Do I need a structural engineer?

Soldato
Our neighbor's have the same style and size garage as us. Double, with two single up an overs.
They have had the brick pillar in the middle removed and a steel put in with one big (~5m) Hormann sectional fitted and we want to do the same.

Would it be reasonable to measure the neighbor's steel up, ring building control that I want to do the same?
Or would they expect to see calcs?

The garage door company (same firm the neighbor used) have quoted £600 for structural engineer, £2750 for fitting the steel, and £3500 for the door supply and fit (ex. VAT).
So I'm looking to prep the hole, and just have them fit the door.

Soldato
So I'm looking to prep the hole.

The engineer isn't that expensive in the grand scale of things so I don't think you need to do that :eek::p

Edit
As maccapacca says you'll need to get an engineer. The beam size may be ok (I'm basing this on the fact I have a span table from Dundee city council which was produced back in 1989 which gets referenced now which our local council should accept without an engineer. From memory the beam may well be a 254 X 146 X 37kg beam. However don't quote me on the loadings that would entail. E.g additional blockwork above and with or without truss loadings depending on which way the roof is spanning etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom