Images of items I have purchased (except trainers)

Soldato
UN0TxOo.jpg

Our oven decided to stop working yesterday so it felt like the perfect time to get an air fryer to last us until it's repaired.

I will be missing oven pizzas for the next couple of weeks but time to see what all the rage is about

fez

fez

Caporegime
A few things.

I've been hankering after a zojirushi for a while now but I can't figure out for the life of me which one to get and they are fantastically expensive over here.

The model numbers make so little sense and they have different numbers in different countries muddying the waters even more.

Is there any particular reason you went for that model?

Caporegime
I've been hankering after a zojirushi for a while now but I can't figure out for the life of me which one to get and they are fantastically expensive over here.

The model numbers make so little sense and they have different numbers in different countries muddying the waters even more.

Is there any particular reason you went for that model?

No reason except I was just walking in a mall and saw this offer. I would have bought that Toaster oven too for £20 but I had no space!

In terms of which Zojirushi, they all cook rice so I just get one that is large enough for your use. The larger ones comes with rack to steam stuff. This one is small, only cook enough rice for 4 max.

92fqxA8.jpg

In GBP - Spend £25, get £50 off this rice cooker, down to £70. A rice cooker which sells for £300 on Amazon uk.

So i am like….how do I spend this £25 to save £200 ? lol I did buy a nice suitcase. Photo below in keeping with the theme.

iBTfBaT.jpg

fez

fez

Caporegime
In GBP - Spend £25, get £50 off this rice cooker, down to £70. A rice cooker which sells for £300 on Amazon uk.

Fancy chucking another one in there for me :p

I could stomach £120 for a rice cooker but the £300 is madness. Everyone raves about them and I cook a lot of rice but damn, £300 for something my saucepan does to probably 80% of the quality.

Caporegime
Fancy chucking another one in there for me :p

I could stomach £120 for a rice cooker but the £300 is madness. Everyone raves about them and I cook a lot of rice but damn, £300 for something my saucepan does to probably 80% of the quality.

It was more like £95, (£25 + 70). Although that £25 or more is up to you. My suitcase was more than £25.

I would have totally bought like 5 back (£70 x 5 = £350, still under my customs limit), sold them at £200 each here, and it will pay for my flight lol. But I did not have enough suitcase allowance lol

Singapore is 230v too with UK plug which is the same as home so it just worked out of the box like I bought it from Amazon. No warranty of course…well, unless you are willing to trek it back to that department store but who cares with 75% off price. Black Friday has never been this good!

In terms of quality…I can honestly say, and I eat a LOT of rice and eaten it out of a lot of rice cookers, the rice from this is just better. The basmati rice out of this is just even all round from the bottom to the top. I don’t know what it is doing but the rice is better. It’s hard to put it into words without trying it. Of course, £300 is a heck of a lot to give it a try. £70 though, I take that punt all day long.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been looking out for a well priced Bike Box Alan for a month or so...

x4iwW4A.jpg

Not the colour I would have chosen, but got it at a great price, so I'll make do :cry:

YluoXXs.jpg

Annoyingly, it's about an inch too long to get in the boot with both seats up.
Tried orientating it other way round? Looks slightly lower on opposite side so might not foul on seat back.

Look good them boxes mind

Caporegime
@fez

I read into it some more…get a rice cooker with something call Fuzzy Logic, essentially it is a computer chip inside that can adjust in real time the cooking environment for the rice. To simulate a stone pot over fire effect. Rather one that just has a pre-programmed temp and timer or just heat it until the trigger to tell when all the water has gone.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...he-smartest-kitchen-appliance-ive-ever-owned/

fez

fez

Caporegime
@fez

I read into it some more…get a rice cooker with something call Fuzzy Logic, essentially it is a computer chip inside that can adjust in real time the cooking environment for the rice. To simulate a stone pot over fire effect. Rather one that just has a pre-programmed temp and timer or just heat it until the trigger to tell when all the water has gone.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...he-smartest-kitchen-appliance-ive-ever-owned/

Yeah, the fuzzy logic is something the Zojirushis have had for a long time and its definitely what you want. Its all the other options like induction, what size and basically its just analysis paralysis.

Everyone who has one raves about them. How much better the rice tastes and how easy they are to use. If it could make perfect sushi rice for me I would probably be sold.

Caporegime
Yeah, the fuzzy logic is something the Zojirushis have had for a long time and its definitely what you want. Its all the other options like induction, what size and basically its just analysis paralysis.

Everyone who has one raves about them. How much better the rice tastes and how easy they are to use. If it could make perfect sushi rice for me I would probably be sold.

I could sing it’s praises but it’s hard to sell a £300 rice cooker because ultimately if your technique with a pan on a fire is good enough, you can do it perfectly. It’s just this does it when left to it’s own devices while I am watching Netflix. I will say it is the best rice from any other rice cooker that I have had, but this is the first one with Fuzzy Logic. I have not bought a rice cooker in quite a while and never a Zojirushi.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
I could sing it’s praises but it’s hard to sell a £300 rice cooker because ultimately if your technique with a pan on a fire is good enough, you can do it perfectly. It’s just this does it when left to it’s own devices while I am watching Netflix. I will say it is the best rice from any other rice cooker that I have had, but this is the first one with Fuzzy Logic. I have not bought a rice cooker in quite a while and never a Zojirushi.
Pretty much this. Rice cookers are overkill for the western market.
They're for Japanese families that need a device to feed multiple people, multiple times a day, by keeping the rice at the right temperature so the bacteria doesn't make them ill.

