• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Screenshot Request

Associate
Hey,

I recently bought a 12600KF as my aging 5960X I was holding my 3080 back via poor single threaded performance.

I mainly play Warzone and BF2042, the problem is the core usage is so uneven with Alder Lake that I still get 2 cores maxed out when others are barely used and it makes the games microstutter.

I'm not sure if its just me or the new architecture (or Win10) so I'm hoping somone would be kind enough to do a quick screenshot of task manager when playing BF2042 so I can compare the core usage graphs please?

Here's mine;

bf2042.jpg

Don
You need to upgrade to Windows 11 for Alder Lake to work properly, otherwise your thread and core scheduling is going to be all over the place.

Alderlake requires Win 11, Win 10 doesn't know what to do with the P & E cores.

Whilst I would say that Windows 11 may help, it's not a guarantee - a simple way to check would be to disable the E cores and then retest.

There is a fairly decent article regarding windows 10 vs 11 performance here:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/alder-lake-windows-10-performance/

In task manager, AL cores are laid out with the P cores first (Alternating between Physical and logical cores), and E cores last, so in the above screenshot the two threads are already running on physical P cores anyway.

A quick look on reddit and the like suggests it's more an issue with BF2042 than anything specific to Alderlake:
https://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield2042/comments/q3koq9/beta_cpu_stutterbottleneck_potential_fixes/

Associate
Ultimately though, if you're maxing out a CPU for the likes of gaming, there is always going to be a core or two which is pinned at 100% whilst others aren't. Its the nature of the gaming process pipeline ... at somepoint all the shared out work spread across the cores generally needs to combine into a finished piece of work to be passed elsewhere. That funnelling will end up loading up a core.

To be fair, looking at the graph, it does look like the bulk of cores are doing a fair amount of work each.

Associate
there has been a lot of micro stuttering server side this week especialy at the start of the rounds for a bit

I know on my friends 5900 its not been using all the cores

never bothered checking on my cpu

Last edited:
Associate
Personally i wouldnt base anything off of 2042 as its a utter sh@t show at the moment, try a few other games and then see how they compare, im betting that 2042 will probably be the only game that is doing that to that extent

Back
Top Bottom