Tabletop Warhammer?

Soldato
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

I found using a wet pallet incredibly helpful for thinning paints.

I started using a wet pallet for this guy, bog standward Army Painter.

hUiyMRL.jpg

You can see I had a problem making the paint a bit too thin sometimes.

Re the watering down paints, I try to use Vallejo acrylic thinner (something like £8 for 200ml*), it thins it down much like water but without affecting the adhesion anything like as much.

I bought some thinner ages ago, when I 1st tried to get back into painting.
I've been using "Tamiya Color Acrylic Paint Thinner X-20A" rather then water on this model, are all thinners created equel?

With the final highlights, I tried using "Winston & Newton Acrylic Flow Improver" but I can't say I noticed any difference in how the paint handled.

Soldato
For reference, I use £10 for 10 synthetic brushes, a home made wet palette, exclusively GW paints and water as a thinner. I’ve used Artis Opus brushes in the past, but will always say any brush that holds a point is fine for a non-competitive painter.

Soldato
Well decided to try this and it's amazing. Brilliant light and now I don't have to faff around taking my glasses off. Got a lot of holidays booked, 3 day weeks until I get off for Christmas on the 17th December :) plenty of Hobby time /cough I mean family time

Soldato
I was starting to get fatigued very quickly taking my glasses off all the time to paint the finer details. I spent quite a bit of time and money runing around getting new glasses and trying contacts. should have just purchased this in the first placed.

Soldato
Wouldn’t mind getting something like this in the future when I have a dedicated hobby space - not that my eye sight is going yet, but I can see the benefits regardless!

what’s everyone working on at the moment? Still plugging away at my Storm Speeder currently :(

Soldato
Well decided to try this and it's amazing. Brilliant light and now I don't have to faff around taking my glasses off. Got a lot of holidays booked, 3 day weeks until I get off for Christmas on the 17th December :) plenty of Hobby time /cough I mean family time

How much did that beasty cost?, is a plug provided?

Soldato
How much did that beasty cost?, is a plug provided?
£135. They start from £105 for the 5inc lens. This is the 7inc.

It has a proper plug which connects into an AC connection on the lamp.

It's completely put the enjoyment back into the hobby for me. I just never knew how much my glasses were affecting my close up vison.

It puts out quite a large area of light also which is dimmable. So killed two birds with one stone

Commissario
A good (preferably daylight) lamp is a must for any painting area, we've got a few of those but with fluorescent tubes dotted around the house/garage, as well as a trio of "daylight company" LED task lamps.
I didn't get on with the magnifier though, but that's mainly because I need to wear glasses for general use anyway so it doesn't seem to make much difference at the detail level I go for.

I've just been tidying up our hobby area ready to put up shelving and a desk for wash and cure station*, and in the process I've found some of the many unopened boxes of 40k sets (Forgebane, and something with Eldar and someone else), and realised I've got at least 3 unassembled 40k Knights from the Renegade boxes.

*The plan is to replace a Billy and a tiny desk (that the printer sits on) with a set of twinslot shelving that'll anchor a length of worktop (with heavy duty legs) that the 3d printer, wash station and curing station can all sit on.

Associate
Been working on a big boi chaos knight. I enjoy painting knights, they are always quicker and easier then I expect. Also got a bunch of baby knights to get done for a Wardog spam list.

AbAD1Vr.jpg

Soldato
That’s looking fantastic, can’t wait to see it finished! I’ve only ever painted one knight, and whilst it was enjoyable, the length of time has put me off doing another! The build time alone is long.

I’ve managed to finish off my Indomitus Bladeguard, minus the shoulder markings. Just need to base them and they’re sorted.

Soldato
£135. They start from £105 for the 5inc lens. This is the 7inc.

It has a proper plug which connects into an AC connection on the lamp.

It's completely put the enjoyment back into the hobby for me. I just never knew how much my glasses were affecting my close up vison.

It puts out quite a large area of light also which is dimmable. So killed two birds with one stone

Where from?

Soldato
Bladeguard Ancient and Chaplain painted from the Indomitus boxset. Besides a small bit of drybrushing, these two (along with my earlier Bladeguard) were all painted with a size 2 cheapo synthetic brush for extra challenge :p

Back
Top Bottom