Dashcams!

Associate
So forgive the lazy post but I'm after a hardwired dashcam for my car but I don't have a clue what to get. I want something good, budget it open to suggestions, if it's worth he money I'll consider it.

What are the recommendations?
I have the Viofo A129Pro dual. Nearly £200 front and rear, hardwired.
I consider these an investment.
No2 son has had 2 accidents, neither at fault, and resolved as soon as the insurance companies viewed the footage.
I did have front and rear Koonlung K1s but always had problems with the recording stopping and starting. The unit was very SD card fussy and even had issues with the good cards.

Underboss
well, i think it really depends on which one you go to i suppose

not had a cam installed, but my mum went to Halfords for a new battery , and an uprated one, and they where very good there

im going to be getting my new camera installed from them when i get a new car because the camera is same price everywhere, Plus halfords charge £55 to install it front and back

i know there is a place that does dashcam installs, revering camera, new head units etc and they charge about £100 and hour, 2 hours to fit front + Rear so £200

Associate
Halfords dashcam install service, are they terrible?

I think Halfords will only install the dashcam if you buy from them. I had bought my own dashcam for much cheaper than Halfords offered and enquired if they could install it and went nope unless bought from them.

In the end I found a professional mobile dash cam installer in my area for a decent price, they came to my house and they did a fantastic job for both the front and rear install.

Associate
I've got a Nextbase 522GW+ hardwired into my Skoda Octavia. The dashcam itself seems fine.

When I wire it to a permanent live it drains my battery a little too much, the car starts but it feels a bit touch and go. So at the moment, it's wired into a non-permanent live which removes the peace of mind when parking up, even if it's for a limited time, and it's also annoying as the cam has to boot up after each engine stop/start at traffic lights etc, until it's charged up a bit.

So, does such a thing exist as a device that would go between my dashcam and my car that will cut off the battery at a higher voltage than 11v, which is what I believe the 522GW does.

Cheers :)

Caporegime
I've got a Nextbase 522GW+ hardwired into my Skoda Octavia. The dashcam itself seems fine.

When I wire it to a permanent live it drains my battery a little too much, the car starts but it feels a bit touch and go. So at the moment, it's wired into a non-permanent live which removes the peace of mind when parking up, even if it's for a limited time, and it's also annoying as the cam has to boot up after each engine stop/start at traffic lights etc, until it's charged up a bit.

So, does such a thing exist as a device that would go between my dashcam and my car that will cut off the battery at a higher voltage than 11v, which is what I believe the 522GW does.

No but you can just by a battery park for parking mode.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BlackVue-B...15&hvtargid=pla-328611848324&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

Have the battery pack hard wired to a non permanent live so it re charges while driving and the dashcam powered from the battery pack.

The Blackvue is highly rated but there are others available.

https://www.ridester.com/dash-cam-battery-pack/

Underboss

ive answered this so many times, but here it is again (short version)

Get a battery pack, like a Cellink B / Neo

i have the Neo 9

https://www.blackvue.com.sg/cellink-b-battery.html

Soldato

It's supposed to be wired to a switched live not a permanent 12v. The internal battery is what it uses for parking mode when the cars turned off (You have to select parking mode on in the settings).

I've just replaced the batteries in the two GW522s we have as one was no longer holding charge. Pretty easy to do if you can use a soldering iron and they were only £6 each from the Chinese site.

Caporegime
It's supposed to be wired to a switched live not a permanent 12v. The internal battery is what it uses for parking mode when the cars turned off (You have to select parking mode on in the settings).

I've just replaced the batteries in the two GW522s we have as one was no longer holding charge. Pretty easy to do if you can use a soldering iron and they were only £6 each from the Chinese site.

Not true. It even says on their website that the hard wire kit has build in monitoring and will switch off the dashcam once the car battery drops to 11.2V. The internal battery is just so it doesnt lose its settings. Its only 6 mins maximum, less the longer its parked. If you are relying on the internal battery for your parking mode then chances are you will miss whatever happened. .

Soldato
Not true. It even says on their website that the hard wire kit has build in monitoring and will switch off the dashcam once the car battery drops to 11.2V. The internal battery is just so it doesnt lose its settings. Its only 6 mins maximum, less the longer its parked. If you are relying on the internal battery for your parking mode then chances are you will miss whatever happened. .

If you read the instructions again (page 9 and 10) it's says several times to only fit it to a switched supply for normal use and to only use a permanent supply for surveillance purposes. That's the reason it has an auto shutdown and a parking mode. The parking mode only records for 30 seconds once activated and not triggered again and the internal battery when in good condition is good for 12-15 minutes use so has plenty of power for what it's intended for.

Back
Top Bottom