What desktop speakers are you using?

Associate
Soldato
Good point about raising them. I do plan to do this but unsure what stands to get.

Would these Kanto SW4 Stands below from amazon be any good? They raise it off the desk but not as much as compared to yours but would that be fine?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kanto-Desktop-Speaker-Midsize-Speakers-White/dp/B077Z9GNWV/

Those stands are almost totally pointless.

Firstly, your speakers should be level, any tilt has a dramatic effect on the sound. To prove this to yourself wedge something under either front or back of speakers, then see how a tilt effects sound.

The only time you would want a speaker tiled is if your keeping it at a lower then ear height, however you might as well set things up correct and get stands the correct height.

Also, it's not just about getting speakers to ear height. When you lift a speaker away from desk you get less resonance with the desk, and this also improves sound, your putting more 'space' around the speaker.

At the moment you have your speakers on the desk. Play some music, then place your hands flat on the desk, you'll feel the desk resonating, this is effecting your sound.

In contrast if I place my hands on my desk, there is no resonance (vibration) coming into the desk, this is due to 1) speakers lifted from desk 2) isolation foam. When you reduce this resonance the sound is much cleaner.

EDIT. Another way to understand why speaker height is important. Go and collect some books in your house, then stack the books up and place the speakers on them.

Then to understand why isolation is important. Go and find some packaging foam or bubble wrap, place this under the speaker and see what effect it makes.

Last edited:
Associate
Those stands are almost totally pointless.

Firstly, your speakers should be level, any tilt has a dramatic effect on the sound. To prove this to yourself wedge something under either front or back of speakers, then see how a tilt effects sound.

The only time you would want a speaker tiled is if your keeping it at a lower then ear height, however you might as well set things up correct and get stands the correct height.

Also, it's not just about getting speakers to ear height. When you lift a speaker away from desk you get less resonance with the desk, and this also improves sound, your putting more 'space' around the speaker.

At the moment you have your speakers on the desk. Play some music, then place your hands flat on the desk, you'll feel the desk resonating, this is effecting your sound.

In contrast if I place my hands on my desk, there is no resonance (vibration) coming into the desk, this is due to 1) speakers lifted from desk 2) isolation foam. When you reduce this resonance the sound is much cleaner.

EDIT. Another way to understand why speaker height is important. Go and collect some books in your house, then stack the books up and place the speakers on them.

Then to understand why isolation is important. Go and find some packaging foam or bubble wrap, place this under the speaker and see what effect it makes.

Great advice I'll try it this week and let you know of the results, or I'll just buy some stands that can move up lol

Soldato
Great advice I'll try it this week and let you know of the results, or I'll just buy some stands that can move up lol

You have really nice speakers, trying to help you get the best from them. Even if you experiment with books and packaging foam, it's enough to hear the difference these things will make, then of course purchase the stands, and you should get some isolation foam also.

Associate
You have really nice speakers, trying to help you get the best from them. Even if you experiment with books and packaging foam, it's enough to hear the difference these things will make, then of course purchase the stands, and you should get some isolation foam also.

Thanks man for the advice. I just bought some isolating foam which should be here tomorrow to experiment then will get some stands eventually when I find something I like, or I might make my own. Will post back tomorrow with how I get on with the isolation pads.

Associate
SO i now have a Creative Stage PC soundbar under my main monitor to be my desktop speaker when i need one. 90% of the time I'm wearing my Fidelio's but I occasionally use the Soundbar for general viewing or gaming with the kids. Works well, cheap and cheerful.

Associate
Creative T40 / T40 Series II are a respectable entry point into speakers in my opinion.

I too ran these for many years and was very happy with them at the price.

If you ever wanted to upgrade, I'd recommend (and this is just my own personal opinion) a set from Adam (e.g., a pair of Adam A3X), Genelec (some good deals on EBay), or if you were to push the boat out, a set of KEF LSX.

Thanks for the suggestion. Right now these work great. 10 years old though!

Soldato
Some great looking systems and audio set ups here.

I have my pc running to my cinema sound set up. In stereo I use Merdian DSP 8000SE fed By Meridian 818v3.

Nice! Some absolutely serious top end stuff.. What's you honest opinion on them? I'm sure many of us always wonder what it would be like splashing £60K on a setup..

Permabanned
Looking for some bookshelf speakers around £100, maybe a little more.

Currently thinking either the Edifier 1280 or the 1700BT, much difference between the two?

Are going to be plugged into the PC so not overly fussed on Bluetooth but nice to have I guess.

Back
Top Bottom