As for makes it taste better... that's probably a quote from people who usually put 10:1 water in their pot, overboil, and wonder why it's complete mush when served on the plate.

Caporegime
Pretty much this. Rice cookers are overkill for the western market.
They're for Japanese families that need a device to feed multiple people, multiple times a day, by keeping the rice at the right temperature so the bacteria doesn't make them ill.

As for makes it taste better... that's probably a quote from people who usually put 10:1 water in their pot, overboil, and wonder why it's complete mush when served on the plate.

For the western market, I would say this is on a similar level as getting a Ooni pizza oven. Lots will argue you can do it with an oven + a stone etc or close enough that you are happy with the difference.

It depends how much you use it or appreciate it. If rice is your main source of carbs and use daily and something you like, like if you LOVE pizza, then you will spend the money.

If you look at it like toaster, then no and no amount of persuasion will change that nor it should.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
For the western market, I would say this is on a similar level as getting a Ooni pizza oven. Lots will argue you can do it with an oven + a stone etc or close enough that you are happy with the difference.

It depends how much you use it or appreciate it. If rice is your main source of carbs and use daily and something you like, like if you LOVE pizza, then you will spend the money.

If you look at it like toaster, then no and no amount of persuasion will change that nor it should.
Does your conventional oven go to 400+ deg C? It's not the same discussion.
A rice cooker does nothing a pot can't do in 10 mins. Everything else around it is a matter of convenience. The sensationalism about how much easier and better the rice cooker is, is nonsense. It adds nothing extra to the cook process.
Ooni ovens cook a pizza from fresh dough to stone baked in 90seconds and there's a significant taste difference. No conventional oven can do that.

Caporegime
Does your conventional oven go to 400+ deg C? It's not the same discussion.
A rice cooker does nothing a pot can't do in 10 mins. Everything else around it is a matter of convenience. The sensationalism about how much easier and better the rice cooker is, is nonsense. It adds nothing extra to the cook process.
Ooni ovens cook a pizza from fresh dough to stone baked in 90seconds and there's a significant taste difference. No conventional oven can do that.

Well..you can rig it to....seen it done lol and does a pot and pan guarantee perfect rice every time while I watch Netflix?

It's not the same either, and the perception of how well it comes out and how much you love a certain kind of food is the main point I am trying to put across, NOT the temp of an oven. What you are suggesting is that everyone who eats pizza must get a Ooni ! lol

I am trying to AGREE with you here that a rice cooker is not for everyone...stop trying to ague and agree with me that agree with you lol

fez

fez

Caporegime
A rice cooker does nothing a pot can't do in 10 mins.

Do you have a high end rice cooker? Even people who know how to cook rice seem to say that these dedicated machines make much better rice.

I am good at making rice but I am still looking forward to seeing if this is better than I can do it on a stovetop.

Caporegime
Whilst it is nice knowing that I could make the same with a pan on the stove…I really don’t think I want to go to that faff doing that daily. It is not really not something I want to be doing even once a week. I like to press and button and be done. So practically, I don’t compare it to a stove top method but comparing it to another, cheaper usually, rice cooker. I’ve had before a cheap Tefal one in the past, some mid range one without fuzzy logic and lots of people’s at home and out (not sure what they use), but the rice from this I find is what one describe rice would be. Basmatic comes out individual grain, each one is the same as the next, perfect consistency from the top to the bottom of the pan. There is no burnt bottom, there is no mushiness. When it says done, it’s done. Some other rice cooker when it’s done, you need to let it rest for 15 more mins.

I really don’t know what it does internally but the results I find is better, not “is this in my head” better but better.

I still have the other rice cooker that my parents brought back from Hong Kong, I could do a head to head comparison, using the same measurements of rice. Whilst you can’t taste it, I can show you photos of the grain. I am also not going to derail this thread into a rice cooker thread so will leave it here and post that to the Cuisine forum.

(From the perspective of an Asian person who eats more rice than the average western diet)

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Do you have a high end rice cooker? Even people who know how to cook rice seem to say that these dedicated machines make much better rice.

I am good at making rice but I am still looking forward to seeing if this is better than I can do it on a stovetop.
I lived in Japan for the better part of a decade and owned one while over there, and experienced other people's. Absolutely no taste difference whatsoever.
Whilst it is nice knowing that I could make the same with a pan on the stove…I really don’t think I want to go to that faff doing that daily.
If you employ the same technique as below and still think it's a faff, idk what to say.

Caporegime
If you employ the same technique as below and still think it's a faff, idk what to say.

Like I said twice already, that needs attention and also practice and ATTENTION.

If you miss it by like a minute then it's not the same.

Again, doing it with a rice cooker means I get to concentrate on other things. So its not comparing making rice on a stove vs rice cooker, its more rice cooker vs other rice cookers.

There is also massive problem with that video. The guidelines in that video are done in minutes. Which is fine, but that is the time for that quantity of rice. Which you need to adjust to different quantity of rice, not to mention not every hob is the same. The way I am taught with a pan is to watch and listen, watch for the bubbling and listen for certain sounds happening inside the pan. Which, takes attention.

The problem is that

1 - If you love rice enough, and eat it often enough, you can justify to yourself a Zojirushi. I am not justifying it to you. I don't need to.

2 - If you don’t care, then you just don’t care. I doubt you would care enough to faff with a pan and do it on a hob either. If you don’t know the difference then why would you care to even learn?

3 - If you care enough but don’t want to spend the money…this is the grey area we are talking about. It’s not a hob vs rice cooker question.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom