Fttp finally here, still want my landline.

Associate
I'm with EE on FTTC 30Mb/s and as from this morning can now upgrade to FTTP. EE are offering me 500Mb/s for £35 or 900Mb/s for £45. When asking about my landline, they said they couldn't offer a landline service, I would have to use BT. So does that mean I would have to switch to BT? Can't I have the 900Mb/s FTTP with EE and some how keep my landline service?

My partner's Mum wouldn't know how to use a mobile phone, so we still keep it for her.

Soldato
VOIP?
We have a sipgate "phoneline" which I put about £10 on a year as we mainly use mobiles for outgoing calls
They even allow you to migrate your landline to it

Caporegime
Take the opportunity to port your landline number out to a VoIP provider like Sipgate, and then you won't have to worry about your phone number being tied to your Internet in future either.

Soldato
Cant you just get it all with BT ? I do, its about £50 a month including unlimited FTTP, landline and they upgraded the landline to full digital for free and gave me a new all digital phone set for free and i got upgraded to the faster speeds for £1 a month extra.

Associate
OP
VOIP?
We have a sipgate "phoneline" which I put about £10 on a year as we mainly use mobiles for outgoing calls
They even allow you to migrate your landline to it

I like the idea of this, we mainly use mobiles too. Like I said in the OP it's mainly so my partners mother can ring us. I had a quick look on sipgate, but could only see the £30 a month option. How are you using yours like a PAYG?

Associate
OP
Cant you just get it all with BT ? I do, its about £50 a month including unlimited FTTP, landline and they upgraded the landline to full digital for free and gave me a new all digital phone set for free and i got upgraded to the faster speeds for £1 a month extra.

Been with BT, won't go back.

Soldato
Been with BT, won't go back.

Must just be your area, i find them fantastic. They even dug up and repaired my driveway to lay the last part of FTTP for free, as did they with the whole village who needed it. There were teams of workers here and they did a great job

Soldato
I like the idea of this, we mainly use mobiles too. Like I said in the OP it's mainly so my partners mother can ring us. I had a quick look on sipgate, but could only see the £30 a month option. How are you using yours like a PAYG?

Look for Sipgate Basic. You can do PAYG or they do unlimited calls for £10 a month but their call rates are so low you’d have be making an awful lot of calls to justify the unlimited option. On the PAYG you can do automated top ups when your balance drops so it’s totally hassle free - my grandparents in their 80’s used it with a Grandstream ATA connecting their existing phones for a few years and managed fine.

They also offer a Teams hosted PBX service which is more expensive - sounds like you’ve found that.

Associate
OP
Look for Sipgate Basic. You can do PAYG or they do unlimited calls for £10 a month but their call rates are so low you’d have be making an awful lot of calls to justify the unlimited option. On the PAYG you can do automated top ups when your balance drops so it’s totally hassle free - my grandparents in their 80’s used it with a Grandstream ATA connecting their existing phones for a few years and managed fine.

They also offer a Teams hosted PBX service which is more expensive - sounds like you’ve found that.

Will definitely try the PAYG first. I read the price at £1.18 p/min for landline calls but then understand it's actually 1.18p per minute.....

I've signed up, just waiting for the confirmation letter with my authorisation code before I can go any further.

The questions I have are regarding setting this up are on the hardware side. So I have a digital cordless phone. Do I need a VoIP phone when I am active? How would I connect it when up and running?

Can I forward calls to a or multiple mobile numbers?

V F

V F

Soldato
Take the opportunity to port your landline number out to a VoIP provider like Sipgate, and then you won't have to worry about your phone number being tied to your Internet in future either.

Can't that be done even with it tied into an Internet provider? According to Sipgate it seems they can do it. The copper phone lines are going to be done away with by the end of 2025 anyway.

Soldato
Can vouch for Sipgate Basic too, switched to this almost 6 months ago after moving away from BT.

Have basically ported our landline number over to Sipgate for a small fee and topped up the account with £10, currently got £9.58 balance still.

Have set up the app on all our phones as most outgoing calls are done on mobile now.

Soldato

Have you considered that you're solving the problem the wrong way round? You don't need a landline for the mother in law to call your partner, she needs a mobile call package on her line to cover the calls to her daughters mobile. The added bonus being she has a much better chance of actually getting her when she rings, rather than just when she's at home. The other option is to use VoIP, but not with an ATA (Cisco SPA112 work well if you choose to ignore me). Again this means she can call and you use a VoIP client on your mobile because that's much more logical than having a fixed ATA set-up that only works when you're at home. Well, unless the objective is that she can't contact her daughter, then continue as you were.

Must just be your area, i find them fantastic. They even dug up and repaired my driveway to lay the last part of FTTP for free, as did they with the whole village who needed it. There were teams of workers here and they did a great job

OR aren't BT and BT don't do construction.

