Cowboy Bebop (Netflix)

Caporegime
Only seen up to ep 8 of the anime, so not really comparing to it when I watched it. I thought it was great, binged it in 2 days. Watched 3 on the plane and then the rest when I got home.

without the baggage of the anime and comparing to it, I really like it. More than Hellbound, although Arcane still beats it for the new show this week.

Christ, I watched so much TV the last 3 days! Lol

fez

fez

Caporegime
Something just feels off about the acting. Like it doesn't fit or it isn't good. I don't know if its because the dialogue doesn't fit with the actors delivery or what. Also Faye is awful casting.

Man of Honour
Yup it's exactly as I mentioned above. It's a script written for presentation as an anime using native language - The style of the script and necessary acting can only be done in original format. They tried to make it too much like the anime and ultimately that's why it doesn't work.

Caporegime
I tried watching the anime, got up to sixth episode, after watching the live action series. Found the live action one a much better watch.

Same sentiment too, I dunno why I just couldn’t finish the anime, usually I can binge a season (20ep) in a weekend but 4 attempts with the anime I am still at ep 8 with no urgency to continue…

Caporegime
I only caught a bit of this last night, haven't had time to watch ep1 fully yet - intro was a bit cringe, is he trying to be some sort of Asian knock-off version of Garry Oldman? It was sort of getting into a bit of a trope - the mental bad guy strutting around and one of his evil henchmen also acting a bit mental with the hostage.

Then we see (presumably the main character/hero type) emerge from the lift, he gets his little bit of posturing in then does that silly coin flip move - I guess that is straight out of the cartoon and probably better suited to a cartoon or comic book.

I dunno, I'll give it a watch tonight, was hoping for some sort of firefly type thing, the preview clip in Netflix of the docking sequence was almost reminiscent of the compute game Elite too, so I kinda want to like this thing but what I've seen in the intro so far was rather cringe.

As for the costume "controversy" thing, not seen that character yet, wouldn't have known anyway as I'm not familiar with the cartoons so meh... who cares? On one hand, I can see why some anime cartoon costumes are probably not too practical on the other hand I can also see why an actress wouldn't want to wear them too! It's probably a bit of both. I guess the sort of guys who carry around life-sized pillows of their favorite waifus can fight over it, it's just a costume.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
We watched one episode. It’s a weird one. It has a lot of elements that I really like, yet due to casting, music and direction I found it to be poor and will not be watching the rest. Shame :(

Soldato
The setting is confusing me. They have spaceships, all manner of high-tech capabilities like anti-gravity tech. and AI systems and what appears to be hyperspace jump gates yet everybody is driving around in 50's cars, using modern weapons, using CRTs, phones that resemble a gameboy and USB type-A sockets. Oh, and apparently it's set in the same universe as Bladerunner too.

Soldato
the styles jarred for me, set up as noirish in one ep then hippyish 60s in another etc, didn't give a uniform feel at all. have to say though, started watching the anime and i have to give the TV series props for the level of detail they went to in matching the look of the ships and gadgets etc.

Consigliere
The setting is confusing me. They have spaceships, all manner of high-tech capabilities like anti-gravity tech. and AI systems and what appears to be hyperspace jump gates yet everybody is driving around in 50's cars, using modern weapons, using CRTs, phones that resemble a gameboy and USB type-A sockets. Oh, and apparently it's set in the same universe as Bladerunner too.

All part of the 'style' and it just seems to be 'edgy'. Dunno. I really want to like it but it just feels weird. A bit like its trying too hard? I am up to episode 2 and I have switched it on and off twice now.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
It's a noir bounty hunter show set in the future, where they have kept some styles from our past. No different to steam punk or any other anachronistic story that came before it.

I loved it, a lot. I had the anime recommended to me as "the anime to watch amongst all others" and couldnt stick it. This was brilliant. Not perfect, but very very good. It definitely gets better after the first couple of eps. It's at it's peak when Fay is part of the team, and it keeps the momentum going.

Soldato
Just finished final episode and I'm even more confused now. What the hell was that thing in the alley with the goggles and why was it acting like a retarded child on a sugar rush?

Commissario
I just finished it, and to be honest quite enjoyed it.
It's different to the anime, but then anything that is going from animated to live action is going to be different, especially if it's made 20+ years later (just look at how versions of Dracula, Romeo & Juliet, Cinderalla, Jekyll & Hyde etc all change in different versions), but once I got over that I liked it and liked it a lot more than I was expecting I would.

I'm hoping they do a season 2 as whilst they mixed up various elements in this version, they've not covered at least 8 of the stories from the original including a couple of my favourites.

Re the Anime, it's a different pacing and Faye doesn't turn up until episode 3 so the dynamic is different, i think there is also an element of when you saw it first/your expectations as at the time it was something different, but like a lot of things if you go to it new 10-20-30 years later it doesn't necessarily appeal the same (one of the reasons many of the books that were huge hits for one generation aren't for the next).
I think it helps that the Live Action one in it's 10 episodes had nearly the same run time as the entire anime series, so they were able to expand on things a bit for those who were new to it.

Just finished final episode and I'm even more confused now. What the hell was that thing in the alley with the goggles and why was it acting like a retarded child on a sugar rush?
That's Ed the genius hacker who sent them some info a few episodes earlier., Ed sort of always acts a bit like Ed has a sugar high.

Soldato
I enjoyed this up until the end of the last episode. It felt to me like they betrayed Season 1's story in order to set up a second season.

My biggest bugbears being:
  • Vicious and Fearless surviving. This really cheapened the season ending for me. Vicious, at least, should have died.
  • Julia falling to the dark side faster than anyone since Anakin murdered the younglings.
  • Jet Black deciding not to help Faye after all, despite her saving his life and his daughter's.
  • Ed's jarring introduction. Yeah, I get that's how she is in the anime. But that's going to get annoying fast if there's a Season 2.

The shift in focus from Season 1's story arc to setting up a second season felt very forced to me. If they don't get a second season, the ending is going to feel very cheap.

Back
Top Bottom