Road Cycling

Soldato
Jesus it was cold this morning, 2 pairs of socks and winter boots (pre warmed on the shoe dryer) plus 2 baselayers! still took me a while to get comfy and hands were still not warm enough!

Couldn't find my head band so had to use a cap this morning. Now a question as if I use my headband when it's chilly - say 5c to keep my ears warm i get a sweaty head, but a cap doesn't cover your ears obviously. Does anyone have a lightweight headband they could recommend just to keep my ears a little warmer! @Roady you have clothes for every occasion so this question might be for you :p

Soldato
Jesus it was cold this morning, 2 pairs of socks and winter boots (pre warmed on the shoe dryer) plus 2 baselayers! still took me a while to get comfy and hands were still not warm enough!

Couldn't find my head band so had to use a cap this morning. Now a question as if I use my headband when it's chilly - say 5c to keep my ears warm i get a sweaty head, but a cap doesn't cover your ears obviously. Does anyone have a lightweight headband they could recommend just to keep my ears a little warmer! @Roady you have clothes for every occasion so this question might be for you :p

How about some kind of buff/neck gaiter? Really thin but should keep your ears warm enough. Handy to cover your mouth too for other times (obviously can't do both together!)

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product...J95m1IO-nqhOKzBI_ZtBoCtagQAvD_BwE#sku-hst1129

Soldato
I have buffs already and have the Rapha merino base layers with the long neck, there's too much material to go over my ears.

Took a buff out last night and it did the trick. Though I just took delivery of one of those rapha base layers with the long neck this morning and trying it on, it felt nice. Looking forward to heading out for a ride with that. Have to say, other than being a bit of a faff when it comes to putting my helmet on, I'm very grateful for my afro now it's getting colder. My head is well insulated :p

Decided that I'm going to give it a miss trying to join a club just yet. Want to make sure I'm somewhat competent at cycling longer distances first. Going to try a 40 mile route on Saturday. The first 20 miles are a bit hilly then the returning 20 are basically flat.

Ultimately I want to get to a point where I can do 50-60 miles cycling without worrying too much by next summer. It's quite fun how quickly I feel like I am progressing though so I feel by the time summer comes and I would've been riding (properly) for a year these longer rides I have my eyes on will be easier faster.

Soldato
Took a buff out last night and it did the trick. Though I just took delivery of one of those rapha base layers with the long neck this morning and trying it on, it felt nice. Looking forward to heading out for a ride with that. Have to say, other than being a bit of a faff when it comes to putting my helmet on, I'm very grateful for my afro now it's getting colder. My head is well insulated :p

Decided that I'm going to give it a miss trying to join a club just yet. Want to make sure I'm somewhat competent at cycling longer distances first. Going to try a 40 mile route on Saturday. The first 20 miles are a bit hilly then the returning 20 are basically flat.

Ultimately I want to get to a point where I can do 50-60 miles cycling without worrying too much by next summer. It's quite fun how quickly I feel like I am progressing though so I feel by the time summer comes and I would've been riding (properly) for a year these longer rides I have my eyes on will be easier faster.
Good luck with the 40 miler :)
Looks blinkin freezin at the weekend so will set the trainer up I think.
Missing those lovely summer rides for sure. I spent a week touring around Anglesey, Newborough Beach end of August, ahhhh ....
jOdoYia.png

Soldato
Thanks @turbot1984 it's rookie numbers to what a lot in here are doing but working towards ticking of the 50miler! The way I'm looking at it is that if we crush (and struggle) through the Winter we'll be in tip-top shape for when summer comes.... that's how it works, right? Or am i just lying to myself :p

Soldato
Thanks @turbot1984 it's rookie numbers to what a lot in here are doing but working towards ticking of the 50miler! The way I'm looking at it is that if we crush (and struggle) through the Winter we'll be in tip-top shape for when summer comes.... that's how it works, right? Or am i just lying to myself :p
No you are quite right, having a long lay-off is a killer and once you have got the legs for the big miles, well, its just easier :)
I used to do 60-80 milers regularly but now bimble along on sub-30's. Still love it though.

Soldato
Anyone spot any deals on bare frames let me know - generally after something steel/alloy probably rim brake to use on the turbo. Mine has a crack at the seat/headtube junction and although looks like Giant will replace under warranty (Giant Defy 2015) they want to supply a Contend (at a guess the alloy one). I'm seeing if LBS will let me change size of the replacement so can use it for the other half, or even if they will let me 'upgrade' to another model. Will be amazing if they say I can maybe pay the difference and pick up a bare frame for a TCR Advanced, but we'll see...

