The Tesla Thread

Soldato
Fit a weather proof box around one that you find less suitable, plenty of people have done it, and I would have done it with the Ohme but I can see it from any obvious angle so there was no need. The other bonus is you can buy a lockable one if you want, no so much that people can't use it but it won't be long before the thieves are out stealing them. :(

My charger will be located on the middle pillar of a double garage, it’s very prominent and there is literally nowhere to hide.

I looked at the Ohme and others inc the Tesla wall box and they just don’t deal with the cable very well at all. Anderson has the approach nailed but its just £lol for what it is really.

The Easee isn’t tethered so it got immediately discounted.

Soldato
Hence the suggestion of the box.

I know but I think a box would stand out even more than just the charger as it would be a similarly noticeable box on the wall, just larger.

That's kind of the Anderson approach but obviously its all sleek and integrated. It would be much more compact and integrated solution compared to trying to put something else round another charger.

Soldato
I know but I think a box would stand out even more than just the charger as it would be a similarly noticeable box on the wall, just larger.

That's kind of the Anderson approach but obviously its all sleek and integrated. It would be much more compact and integrated solution compared to trying to put something else round another charger.

Yeah I see where you are coming from, however some of the IP65 rated boxes you can buy vinyl stickon covers for, patterned like bricks etc. so they blend it almost totally and can't be seen. I did it with my old metre boxes at the old property since they were huge white things that looked awful, and they were right on the front.

Soldato
I've got the QUBEV: https://evonestop.co.uk/collections...harging-unit-type-2-socket-32-amp-7-2-kw-ip65. £225 at the moment, had no problems in almost 3 years.

Don't see the point in anything smart when you can do so much through the app etc anyway. And mine's installed on the front of my terraced house and being untethered it's pretty non-discreet anyway. I even took the label off the front so it's just plain; in fact the whole front panel comes off and you could wrap or paint it very easily.

Spend the money on kW instead! Those of you dropping £1000s on an Anderson have literally paid more than I'll probably spend publicly charging for the life of the vehicle.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

My charger will be located on the middle pillar of a double garage, it’s very prominent and there is literally nowhere to hide.

I looked at the Ohme and others inc the Tesla wall box and they just don’t deal with the cable very well at all. Anderson has the approach nailed but its just £lol for what it is really.

The Easee isn’t tethered so it got immediately discounted.
You can lock the cable in and make it tethered. It’s literally the best small charger out there, but no one seems bothered by them. Weird.

Anyway… has anyone got the latest software update? What’s remote sentry mode like?

Soldato
That's fine but the charger doesn't deal with the cable which is what makes the Anderson and to a lesser extent the Hypervolt far more attractive options for me. :)

Associate
Mrs got the text for collection. When we ordered it we were given an estimate of late Feb/early March.

Ordered 6th Nov. Collecting Dec 18th, six week turnaround, pretty impressive!

The rush is on to get our garage build finished!

Soldato
I'm picking mine up on Sunday. How much of a Ballachulish I'd it charging off a 3 pin plug bearing in mind my commute is a total of 32 miles? There's talk about having electric charge points fitted at work, so I'm wondering whether to bother having one at home.

Soldato
Mrs got the text for collection. When we ordered it we were given an estimate of late Feb/early March.

Nice! Looks like you fell lucky and they were able to allocate you / your wife one from newly delivered stock or, possibly, on a ship due to dock in the second week of December (but seems likely the former given your collection date)

Soldato
I'm picking mine up on Sunday. How much of a Ballachulish I'd it charging off a 3 pin plug bearing in mind my commute is a total of 32 miles? There's talk about having electric charge points fitted at work, so I'm wondering whether to bother having one at home.

My wife's hybrid (total electric range of 35 ish miles) takes for ever on a 3pin charge.

I wouldn't fancy (even with a charger at work) not having the option to charge at home with a faster charger

Soldato

I don’t know why you wouldn’t get one while there is a ‘free’ £350 towards it. That ends in March so delaying will just cost you in the long run.

Nice, which one did she get?

Associate
Nice! Looks like you fell lucky and they were able to allocate you / your wife one from newly delivered stock or, possibly, on a ship due to dock in the second week of December (but seems likely the former given your collection date)

Yeh we definitely got lucky! According to the Tesla Model 3 owners group on FB the 'Nabucco' ship delivered her stock to Southampton on Sunday. One of those red ones are ours! :D

442801-n.jpg

I don’t know why you wouldn’t get one while there is a ‘free’ £350 towards it. That ends in March so delaying will just cost you in the long run.

Nice, which one did she get?

We went for the Long Range in Red with Black/White interior.

Soldato
If i recall it charges on a three pin at around 7miles an hour so an overnight charge is going to keep on top of that commute. There are people who have run for a long time like that and although a proper charger is better in every way you can get by on the granny.

Soldato
Yeh we definitely got lucky! According to the Tesla Model 3 owners group on FB the 'Nabucco' ship delivered her stock to Southampton on Sunday. One of those red ones are ours! :D

442801-n.jpg

Yeah, I've been tracking her since she left Shanghai :D

She docked last Friday, unloaded UK stock then set off to Zeebrugge

Pretty sure yours is in that lot too as the next ship, Hyperion Ray isn't due in until 12th December.

Fascinating and interesting thread here

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/2021-shipping-movements.217602/page-276

Soldato

If you have a fast public charger nearby (pref Tesla) - or on your way out to do a longer journey, like your nearest service station - then I'd say it wouldn't be an issue at all. I have one installed at home but I've used it like 10 times in 2 years and I could have gotten away without doing that.

As someone said 12 hours overnight will give you ~26kW which would be plenty to cover your commute. Do you have a driveway?

Soldato
If you have a fast public charger nearby (pref Tesla) - or on your way out to do a longer journey, like your nearest service station - then I'd say it wouldn't be an issue at all. I have one installed at home but I've used it like 10 times in 2 years and I could have gotten away without doing that.

As someone said 12 hours overnight will give you ~26kW which would be plenty to cover your commute. Do you have a driveway?
Oh yea it's all offroad parking, just thinking is there much point in apendjng money on a charger, it'll get a good 12-13 hours charge before i go to work so should be plenty of range.

Soldato
Oh yea it's all offroad parking, just thinking is there much point in apendjng money on a charger, it'll get a good 12-13 hours charge before i go to work so should be plenty of range.

For me I’d be looking at it more long term, e.g. are those chargers at work always going to be available when everyone gets an EV? Probably not.

What happens when you are on holiday? How is it going to work if you have two fairly high mileage days in a row and you can’t recover enough charge overnight.

The price of getting one put in is only going to go in one direction which is up and the grant for getting one put in is going away. For March it will cost £900 instead of £650 for a fairly high end point.

Having just spent £42k+ on a car, it seems silly not to spend that £650 to get a proper point installed to get the most out of it.

Do you have more than one car? Would that be replaced with an EV in the next few years and could your current set up handle 2x 13A draws at the same time?

Back
Top Bottom