1080ti and kracken G12

Associate
HII

So i have a zotac reference 1080ti blower style card and i wanted to have a go at putting an AIO on there so when a offer near me for a kracken G12 and corsair H75 came up I had to get it

I have installed it as per instructions but im not impressed by it at all. My 1st attempt it was reaching 73c so i refitted the AIO and it was reaching the 83c throttle limit and throttling badly.

I then refitted it with a push pull config on the rad but it still throttles.

The pump is powered by molex, the g12 fan is powered by mini 4 pin adaptor to the gpu and its at stock speeds

I think its a fitment issue, someone has suggested a copper shim between the die and pump?

Can anyone help me out here?

Associate
What fans are you using? I put an H55 on my 2080ti using the g12. Temps were terrible at first, 70 or 80, I recall. This was using super silent Noctua airflow focused fans (I forget the model, but they were 1,000 rpm or so with very low static pressure).

I changed to Noctua A12x25s and the temp was about 30 degrees lower.

It could be fitment but I'd be surprised as the g12 generally just works with those asetek coolers.

Have you watched any videos on installation on the 1080 ti? I recall for the 2080 ti I had to use the amd brackets.

Associate
OP
I'm using the standard 92mm fan that came with the bracket and a 1500rpm standard fan on the rad. I did think about getting a high pressure one

I noticed on a video the other day that there should be 8 washers, 4 for the back of the card that the bracket mounts too and 4 for the spring thumb screws to mount the pump. I only had 4 so used them on the back of the card. I've sourced some more for the pump so kinda hoping that sorts the issue out. Maybe it wasn't putting enough pressure on the pump (although it did feel solid) with no movement

Associate
Have you double checked that you've used the correct mounting bracket on the GPU? It most likely only fits one set, but deffo worth checking. I recently fitted one of these to my Zotac 2080ti, had to use the AMD brackets and once I'd fitted I had to readjust the pump as I hadn't fully twisted it to lock into place.

I know this might be stupid, but it's worth noting that the thermal paste needs to be spread on a GPU and you can't just pop a blob in the middle like a CPU.

Associate
I'm using the standard 92mm fan that came with the bracket and a 1500rpm standard fan on the rad. I did think about getting a high pressure one

I noticed on a video the other day that there should be 8 washers, 4 for the back of the card that the bracket mounts too and 4 for the spring thumb screws to mount the pump. I only had 4 so used them on the back of the card. I've sourced some more for the pump so kinda hoping that sorts the issue out. Maybe it wasn't putting enough pressure on the pump (although it did feel solid) with no movement

What's the model of fan you're using on the radiator? I think I recall that these small corsair radiators are very high fpi, over 20, so static pressure is super important.

And as Dandaman says, triple check you've used the correct bracket.

Associate
OP
Oooo hang on - twist to lock?

My pump sits in the grooves of the g12 bracket and the the collar sits on the mating side and just clips in. I've just checked and can't see how you can twist to lock it?

Soldato
Easiest way to see if it fits fine is remove it and check the TIM spread for contact.

Twist to lock its not a very accurate description but I know what he means but you have done it right. Just make sure the teeth on the bracket slot into the holes on the pump.

First get a good high pressure fan for the radiator.
Second ditch the G12 fan and get a decent one, eg Noctua.

Finally I've fitted plenty of these to various cards and I always fit heatsinks to all the RAM chips and also the VRM too.

@Dandaman as stated the 2xxx cards use the AMD bracket but I think the 1xxx cards still used the Nvidia bracket.

However best thing is to check the spread pattern of the TIM as you can so easily not install it right.

Associate
OP
I've got some new paste as I ran out so will be trying again with the washers there. When I've taken it off previously the paste has looked OK but I will take pics if not successful and post on here see what you think.

As for the heatsinks are they absolutely necessary to start with? I also have 3x 1200rpm case fans under the card.

It's the initial sudden rise in temps that shocked me, like up to 80c in seconds. When viewing the history on afterburner the temp curve is so much more aggressive than when stock is fitted

Associate
I've got some new paste as I ran out so will be trying again with the washers there. When I've taken it off previously the paste has looked OK but I will take pics if not successful and post on here see what you think.

As for the heatsinks are they absolutely necessary to start with? I also have 3x 1200rpm case fans under the card.

It's the initial sudden rise in temps that shocked me, like up to 80c in seconds. When viewing the history on afterburner the temp curve is so much more aggressive than when stock is fitted

Oh of it's spiking like that, I'd definitely suspect the TIM.

Back
Top Bottom