Cheap & easy AP to push Wifi outside - TP-Link EAP110?

Soldato
Hi, I'm after if anyone has used the TP-Link
EAP110-Outdoor AP
https://www.tp-link.com/uk/business-networking/outdoor-ap/eap110-outdoor/

Friend has Wifi, probably a standard ADSL connection type router and wants to get a signal outside to his garage/shed (to run mobile/appletv/laptop through).
My current thinking is to bang a hole in the wall and use something like the TP-Link EAP110-Outdoor, mounted on the outside of the house somewhere towards he wants to use his devices. Probably use a TP-Link POE injector and then I'm just running 1 cat5 cable to do the job.

Something like: https://www.tp-link.com/uk/business-networking/accessory/tl-poe150s/

Throughput doesn't have to be massive, he's quite rural so would guess his ADSL less than 50mbps and this is for running an online cycling platform (Zwift) - which has quite low data throughput requirements (I can see the EAP110 isn't Wireless N etc).

Thoughts? Anything better or a better way of doing this for similar money (<£100) I should be looking at instead?

Thanks

Caporegime
For the work that you're going to put in, I would spend a bit more and go for the EAP225-Outdoor and gain 5GHz and 802.11ac, as well as 'real' PoE support.

Associate
I second the advice on the EAP225 outdoor. I have these setup in my home, the EAP stuff is great, fast , never drops a beats . Also, worth noting the EAP225 comes with the PoE injector an PSU in the box.

Soldato
Thread revival, I'm looking at the EAP110-Outdoor just now for coverage in the garden. I don't need any more throughput than the EAP110 can manage with its 100mbps Ethernet connection, nor the 5GHz band as I guess 2.4GHz will go at least as far anyway.

The 110 only uses 3.1W whereas the 225 uses 10.5W.

I have an 8 port switch with 4 PoE ports so don't need another injector (although the TP-Link page says both come with injectors?)

The 225 is twice the price, uses more power, but I don't think the 5GHz, 802.11ac is really any benefit for me as I'd expect the 110 to manage a perfectly respectable 30-50mbps across the garden. Am I missing something important?

Soldato
Thread revival, I'm looking at the EAP110-Outdoor just now for coverage in the garden. I don't need any more throughput than the EAP110 can manage with its 100mbps Ethernet connection, nor the 5GHz band as I guess 2.4GHz will go at least as far anyway.

The 110 only uses 3.1W whereas the 225 uses 10.5W.

I have an 8 port switch with 4 PoE ports so don't need another injector (although the TP-Link page says both come with injectors?)

The 225 is twice the price, uses more power, but I don't think the 5GHz, 802.11ac is really any benefit for me as I'd expect the 110 to manage a perfectly respectable 30-50mbps across the garden. Am I missing something important?

No. In external situations you’ll get double the range on 2.4GHz vs 5GHz. The AC unit would get you much better transfer rates closer to the house though. It depends if you’re doing file transfers or just browsing and e-mailing. We recently upgraded to the 1Gbps synchronous fibre from Upp and while I LOVE it, we VERY rarely use a quarter of the available bandwidth and it’s only when we’re transferring data from NAS to NAS or backing up to the cloud that we really use the full bandwidth.

Soldato
Installed my EAP110-Outdoor at the weekend. Seems to work well, 10-20mbps, 50+ m from the house, covers lawn, polytunnel, shed etc.
It came with a PoE injector which works well. However, I'm disappointed it doesn't work from my Netgear PoE switch, this one: GS308P
When plugged directly into a PoE port, without the TPLink injector nothing happens, no lights on switch or access point. Any idea why?

Soldato
If you want to free up that socket you could use a Ubiquiti INS-3AF-I-G. Connect that between your PoE switch and the AP and away you go. The INS-3-AF-I-G takes in the 802.3af that your switch outputs and converts it to the 24v passive that the AP wants. They're cheap, I think I paid £15 for mine when I bought them.

Soldato
If you want to free up that socket you could use a Ubiquiti INS-3AF-I-G. Connect that between your PoE switch and the AP and away you go. The INS-3-AF-I-G takes in the 802.3af that your switch outputs and converts it to the 24v passive that the AP wants. They're cheap, I think I paid £15 for mine when I bought them.
Thanks, that looks useful.

Is there such a gadget that takes 802.3af input and outputs 24V passive PoE and a USB socket for power?

Soldato
OP
Wow, apologies totally missed the revival and further questions! Nothing really to add anyway, other than my friends EAP225 is still working well.

Installed it outside on quite an exposed edge of his house which 'catches the rain' (mid-wales hillside cottage). Used standard CAT5e and fully expect it to begin struggling at some point - will then replace with shielded/outside graded cable when it does.

Has been faultless - signal range better than expected. Although the bright white colour and LED on it do make it really obvious at night it's there.

Back
Top Bottom