Also anyone spotting a BF deal on an AppleTV let me know. Need to grab one to set a friend up on Zwift and quite fancy trying it myself first to figure out if that's what I do or start to put a PC together when I can find a GPU.

Also need some kind of external Wifi extender for my mate to use, his turbo will be in a shed/garage and his Wifi doesn't reach. Can see TP-Link do one so that's the current thought, just drill a hole through and mount to exterior wall...

https://www.crudproducts.com/roadracer-mk3/

I've used these in the past and I prefer them to the SKS Raceblades I have on the winter bike now.
Good shout, have seen a few people use these recently and they seem to fit well. Much better than the earlier v1's I tried for one winter probably 6-7 years ago which would barely stretch over a 25mm tyre and just broke/wore out after a couple of months. Can be a bit noisy at times but then again the Raceblade wasn't exactly silent. I still like the Raceblade Longs/XL and have them fitted to the other halfs commuter. They've taken a beating but into their 4 or 5th winter. I've got another set sat on the shelf and 2 old pairs of my own for parts.

Somebody needs to make some proper quick pop release mudguards that go into the proper mounts like oms Im swapping between gravel and road wheels and being able to pop something on off that you know is solid and fitted to your wheels/tyres would be brilliant, plus they'd actually cover the back wheel so you're not told to sit at the back on a club run.
The Raceblade XL's my other half has have a long flap at the back, pretty close to the complete coverage you get from a full guard. Although hers are fitted to the QR adaptors, I've fitted them before (on mine) to proper mounting points not an issue.

Are any of you in cycling clubs? How do you go about finding them (I don't use facebook) and how friendly do they tend to be especially to someone who is less than a beginner? Bit annoyed as during the summer my friends who convinced me to upgrade from my fixie to a road bike reassured me that they'd be cycling through the winter so I took a bit of my purchase based on that. We're barely into Autumn and they're already finding excuses! I've enjoyed the few solo cycles I've done but think I'd enjoy it much more cycling with others. Though my worry is I'd be dreadful compared to them and I don't want to hold anyone back from a good ride!
As mentioned look through BC clubs, but also a trawl around Facebook. Another good shout can be a local bike shop - ask them what clubs around are best for a beginner looking for social rides. Another shout can be to look at local Strava segments on roads you enjoy riding that you see other riders on. The popular cycling routes. Filter by this year/last and look for riders names popping up in various places. If you're seeing the same riders they're very likely local to you and if looking for riders only marginally quicker than you on said segments they will be similar ability. Look at their profiles (if public) and see if they log group rides on the weekends or what Strava groups they're in for some local club names. Then google/facebook the club to see if you can get an idea of the rides they do, distances and abilities.

Does anyone have recommendations for gloves? Ideally something suitable for a 5-12c ish temp range. Have some cheap Bontrager windproof ones at the moment but the temp range I find them usable is really small.
Anything windproof really, but interesting on how poor you find the bontrager, as I would expect them to be pretty good. They too warm, or too cold in that temp range? I can be quite specific to you as a rider what your hands need. I'm quite lucky as don't suffer with sweaty hands, so can wrap them up. I also don't suffer too bad with cold hands, but hot hands is pretty uncomfortable, but then I'll happily strip them off and ride gloveless the very few times that happens per year.

If you suffer with cold hands then some really good neoprene ones will work wonders, but you can get clammy hands in them easily. I tend to go for a thicker thermal glove and find a bit of breathability works best for me. My deep winter glove is a Sportful 'Sotto Zero' and I will wear them in the -15 to 3-4 degree temp range. I find them too warm over that, they're also not great in the wet as tend to get sodden. The Fiandre/NoRain version is meant to be better in the wet - but I'm not the sort of person to own multiple pairs of gloves costing £50+! My go-to this time of year is more similar to Sportful 'Essential windstopper' - although the current ones seem thicker than mine and are probably double the price I would pay.

I wear Sportful gloves as they fit me better than Castelli and are a little bit cheaper. My other half actually wears snowboarding gloves this time of year, mobility must be terrible in them but she bought some expensive leather ones and says they're great. She suffers with cold hands.

Yeah bitter cold wind here Tuesday and again today. Ambient is 2-3 but the windchill is -2 or -3. No ice around, but car windscreens and such frozen from it.

