Kitchen Gadgets!

Caporegime
I'm looking for some electronic kitchen scales that are fairly accurate but well priced for the money. No set budget as such but I don't wish to spend stupid money (I would think ~£40 or less is realistic?).

I'm checking some of the previous posts out for ideas but if anyone has any good recommendations then I'd appreciate any input, thanks.

Soldato
I'm looking for some electronic kitchen scales that are fairly accurate but well priced for the money. No set budget as such but I don't wish to spend stupid money (I would think ~£40 or less is realistic?).

I'm checking some of the previous posts out for ideas but if anyone has any good recommendations then I'd appreciate any input, thanks.

Quite literally Salter digital scales... £14 and had them ages. I do tons of baking and not sure how accurate you want... If I'm measuring fine amounts (5g) then I switch to 1mg scales for stuff like salt.

Caporegime
Gone for the Ninja Foodi Max, arriving today. The main reason was that I regularly get the itch with gadgets and want additional functions eventually.

I've got that. Best thing you could ever buy.

I also have a standard Phillips XXL air fryer too. Which is likely the second best gadget next to the maxi.

You can literally make anything in it. So easy to clean. It also makes stuff better than our electric fan oven it's so consistent and you don't get heat spots like you do with an oven.

The pressure cooking function is phenomenal.

I need to get rid of my sous vide it never gets used since I got the ninja. Had mine for a year.

Associate
I bought a cheap dehydrator a few weeks ago, and whilst it's main purpose was for drying 3D printing filament (!) I found it really useful for producing DIY dog treats. I purchased a job lot of chicken breasts from the meat market, then cut into thin narrow strips, then dry them to make treats my dogs really love. A lot cheaper than buying the treats in bags - and with no additives probably healthier for them too. Many other uses for the dehydrator which I have yet to explore.

Soldato
Is anyone able to advise on a food processor?

I like the look of the Magimix 4200xl, however, it's quite expensive so I'm exploring other options... Though I'm willing to pay if it's worth it.

I my think main uses will be slicing/grating veg, pureeing (soup and baby food), and mixing cakes/dough etc.

I had a cheap processor in the past and the attachment driveshaft sheared, so I'm looking for something better quality.

I like the Magimix attachment storage, relatively compact form factor and the warranty.

Ive looked at Kenwood and they seem to be either flimsy cheap models or have a trillion attachments and jugs/bowls I don't need which look a nightmare to store. I've heard mixed reviews of the KitchenAid alternative.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Last edited:
Soldato
Ive looked at Kenwood and they seem to be either flimsy or have a trillion attachments and jugs/bowls which look a nightmare to store and I've heard mixed reviews of the KitchenAid alternative.

kenwood chef with a food processor attachment - very robust eg
wasn't sure it would be useful, picked up used machine £60 xmas 2013, subsequently added food processor & flexibeater(cakes) used once/rwice a week and still going strong
cakes/meringues/pastry/liquidising/breadcrumbs. bowl fits in cupboard - fp sits in base - not a storage problem

Soldato
Is anyone able to advise on a food processor?

I like the look of the Magimix 4200xl, however, it's quite expensive so I'm exploring other options... Though I'm willing to pay if it's worth it.

I my think main uses will be slicing/grating veg, pureeing (soup and baby food), and mixing cakes/dough etc.

I had a cheap processor in the past and the attachment driveshaft sheared, so I'm looking for something better quality.

I like the Magimix attachment storage, relatively compact form factor and the warranty.

Ive looked at Kenwood and they seem to be either flimsy cheap models or have a trillion attachments and jugs/bowls I don't need which look a nightmare to store. I've heard mixed reviews of the KitchenAid alternative.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Magimix are expensive - sure. However fabulous quality items and their warranty service is unreal.

Had mine for about 6 years - used sparingly but one day just wouldn't spin up. Contacted them as the warranty on the motor is/was 12 years (now 30 on some models!) - Within 30 minutes email returned to me with contact details and courier arranged to pick up the next day. Sent off to them the following day, contacted via email to say they received it, then 24 hours later, fixed with new motor and returned to me less than 48 hours. Unreal service. Been no issues since.

Soldato
I've got that. Best thing you could ever buy.

I also have a standard Phillips XXL air fryer too. Which is likely the second best gadget next to the maxi.

You can literally make anything in it. So easy to clean. It also makes stuff better than our electric fan oven it's so consistent and you don't get heat spots like you do with an oven.

The pressure cooking function is phenomenal.

I need to get rid of my sous vide it never gets used since I got the ninja. Had mine for a year.

Tempted to get Ninja - Got a solid air fryer which gets used pretty much daily but like the idea of cooking more things with Ninja. What's the basket/internal size like on the Ninja compared to the fryer you have??

Caporegime
Tempted to get Ninja - Got a solid air fryer which gets used pretty much daily but like the idea of cooking more things with Ninja. What's the basket/internal size like on the Ninja compared to the fryer you have??

It's huge for cooking proper meals like curries, soup, stews, etc. But as an air fryer it's small.

You could easily do a meal for 8-10 people if you make a curry in it as an example.

Soldato
Curries - With Ninja&co pots, I don't get that these are practical for browning meat and that their non-stick surface is resilient,
versus doing that on a (more uniformly heating) hob, with a heavy duty pan(stellar non-stick pan, probably £70 now), & heat ramped up;

If you have to use a separate pan, to protect ninja pot, that rather defeats the point, I suppose if it has a 2year Ninja warranty any genuine issues would show up, and you could get pan replaced if necessary

Soldato
I'm looking for a good quality cheese slicer, the type which is basically a flat surface with the handle and wire. Don't know where to look for one apart from Amazon but it's full of stuff with reviews that can't be trusted and I don't want something that will work fine for a few months and then turn trash as it will be a gift for somebody

Soldato
I'm looking for a good quality cheese slicer, the type which is basically a flat surface with the handle and wire. Don't know where to look for one apart from Amazon but it's full of stuff with reviews that can't be trusted and I don't want something that will work fine for a few months and then turn trash as it will be a gift for somebody
Don't know your price point. Can't comment on this product specifically but used the company before for cheesemaking supplies and always been happy.
https://www.cheesemaking.co.uk/cheese-making-cheese-cutter/the-cheese-cutter

Soldato
Soldato
@Minusorange They sell spare cheese wires. £14.70 for 12. You could buy yourself a nice walnut chopping board cut off an edge and glue as a lip, make a handle and improvise your own. Which now I've typed it sounds quite cool that might have to go on my projects list.

Soldato
@Minusorange They sell spare cheese wires. £14.70 for 12. You could buy yourself a nice walnut chopping board cut off an edge and glue as a lip, make a handle and improvise your own. Which now I've typed it sounds quite cool that might have to go on my projects list.

Yeah I just watched some youtuber woodworkers making some fancy ones, surprisingly easy to make in principle

Soldato
Interesting induction hob kettle
although often boiling water for single cups

was looking through kitchen products from latest 'trade' show https://www.exclusivelyshows.co.uk/products-2022#/products/
many products from gastroback - seems a strange name for uk marketting

Back
Top Bottom