So, anyone got an iRobot Roomba or other robot vacuum cleaner?

Soldato
The vibrating mop and the up/down features are great ideas. Self emptying I don't really see the point of. You'll have to empty it manually sooner or later. I quite enjoy emptying mine... 'ooh look how much it got'.

Caporegime
OP
I’m not so interested in the dock, but very interested in the upgraded & vibrating mop. It looks like it actually works & can clean stains for a start, I have the S50 with the first version of the mop and it’s useless.

I never used the mop on my S6, I just knew it would be crap. I have a steam mop and that is the only thing I trust to clean my floor because no robot I have yet seen seems to be able to do a good job when it comes to mopping

You'll have to empty it manually sooner or later. I quite enjoy emptying mine... 'ooh look how much it got'.
Well yes of course you have to empty it manually 'sooner or later', but the point is that you will have to do it less, maybe every 2 or 3 weeks instead of every week. It's a pure convenience thing. :)

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
We've had a Roomba (model 605, I think) since 2016 and I absolutely hate the thing. Most of the time all it does is make a lot of noise, bang into the doors and get wedged under the furniture. If by some luck it hasn't wedged itself under the TV unit then it manages to clean the same part of the flooring over and over again whilst managing to avoid the vast majority of the floors. It'll also manage to move it's charging base around on the dining room floor to the extent that it can't dock itself.

I couldn't help but chuckle at this, thanks for sharing! :cry::cry:

I am warming to the idea of having one but it would have to be better at vacuuming the carpet/tiles if some are saying it misses spots but I understand the tech is bound to get there eventually.

Soldato

I am warming to the idea of having one but it would have to be better at vacuuming the carpet/tiles if some are saying it misses spots but I understand the tech is bound to get there eventually.
My old Xiaomi does a good job on hard surfaces and carpets, obviously with harder surfaces being easier to clean. I'd say its faults are:-
1) It can leave tire/tread marks on carpets. These are not permanent, but because the unit goes down the same path over and over, it pushes the carpet in the same direction under the tires over and over. So you can see a subtle mark around some areas. These disappear with any movement. eg: A regular vacuum.
2) Cleaning at the edges can sometimes not be idea, especially with carpets. But this is minor.
3) Unit height. I let a friend borrow my unit, and come cupboards were at exactly the wrong height so it thought it could go under it, but it wedged.
4) Bar stools. If you've got those round bar stools which slope up in a round base, these confuse the heck out of it. I either move ours out of the way, or I'm trialing magnetic strips under the base to tell the unit not to go there.

Associate

The tech is already there, a roomba 650 is not a good example as it doesn’t have intelligent mapping. If you have a robot with decent intelligent mapping (like a roborock) then it doesn’t get stuck, doesn’t miss spots and always finds its way home.
Robots without it work on a principle of random cleaning, and in theory if you leave it cleaning long enough then it should cover the whole area, but in doing so it may clean one spot 10 times and another just once. Or it could miss corners or whole rooms entirely.

I’d steer clear of all iRobot/roomba models, they're incredibly overpriced and functionality is mediocre. A colleague bought the top of the range i9+ for £1200 last year, and yet she constantly has problems with it getting lost or not docking properly, my 3 year old roborock s50 doesn’t have any of these problems,

Soldato
I recently purchased a Roidmi Eve Plus, another product also under the Xiaomi umbrella.

Having spent ages considering the various options available, I'm glad I went with the Eve Plus as it has so far proved to be fantastic.

Associate
Anyone know where you can get a Roborock S7 (ideally with the bin add-on) in the UK? Currently have a S5 which has been great but looking to replace that soon.
Not seen one yet but seems it might not be out just yet.

https://www.myrobotcenter.co.uk/en_gb/roborock-s7 seem to suggest September, although i am pretty sure this was saying August before. So i dont really know. I'd be interested if anyone knows aswell. There is 1 seller on fleabay with UK stock, unsure if the price is right though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Does anyone know if the Eufy or ECOVACS Robotics ones on Amazon are any good? Contemplating getting the mother one for Xmas.

Currently can't decide between the Eufy BoostIQ 15C MAX or the ECOVAC Robotics Deebot N79S. Both are around the £130 mark down from £250ish.

Also does anyone know if it needs a wifi connection throughout the entire clean? My mums bungalow doesn't get WIFI at the back of the kitchen and was wondering if they are intelligent enough to carry on without wifi.

Last edited:
Associate
Does anyone know if the Eufy or ECOVACS Robotics ones on Amazon are any good? Contemplating getting the mother one for Xmas.

Currently can't decide between the Eufy BoostIQ 15C MAX or the ECOVAC Robotics Deebot N79S. Both are around the £130 mark down from £250ish.

Also does anyone know if it needs a wifi connection throughout the entire clean? My mums bungalow doesn't get WIFI at the back of the kitchen and was wondering if they are intelligent enough to carry on without wifi.

We have an Ecovacs Deebot Osmo 920 purchased from Amazon last Black Friday 2020 and it is great. Lidar mapping, multi floor maps, scheduled cleaning, area/custom/auto cleaning, etc and easy to get spares brushes, etc for. I would say that you really should get a robot with lidar for intelligent cleaning, otherwise they just bounce around randomly to clean. It may cost more but is definitely worth it.

I don't think it needs wifi for the entire clean but will need it where it has the docking station. This would need confirming though to be certain.

Caporegime

Same Boat.
My Old cheap one is dead. The 30c gets great reviews.

Lot of models. No idea what to get

Soldato
Thanks mate. Will have a look around for once that have the mapping feature but think the price jumps up quite a bit when you get to that. They also start to do mopping and what not which i'm not that fussed about.

Caporegime
I couldnt quite figure out what the main differences were between the 15C Max and the 30C.

No I couldn't figure this out. Not much online.

I'm also thinking thr price of the mapping isn't worth it for me. Plan to have mine do kitchen mainly as it get the messiest. Hall and living room. As long as it manages that that's all I'm worried about

Caporegime
Got a eufy g30 verge.
Paid 200 for it.

This one has temporary mapping. By that I mean I knows where it started and builds a map as it goes. It also goes in very straight lines. It also know when it's done the whole area.

It finishes the kitchen, hall and living room in 35 mins. And goes absolutely everywhere. It's quicker and better than me!

This is much better than the old original first gen I had that died. It was just a random one.

Definitely echo the advice to get one with some sort of mapping.
I definitely do not need the lidar. But this basic mapping really helps.

Works with Google assistant too.

Caporegime
OP
Has anyone elses Roborock started to clean in weird patterns since recent updates? My S6 now approaches its cleaning route in a differnet way and isn't as good at getting the edges of the room, it seems to do a more superficial and less thorough job than before in my bedroom. Very annoying. :(
EDIT - Seems deleting and re-adding the map may help. I^ll try it. https://www.reddit.com/r/Roborock/comments/jjdit0/updated_firmware_no_more_straight_lines_clean/

EDIT EDIT - Deleting the map and then letting it re-create the map seems to have worked a treat! :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone having trouble sourcing quality side brushes for Xiaomi?

I've got a Roborock S50 and an S55 still going great. The filters and main brushes available on Amazon / eBay / AliExpress are all fine.

But the side brushes are made of cheese and the legs break off in anything from a few days to a few weeks.

I've tried various different listings some with thee tips some with six and nothing is doing the job.

Has anyone found the same? If you've got a reliable supplier can you let me know the details?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom