8 PACK MEMORY RANGE GROWING: SAY HELLO TO 8 PACK RIPPED EDITION & 32GB KITS!!!

Associate
hi there guys,

I wondered if you guys could give me some help. I brought 8Pack Edition 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C16 3600MHz the other day and been having problems running it at 3600Mhz. I have a 3900x, Gigabyte X570 Ultra motherboard, I think BIOS F33.

I bunged the memory in and set XMP and it appeared to be working. However when playing a game, I got a random CTD. So I tried DRAM calculator and entered the values manually;

3900x-3600mhz.jpg

I then did a memtest86 for 5 hours, after-which no errors.

So straight back into Windows, started a game and CTD, and then a blue-screen of death just after. I did try upping the SOC to v1.1 but didnt seem to have any affect.

So now ive set the memory to 3200Mhz, C14, 14, 14, 14, 28, v1.35. So far seem to be working.

To me it appears the memory is working fine at 3600Mhz but something else is causing a random crash (IF problem?). I did see the other day a WHEA error, I think something to do with processor or something.

I wondered if you guys have any advice? many thanks

Associate
@Roguey000 You would be really unlucky to have problems with a 1800 FCLK but I have heard of it before. Can you post a ZenTimings screenshot?
Well for some reason ZenTimings isnt wanting to run. The program starts then just disappears. Is there another program I can use to show you?

btw, so far, 3200 C14 isnt hasnt crashed... well, yet anyway :)

Associate
Well when checking I noticed a some programs had errors in the Windows event log.

So reluctantly I reinstalled Windows 10 today. After the reinstall, ZenTimings is now working... maybe things are little better? I havnt had much time to 'test' anything, as most of my time has been spent installing stuff (you know how it is).

After installing all the stuff (memory at 3200Mhz), I upped the memory to 3600 C16 (basically selected XMP). No crash of as yet.. yet (not sure if a reinstall will fix that - got my doubts). Anyway, how does this look? all advice is welcomed!

thank-you!

3900x-zentimings.jpg

[update: 5th Oct] Looks like the reinstalled must have worked, no signs of crashing yet and its been 5 days now. I guess Windows got something corrupted, which made the memory look like it wasnt working. Im wondering weather to try some higher memory/IF speeds now? or is it not really worth it on a 3900x?

Last edited:
Soldato
Good work :)
You could try upping frequency to 3800 and leaving timings as they are but increasing VDIMM from 1.35 to 1.5V. If it's stable, timings can be lowered, FCLK increased and voltages tweaked.

Tools to help

AIDA64 Cache & Memory benchmark
DRAM Calculator for Ryzen 1.7.3 by 1usmus
ZenTimings
TestMem5 v0.12 (best configs) - load Extreme1@anta777

When benchmarking, close all browser tabs and any programs and close everything you can in system tray. I only have Windows Security and Internet access open.

I've been on these settings with a 5800X for almost a year, daily use and not had a single crash

cXwuQiy.png

One thing I found to improve general Windows and gaming performance was keeping the latency as low as possible.

A latest run. Some of the memory read/write speeds are messed up on 5800X due to the BIOS. I should probably update my X570 to the latest BIOS but everything is perfectly stable

Qfgkh8w.png

Lots of useful information from MrPils. See pages ~47
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...ack-ripped-edition-32gb-kits.18885405/page-47

Last edited:

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Soldato
Think its worth me buying another 2 x 16GB kit? Very much doubt id be able to run the speeds what i'm doing now with all 4 slots filled

Soldato
What's more important to you... 8 pack DDR5 kit or kidney?
How come in the screenshots / benchmarks i've seen, the DDR5 kits have almost double the latency of good DDR4 kits that run 3600 / 3800?
Doesnt latency matter as much with DDR5 or something? :confused:

Associate
How come in the screenshots / benchmarks i've seen, the DDR5 kits have almost double the latency of good DDR4 kits that run 3600 / 3800?
Doesnt latency matter as much with DDR5 or something? :confused:

Not an expert but I think the CPU architecture/IPC means more than latency. If we take Zen 2 to Zen 3 sure the latency was slightly lowered but it was the IPC that showed the improvement. Then you had people with bleeding edge oc Zen 2 (high 50ns) lose to bog standard RAM Zen 3 (70ns).

When Zen 4 comes out with how AMD design chips, it will likely have even higher latency than Intel's current DDR5 implementation but the IPC improvement will completely mask that.

Soldato
Not an expert but I think the CPU architecture/IPC means more than latency. If we take Zen 2 to Zen 3 sure the latency was slightly lowered but it was the IPC that showed the improvement. Then you had people with bleeding edge oc Zen 2 (high 50ns) lose to bog standard RAM Zen 3 (70ns).

When Zen 4 comes out with how AMD design chips, it will likely have even higher latency than Intel's current DDR5 implementation but the IPC improvement will completely mask that.
Makes sense. By that theory then, something like DRAM calculator for Ryzen set on MEMbench mode easy DDR5 may complete in 50 seconds instead of DDR4s 100, even if the latency is double.
That would equate to games, programs and general desktop use being double the speed (despite the latency increase)

I can't find any benchmarks for DDR5 that show increased latency but tests completing faster. The only ones really are AIDA where read/write/copy is way higher along with latency being higher

Associate
Back
Top Bottom