to justify a trip to a model shop :p

Edit -

OMFG! Someone buy me this!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Took the plunge.

QFkiIdt.jpg

It's taken me over a year to paint 1/2 a Space Marine, so it's going to be interesting to see how long this takes me.

Soldato
OP
Finally got her together to the point where she's ready for her base coat.

ENsqNfR.jpg

Quit a few errors where I didn't file it down fine enough or went too crazy with the plastic glue, but I'm hoping a paint job will fix the worst of it.
Was quite fun to do when I had 5-10 minutes of free time.

Next question is what paints do I get?
Do I go with the Tamiya paint set or use Vallejo like the guy in the video.
I've only ever used Citadel.

Soldato
Thanks for the replies.

Was looking into the 1/35 Tamiya line, which seem to be a similar size.
I'm trying to think up excuses to justify a trip to a model shop :p

Edit -

OMFG! Someone buy me this!

Heng long do good RC tanks at a 1/4 price of a build it yourself tamiya, I've got the panther ausf g BB and it's a beast.

Soldato
OP
Few things went wrong, windy day outside, didn't shake the can enough or was too close.

0tHStTF.jpg

wlM63F5.jpg

The paint was running on the back so I tried to clean it up with some kitchen towel but it made matters worse.

Is there anyway to salvage this, would some fine sandpaper work? If so, what grade?

The recesses on the front of the tank don't seem to be as deep anymore, can I do anything about that?

Edit - I've noticed some cracks on the turret as well, I think it was just too cold to spray paint.
Can anyone recommend a good paint remover? I think it's best just to start again.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah try some 1000 then 2000 grit sand paper, that’ll take it back nicely to smooth plastic.

Funnily enough I’ve built a 1:35 scale Panther tank, fancied a break from warhammer!

Soldato
OP
Thanks.

I panic'd yesterday and went into full drama mode!

Gonna try sanding it down and respraying it later. Worse case scenario, the kit comes with loads of accessories, so I'll just cover it up.

Associate
airbrushing is the way forward my friend pete used to do ww2 tanks for his online shop and shows

you could try you hand at smaller scale tanks 10mm - 15mm scale are very rewarding to paint and base and look excellent in squadrons

and a much better scale to game with ;)

Associate
At the end of the day it’s a tank, the final Finnish will look better but they were rough and ready in real life , keep going with it.
Can I ask what paints you are using? As Tamiya acrylic paints are easily removed or thinned with their thinners

Last edited:
Associate
I used to do fine scale modelling in 1:35. You can get ok results painting vehicles with a brush. There's a fair old learning curve to an airbrush plus you need time to set up and take down. I've known a number of people buy then give up on one.
You can cover some imperfections with mud, rust, stowage or even a bit of foliage. If you really go wrong with vertical-ish surfaces then you could go wild with sandbag up armouring.

For ww2 wargaming, I have micro ( 1:300 ) and 1/72. The latter actually a bit of a mix of 1/76, 1/72 and "20mm".

Back
Top Bottom