Poll: ** The official Apple TV 4K thread (the 2021 model has a new remote and everything!) **

Are you buying the 4K Apple TV?

• Yes

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • No

Votes: 52 31.5%
  • Not at the moment, maybe later

Votes: 55 33.3%

• Total voters
Soldato
The Netflix app on Apple TV tends to lag quite a bit behind compared to those natively on TVs.

Really!?! Netflix in native TV's is slow as hell to me, jumpy in menus etc - awful, I presume its because most TV's don't have a CPU or Ram anywhere near the Apple TV.

I much prefer ATV as much as I can with every app - its SO much faster, smoother, etc

Man of Honour
Really!?! Netflix in native TV's is slow as hell to me, jumpy in menus etc - awful, I presume its because most TV's don't have a CPU or Ram anywhere near the Apple TV.

I much prefer ATV as much as I can with every app - its SO much faster, smoother, etc
The issue is that newer interfaces are almost always released on native apps sometimes months in advance of the Apple TV version being updated. As has been said though, I tend not to use TV apps (unless it's iPlayer UHD) so I don't really notice. TV apps are much faster on more modern TVs, they've come a long way in the past few years. My CX OLED makes my 2018 LCD TV look like a Pentium 1.

Commissario
The Netflix app on Apple TV tends to lag quite a bit behind compared to those natively on TVs.

I’ve asked this before…. What features?

I use the Netflix app on my ATV, I can search for stuff, I can play stuff. It keeps a track of where I am, it allows multiple people to use it.

I can scroll forwards and backwards, I can pause and resume.

What are the features I’m missing?

Man of Honour

I use the Netflix app on my ATV, I can search for stuff, I can play stuff. It keeps a track of where I am, it allows multiple people to use it.

New interfaces essentially.

Soldato

I want consistency in UI. I don’t see why that’s difficult. Little features in iPlayer like showing a box in the bottom right showing a timer and next up content, or user profiles.

Soldato
I want consistency in UI. I don’t see why that’s difficult. Little features in iPlayer like showing a box in the bottom right showing a timer and next up content, or user profiles.

Actually there is something I Like on the internal app on TV, new content tab where you can set reminders and it automatically adds to my list when its released, I cant seem to do that on the app via ATV4K.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Yea I found the same on ATV, all these little improvements and UI tweaks don't seem to make it to the ATV app. Like you couldn't watch the football in UHD on iPlayer on ATV, but you could on both my LG build in apps and on the Google TV.

Soldato
Yea I found the same on ATV, all these little improvements and UI tweaks don't seem to make it to the ATV app. Like you couldn't watch the football in UHD on iPlayer on ATV, but you could on both my LG build in apps and on the Google TV.
I think the 4K think was regarding HLG, but yeah - you’re not telling me that the chip in my panny 4K from 6 years ago is better than the A10X in my gen 1 ATV 4k

most annoying thing, on the in-laws Samsung (base model 4K 50) I can set up profiles and even a specific kids profile in that version of iPlayer - yet nothing on Apple TV. Bit of a joke really.

Soldato
Not 'exactly' appletv related, not the box anyway. I have the apple tv app on my lg c9 tv which i use to watch my itunes content. But fast forward/rewind are god awful and seem about 20 years behind and i'm wondering if it's something i'm doing wrong. If i use netflix or prime, i can hold fast forward and i get the scroll bar with the little preview pane and i can very quickly get to where i want to be in a video and i've come to expect this. But with apple tv app i can only do 2x to 4x fast forward and rewind, no skipping across a scroll bar with a nice preview window. Does anyone know a better way to do this? Also can anyone confirm that on the apple tv 4k box you get a better control or is that the same as this app with x2 x4 etc?

Associate
OP

Agreed. I've always been an advocate for the ATV (and still am tbh), but I grabbed the 4K Max Fire Stick this week and tbh, it's more than up to the task. Has UHD (with HLG HDR) for iPlayer and all the latest versions of the apps (Netflix, Spotify & iPlayer as examples) which for me, look more visually appealing than their ATV counterparts.

Back
Top Bottom