When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
If only there was some sort of button, which was somewhere easily accessible in the vehicle, which was specifically designed to warn other road users of your presence via a warning horn or similar.

Soldato
thanks pretty sure it wasn't making that noise ... and there were no other cars/pedestrians within 200m to distract me.

Why, though?
as a cyclist/runner, unlike in a car, noise behind is first indication of whether you will then look if you are considering changing your position on the road,
... yes - I'm not a cyclist who autocratically puts their arm out without first looking, and, checking it's safe; should be looking regularly too, anyway, to know what's coming up from behind - ready for the HGV, but they are usually the most competent.

Soldato
I doubt you’d hear the noise maker when riding a bike, the noise of your bike will probably be louder than the noise maker and the tyre noise of the car going above 15mph will also be louder.

Caporegime
If only there was some sort of button, which was somewhere easily accessible in the vehicle, which was specifically designed to warn other road users of your presence via a warning horn or similar.

You tried beeping your horn at pedestrians on country lanes who havent heard you come up behind them? You get abuse.

Plus not advised if they are on a horse either.

but they ought to be a button to make a louder engine sound to make you more noticeable to pedestrians

Soldato
A friend of mine at college installed a megaphone under the bonnet of his cheap Astra and it was connected through in the car to like a police radio / trucker thingy? ("breaker breaker 1-2 this is blah blah blah".... you know)

Nothing to do with replicating engine noise or anything it was mostly used to annoy passers-by - the way the sound dispersed made it kind of hard to tell exactly where it was coming from leading to some extremely confused people when you'd whisper some weird stuff into it just as they crossed at the pelican crossing in front of you

Soldato
You tried beeping your horn at pedestrians on country lanes who havent heard you come up behind them? You get abuse.

Plus not advised if they are on a horse either.

but they ought to be a button to make a louder engine sound to make you more noticeable to pedestrians

I have, on occasion, yes - obviously not a loud blast, just a gentle pip to warn them if they seemingly haven't spotted me. Not suffered abuse so far, I think it's always been obvious that I'm doing it for their benefit.

But I will admit, I was being a bit impish with my response :p - I do actually agree in principle, at slow speed, an electric car can be hard to detect until the last moment.

It's not an insurmountable problem though. I was on a trip in Italy a couple of years ago, and noticed in Florence that all the of the taxis, which were largely BEVs or hybrids, would emit a constant beeping noise at slow speeds. It wasn't annoying or intrusive, like the reverse beep of a lorry. Just roughly loud enough to equate roughly to the volume of an idling engine. Surprisingly useful, especially in tight medieval city centres with lots of tourists on foot wandering around. Of course, once they are above about 15-20MPH, they become no quieter than an ICE vehicle, due to tyre noise.

And you are of course right about horses. I always call out to the rider to warn them I'm about to pass if I'm cycling, so I don't blast past them and freak out the horse. But I can see how a silent EV might be an issue.

Caporegime
A friend of mine at college installed a megaphone under the bonnet of his cheap Astra and it was connected through in the car to like a police radio / trucker thingy? ("breaker breaker 1-2 this is blah blah blah".... you know)

Nothing to do with replicating engine noise or anything it was mostly used to annoy passers-by - the way the sound dispersed made it kind of hard to tell exactly where it was coming from leading to some extremely confused people when you'd whisper some weird stuff into it just as they crossed at the pelican crossing in front of you

Lol must have been a thing. When I was 17 my mate fitted a pa speaker in the engine compartment of his car and cb radio mike and amp and used to shout at pedestrians.

Soldato
Even in my SUV because its so quiet and refined and the engine is barely ticking over at low speeds,, pedestrians quite often on country lanes dont hear you.

So its not just an issue with electric cars.

The noise needs to be louder tbh

I'm not sure what the etiquette is...blasting the horn seems excessive but then what other option is there in absence if an engine to rev? :o

The horn on the Mach-E is proper American obnoxious also!

Soldato
Pedestrians on country roads should be facing oncoming traffic ... it's ok to remind them of that, but they are not going to see you gesticulating.
I'm assuming the speaker used for the external ev noise couldn't be commandeered to play an appropriate tune.

Soldato
I'm not sure what the etiquette is...blasting the horn seems excessive but then what other option is there in absence if an engine to rev? :o

The horn on the Mach-E is proper American obnoxious also!
I know of someone who has installed a battery operated door chime under the bonnet. Always gets a smile from cyclists and pedestrians... Ding dong :D might have to get one myself.

Soldato
Well, looks like I've managed to snag a Kona EV, the 150kW/64kWh version on a 3 year lease, and should be arriving in the w/c 6th December all being well, so I'm quite excited now! I'll also be moving house over the next month or two so of course the focus has switched to getting a charging point installed. Is there a general consensus on the bests points? I don't need anything too flash - I'll schedule the charging on the car etc, just one that works well.

Soldato
Well, looks like I've managed to snag a Kona EV, the 150kW/64kWh version on a 3 year lease, and should be arriving in the w/c 6th December all being well, so I'm quite excited now! I'll also be moving house over the next month or two so of course the focus has switched to getting a charging point installed. Is there a general consensus on the bests points? I don't need anything too flash - I'll schedule the charging on the car etc, just one that works well.
Interested to know price, if you don't mind?

Soldato
Interested to know price, if you don't mind?

Car is the "Premium" trim level, with Dark Knight Pearl paint (it was already on order/"in stock"). Payment profile is 9+35 with £2,792.61 initial and £310.29 monthly, for a total of £10,549.86 against a P11D of £35,560. 8k miles/year.

Back
Top Bottom