I did do headbands a few years back, DHB do one which is windproof but I found that just meant I sweated a bunch under it, as it had no absorption. It also had horrible cut vent holes over the ears, which although worked meant you got a bunch of wind noise from them. I'm a hat wearer now. Almost any time of year. My go-to is again DHB 'windslam' and they seem to revamp them every year or two. I have one which doesn't cover ears (great), one which does and is too tight, then 2 which do and are good - including the current one in their range. You might find the top of head bit quite sweaty coming from just bands. I do sweat in them, but with very little hair on top have no 'natural insulation' so for me it's a small price to pay to be warm. Normal cotton caps don't keep the wind off, but when the wind is this cold, I will sometimes wear a scullcap under a normal cotton cap to get more insulation on top, then strip off the scull cap later when I'm warmed up. It's warmer than the DHB caps. I do also have thicker 'winter' hats I will wear but not until things are below zero.

Neck buffs are superb, I wear one almost all year round when setting out in the morning. Autumn/Winter/Spring will wear all the way around. I actually pull them up over the rear of my head, over my cap, under helmet rear stap to hold it, then down over ears and cheeks under my nose. Can pull the front to adjust over mouth/chin/ears up and down as I ride without it popping down at the back. Do sweat in them, but I'm a rider that feels the cold on my face/neck/head so prefer to overheat there. Stopping the wind is key for me. I probably have 20+ buffs and will match/colour code them to kits I'm wearing. Have a couple with reflective bits in them, some of them thermal and multiple layers for the really cold (use them snowboarding) and even a (you guessed it) DHB windslam one. But wouldn't recommend, it's not a great fit, or very functional outside of the -10 commutes.

If you find a club that does weekend social rides and is generally quite 'older rider' based then you'll be fine. Local one to me 'Hereford Wheelers' do a club ride on saturdays I actually skip as it's too slow and too long for me... 12-13mph avg and 50-60 miles. It can sometimes take all day as you really don't know where you're going until you get there with the old 70+ y/o ride leader lol :cry:

Good luck with the 40 miler :)
Looks blinkin freezin at the weekend so will set the trainer up I think.
Missing those lovely summer rides for sure. I spent a week touring around Anglesey, Newborough Beach end of August, ahhhh ....
jOdoYia.png
Great picture, is that a Diverge? Or a Crux?

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone spot any deals on bare frames let me know - generally after something steel/alloy probably rim brake to use on the turbo. Mine has a crack at the seat/headtube junction and although looks like Giant will replace under warranty (Giant Defy 2015) they want to supply a Contend (at a guess the alloy one). I'm seeing if LBS will let me change size of the replacement so can use it for the other half, or even if they will let me 'upgrade' to another model. Will be amazing if they say I can maybe pay the difference and pick up a bare frame for a TCR Advanced, but we'll see...

Also anyone spotting a BF deal on an AppleTV let me know. Need to grab one to set a friend up on Zwift and quite fancy trying it myself first to figure out if that's what I do or start to put a PC together when I can find a GPU.

https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-malt-g2x-gravel-frameset-197832.html is £389 before using reward points, but you might think it's worth spending £599 for a complete bike https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-malt-g2-claris-gravel-bike-2021-197226.html

https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/frames/road-bike-frames?sort=price-asc has a couple of framesets on promo, but the London Road is currently OOS.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/apple-tv4k-3833112 £99, 2017 edition

Soldato
Great picture, is that a Diverge? Or a Crux?[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Its a great place :)
Diverge Sport which I have had for a couple of years now. Road bike rarely gets a look in these days as gravel is the go-to bike.

Soldato
Steve you're a legend, fantastic price on the AppleTV and exactly what I was after! Ordered 2 as a friend wants me to sort a Zwift setup for him... Have been figuring out an external WiFi AP to mount so he can get signal out to his shed... Also need to service his Neo for him to see if it's a bearing or just a simple o-ring fix.

Getting someone else on board, hopefully just an ANT/BT problem I can solve. He's been trying to get a Tacx Flow Smart working with Zwift on an iPad. I think the problem is the Flow is ANT only and obviously the iPad isn't...

I'm turning into quite a Zwift-setup-upper! Not sure if I like that or not lol

Diverge Sport which I have had for a couple of years now. Road bike rarely gets a look in these days as gravel is the go-to bike.
Haha yeah I'm a Diverge rider too (2016 Carbon Comp), but very much use mine as a glorified road bike. Full guards over 32mm tyres and road gearing. It's a weapon and so good at what it does I've had a constant battle (probably into the 4th or 5th season) of if I actually need a lighter, more aero, faster, road specific bike... :rolleyes:

Soldato
Boardman has proper hydraulic brakes, the Decathlon has "hybrid" hydraulics, a mish-mash of hydraulic and cable.

