• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** The Official Alder Lake owners thread ***

Soldato
ASUS have (IMO) the best BIOS, widest support via QVL for RAM, quick driver releases. Also extra features, such as the "SP" rating estimation for CPU quality. I am biased though, having used Asus since the P6T-Deluxe (x58), before this I used Abit, who dissapeared with the sands of time.

How's your gaming performance any better can't be worse surely .

Sgarrista
Commissario
ASUS have (IMO) the best BIOS, widest support via QVL for RAM, quick driver releases. Also extra features, such as the "SP" rating estimation for CPU quality. I am biased though, having used Asus since the P6T-Deluxe (x58), before this I used Abit, who dissapeared with the sands of time.

Going to agree,

Ive used asus over the last 20 years or so, the boards are just so much more stable and easier to use and manage in general. Tried gigabyte for my 5950x, truely unimpressed.

V F

V F

Soldato
Going to agree,

Ive used asus over the last 20 years or so, the boards are just so much more stable and easier to use and manage in general. Tried gigabyte for my 5950x, truely unimpressed.

I agree, I've never really had issues with Asus but what made you unimpressed with Gigabyte? I remember Gigabyte was all the rage from 2011 to 2017. When it comes top motherboards I always make sure to try and get middle top or top end.

Too many stories I've read over the past 20 years of people regretting they've went cheap on a board. Then Asrock came along and that to a degree was a long trend. That then followed some power issues.

Then of course there were lots of scary stories with MSI owners.

Associate
How about some MSI Motherboards,I never got the fascination with Asus Motherboards and I been buying them for 20 years.
I can tell you Asus is one of the only companies I sent a Motherboard back for RMA and they never responded to me again and no Motherboard in return.
Crap happens got an Asus Motherboard in front of me but it is not special in any way.

My crap cheapest MSI Motherboard

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
Quick update on Lightroom performance now that I have 64GB and have done a bunch of photoshoots.

LTqJiQC.jpg

Import, 1:1 generation and everything else flies for sure, my custom fan curves means the fans aren't whizzing up and down with each set of instructions sent to the CPU either, just a gradual ramp up to mid rpm then back down to idle rpm. Temps remain in the 60s during the ramped up states then back down to 28 or so.

Seems Lightroom makes ample use of RAM if you feed it! I've seen 27GB used by Photoshop alone just opening 3 short videos to export that don't total even a minute together. Crazy but nice to see RAM being utilised. 24GB utilised just importing and generating previews.

This whole system just feels so much more efficient than the 6700K and 32GB RAM I had before. Still on DDR4 3600MHz of course. What a brilliant and relatively cost effective upgrade for power and silent running efficiency. Props to Intel I have to say.

Soldato
I think there's too much concern about NOT getting DDR5 with Alder Lake just now. Sure it would be nice to move to the newer standard, but the performance is still there with DDR4 and there's savings to be made.
Most importantly, you can actually buy it. :D

Really hoping we see some B660 boards soon.

Soldato
DDR5 is getting better and better as people learn to tweak it and better kits come out

Even DDR5 6000 is not really showing real world benefit no matter what he is saying in this video, just look at the results it's hardly anything and in real world makes zero difference. So far even the really high speed stuff is not worth it too compared to DDR4 sensible kit. I would rather go HEDT and use more true platform memory channels to get better performance for memory intensive tasks. AMD Thredripper pro has 8 true 64bit channels (16 memory slots max), this Z690 platform is dual channel (4 memory slots max) and with memory that pretends to be 2 channel by halfing the 64bit to 2 x 32bit channels (yes I know more efficient use blaa blaa, really should have been 2 x 64bit, half baked really). Yes I know it's the DDR5 Spec the dual channel memory and nothing to do with Intel, I have a feeling DDR5 is going to be a fail and DDR6 will soon be out.

The way I see Alder Lake is a platform that should have just been DDR4, by the time DDR5 makes any real world difference you will be on a new platform anyways and by then it will probably be a platform with DDR6 as DDR6 work has already started and will probably be on the market in 2025 (3 years time) as can be seen in link below.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/samsung-developing-ddr6-gddr7-twice-as-fast/

Last edited:
Soldato
Problem is you can buy a MSI z690 and 4400 viper ddr4 for like £280 all in, will need at least 6200 ddr5 to compete with that and that costs more than the ddr4 combo just on its own.

Thinking of changing to Ddr4 just annoying it’s all built bar the Ddr5

Caporegime
I approve this message ^^^ :D

image.png

Associate
Hiya, I'm one of yours in a couple of days, I've just bought the "special offer" 10700KF OEM and a ROG Strix A ddr4 from a competitor (was out of stock on the overclokers store).
Gonna use my beloved 2x16gb B-die dual rank 3600 cl16.
Anyone has bought one of these 12700K OEM?
How are they running? Made in?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
Shout out to the peeps who took one for the team buying an 11th gen :D

Hiya, I'm one of yours in a couple of days, I've just bought the "special offer" 10700KF OEM and a ROG Strix A ddr4 from a competitor (was out of stock on the overclokers store).
Gonna use my beloved 2x16gb B-die dual rank 3600 cl16.
Anyone has bought one of these 12700K OEM?
How are they running? Made in?

I have no idea what you just said!

Associate

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
There's no difference between OEM and retail other than packaging. There's no heatsink included with retail K/KF now anyway. Asus' website doesn't really state you have to buy a retail CPU either. Can't see it being a problem at all as long as you have the mobo serial number and invoice as proof of purchase of cpu/mobo.

Back
Top Bottom