Associate
OP
Have you considered that you're solving the problem the wrong way round? You don't need a landline for the mother in law to call your partner, she needs a mobile call package on her line to cover the calls to her daughters mobile. The added bonus being she has a much better chance of actually getting her when she rings, rather than just when she's at home.

No, she doesn't know how to function a mobile phone. I wish she did as it would solve the issue.

A VoIP in package is the best solution.

Soldato
No, she doesn't know how to function a mobile phone. I wish she did as it would solve the issue.

A VoIP in package is the best solution.

Why would she need to ‘function’ a mobile phone? You add a call package that includes mobile minutes to you MIL’s land line, heck pay for it if that’s an issue, she just dials the mobile number from her landline. If you prefer going VoIP then just use a mobile app, it’s pointless having a number that can reach you anywhere on the planet with Wi-Fi and then just pushing it to your home. If you really have some strange affection for your cordless phone, the Cisco I mentioned earlier will allow you to do that.

Associate
Probably more a case of the mother-in-law knows the landline number instinctively, almost like muscle memory and so can call the daughter without thinking (I can still rattle off phone numbers from 40 years ago but don't know my own now) , and has a built-in filter against dialling premium mobile numbers.

My dad is the same, as is my wife's mum. My landline is only for people who never got on with mobiles... and Indian call centres.

V F

V F

Soldato
Why would she need to ‘function’ a mobile phone? You add a call package that includes mobile minutes to you MIL’s land line, heck pay for it if that’s an issue, she just dials the mobile number from her landline. If you prefer going VoIP then just use a mobile app, it’s pointless having a number that can reach you anywhere on the planet with Wi-Fi and then just pushing it to your home. If you really have some strange affection for your cordless phone, the Cisco I mentioned earlier will allow you to do that.

That depends though, a lot of my relatives I haven't heard from in many years knows my landline number and just as @skyripper states, they know the number off by heart and because of that I usually only get calls from them when there is a death in the family. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to contact hence why I got the phone number transferred over to VoIP. As the regular copper line was already busted.

It would have been too costly for BT to rectify it.

Soldato
That depends though, a lot of my relatives I haven't heard from in many years knows my landline number and just as @skyripper states, they know the number off by heart and because of that I usually only get calls from them when there is a death in the family. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to contact hence why I got the phone number transferred over to VoIP. As the regular copper line was already busted.

It would have been too costly for BT to rectify it.

Did you actually read what you quoted and the part you highlighted? It’s just your reply, especially in relation to the part you chose to highlight, suggests you didn’t.

The days of people having to know numbers off by heart are gone, especially if they don’t use them for decades. My point was if someone goes VoIP you can receive calls anywhere on the planet with a suitable data connection, why would you therefore buy an ATA and limit that ability to your home cordless phone?

As to the fear of not knowing if someone dies, surely other family members would also be notified and capable of getting in touch, you know, the ones that do have contact with you? I don’t have every family members number, but equally I can phone someone who will. That hasn’t changed since mobiles became a thing, if anything it’s now even easier. Also the cost element to repair a line is irrelevant, OR have an obligation to repair the service if it’s faulty. A few years back that meant 4 months of roadworks and half a village being dug up in my case, they would never, ever recoup that cost.

V F

V F

Soldato
Did you actually read what you quoted and the part you highlighted? It’s just your reply, especially in relation to the part you chose to highlight, suggests you didn’t.

The days of people having to know numbers off by heart are gone, especially if they don’t use them for decades. My point was if someone goes VoIP you can receive calls anywhere on the planet with a suitable data connection, why would you therefore buy an ATA and limit that ability to your home cordless phone?

As to the fear of not knowing if someone dies, surely other family members would also be notified and capable of getting in touch, you know, the ones that do have contact with you? I don’t have every family members number, but equally I can phone someone who will. That hasn’t changed since mobiles became a thing, if anything it’s now even easier. Also the cost element to repair a line is irrelevant, OR have an obligation to repair the service if it’s faulty. A few years back that meant 4 months of roadworks and half a village being dug up in my case, they would never, ever recoup that cost.

You know every scenario do you? Or the fact it only affects you... I've got weird family members where if they cannot contact you they wont find ways to get in touch. Nor do I know if they have mobiles as they are in their 70/80s as communication can pass in years but they always had a way to contact via landline.

I needed a working home landline as the only option was to go VoIP to get a functional phone for others. Well geewizz bro, you obviously didn't experience what I went through trying to get Openreach to fix a copper land line. The obligation part wasn't happening. Months of dead end refusals to fix a line and over 14 engineers that reported the same problems that came to a dead end. As I was left at one point for over a month with no working phone line and the noise was so bad it eventually collapsed and that was only one aspect to it.

Back
Top Bottom