GRX is the latest Shimano groupset for gravel/adventure riding, Decathlon (unless a new model has replaced the one I'm thinking of) uses 105 700 and is horribly let down by skimping on the brakes, which will cost you ~£325 to buy yourself (but would have made whole bike ~£950 if supplied with them).

British Cycling membership starts from £25 a year https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/membership and gives 10% off cycling gear at Halfords.

Just an update, 14 months on! :D

Just bought one of these, looks a good spec for the (Black Friday) price of £1000, down from an RRP of £1500:

https://www.merlincycles.com/wilier-jareen-grx-gravel-bike-190123.html

Soldato
Finally got round to learning how to change my chain. Old one still passed the chain test, but at 1,900 miles I've swapped it out anyway, in an attempt to lengthen the life of the cassette and chainring.

Also (as you may have seen in the images of new items thread) found a very well prices Bike Box Alan -

x4iwW4A.jpg

I got him down to £210, so I'd even take it in bright pink at that price! Oh wait...

Watching a 'how to pack BBA' video, I noticed he said 'if you've got electronic gears, you'll need to remove your battery'. What?! I'm not sure I could! Is this necessary?

Right now I'm trying to find the motivation to get some indoor training done :(

Soldato
Much like @Roady said, these gravel bikes are surprisingly good and open up a world of light tracks you can't manage on a road bike. Had the odd spill clipped in and with drop bars, but on 32c slicks not knobblies, so great on the black stuff. :)

Soldato
Very nice! Reckon you will have some fun on that. Great to see discounts are back too :)

Thanks, yeh, hope to be riding it lots when the weather improves!

I hope the bike comes with a manual, the last time I had a bike with drop handles, indexed gears hadn't been invented (certainly not available in the UK)!

It had 2 x 10 gearing, operated by two levers on the downtube, still, I used to get around well enough on it ;)

I'll have to look up youtube on how to operate these gear levers!

Soldato
Much like @Roady said, these gravel bikes are surprisingly good and open up a world of light tracks you can't manage on a road bike. Had the odd spill clipped in and with drop bars, but on 32c slicks not knobblies, so great on the black stuff. :)

Absolutely, I've been riding mountain bikes for the better part of twenty years, but now my biking is done on gravel paths, canal towpaths and pavement, so looking forward to having a lighter and \9hopefully) faster bike.

Yeh, I don't do clip-ins, prefer a flat pedal and a toe clip, usually minus the straps, but I've bought a pair of these for my new bike, and will try the straps to see how I get on.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01BE1YZT0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Soldato
Steve you're a legend, fantastic price on the AppleTV and exactly what I was after! Ordered 2 as a friend wants me to sort a Zwift setup for him... Have been figuring out an external WiFi AP to mount so he can get signal out to his shed...

No probs Haydn. Apparently the newer generation Apple TVs aren't using tech that is that much newer then the 2017 versions and IIRC DC Rainmaker reckoned the newer version had no Zwift benefits at the time of making his review vid.

Just an update, 14 months on! :D

Just bought one of these, looks a good spec for the (Black Friday) price of £1000, down from an RRP of £1500:

https://www.merlincycles.com/wilier-jareen-grx-gravel-bike-190123.html

Nice deal, Merlin seem to be the best bike Black Friday site this year, enjoy!

Soldato
Finally got round to learning how to change my chain. Old one still passed the chain test, but at 1,900 miles I've swapped it out anyway, in an attempt to lengthen the life of the cassette and chainring.

Also (as you may have seen in the images of new items thread) found a very well prices Bike Box Alan -

I got him down to £210, so I'd even take it in bright pink at that price! Oh wait...

Watching a 'how to pack BBA' video, I noticed he said 'if you've got electronic gears, you'll need to remove your battery'. What?! I'm not sure I could! Is this necessary?

Right now I'm trying to find the motivation to get some indoor training done :(

Bargain! I've never bothered removing my battery, sits in my seat tube so usually disconnect it. Which id advise doing so you'd not turn up with dead derailleurs if a lever gets caught.

Was out this morning for a couple of hours. Winter boots, 2 pairs of socks, 2 pairs of bibs, 2 base layers, 1 Jersey, 1 shakedry, 2 pairs of gloves and a buff for my head. Still got cold feet.....going to need to dig out the heated insoles!

Back
Top Bottom