• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone just given up on looking for a new GPU?

Associate
But the thing regarding the current environment is if you pay those scalper prices just once, that premium you paid will still be there when you will sell the card yourself after using it. I spent £1700 on my 3080 Ti and I am sure I can resell it at £1500 at least next year when the 4080 Ti launches. So effectively assuming a worst case scenario and street pricing of £2,500 for 4080 Ti, your current GPU already netted you over 50% of the price.

If you pay those scalper prices just once, then you're helping the current situation to continue. Happy I paid 649 quid for a 3080 FE.

Associate
But the thing regarding the current environment is if you pay those scalper prices just once, that premium you paid will still be there when you will sell the card yourself after using it. I spent £1700 on my 3080 Ti and I am sure I can resell it at £1500 at least next year when the 4080 Ti launches. So effectively assuming a worst case scenario and street pricing of £2,500 for 4080 Ti, your current GPU already netted you over 50% of the price.
Or you could wait a bit and pay RRP for a 3090 FE, and in a real bad scenario, only lose the natural depreciation of the card, not the fat margin applied at the moment.
Paying 2 or 3 times the RRP is simply madness, financially, unless you can make money with the card. Is a big gamble pay 3 times the RRP and expect the card to keep 80-90% of the inflated price.
Last year (Xmas time) I got a 3090, much more expensive than I'm comfortable/willing to spend, but was the only card at RRP. The price was similar or cheaper than scalped 3080s.
Paid £1300ish, sold mid this year at £1500ish, when I thought the market was going back to normal, as prices decreased a little (anyone remember the 6800XT hoovering under 900?), and I was willing to downsize to the GPU tier I was planning initially.
Seeing 3090 at 3K, very sad for those who rely only on PC for gaming. Not that everyone needs a 3090, but there isn't any bargains around.
Luckily (sorry keyboard/mouse players), I always used joysticks, don't usually play any games that require more precision, making a PS5 RRP a great choice.
The PC now, despite a not so poor RX6600, is only used few times per week.

Associate
Or you could wait a bit and pay RRP for a 3090 FE, and in a real bad scenario, only lose the natural depreciation of the card, not the fat margin applied at the moment.
Paying 2 or 3 times the RRP is simply madness, financially, unless you can make money with the card. Is a big gamble pay 3 times the RRP and expect the card to keep 80-90% of the inflated price.
Last year (Xmas time) I got a 3090, much more expensive than I'm comfortable/willing to spend, but was the only card at RRP. The price was similar or cheaper than scalped 3080s.
Paid £1300ish, sold mid this year at £1500ish, when I thought the market was going back to normal, as prices decreased a little (anyone remember the 6800XT hoovering under 900?), and I was willing to downsize to the GPU tier I was planning initially.
Seeing 3090 at 3K, very sad for those who rely only on PC for gaming. Not that everyone needs a 3090, but there isn't any bargains around.
Luckily (sorry keyboard/mouse players), I always used joysticks, don't usually play any games that require more precision, making a PS5 RRP a great choice.
The PC now, despite a not so poor RX6600, is only used few times per week.
But it’s not a gamble though. If you see Hardware Unboxed’s monthly pricing updates, prices continue to increase month on month so it’s virtually guaranteed that 90% of the inflated price will definitely be retained in 2022.

New fabs are coming online in 2023 so that’s when I expect the pricing to maybe drop but until then this situation will continue.

Associate
The only time it will come back down is when there are too many cards in the market that are easily available.
If cryto becomes non viable then it will happen quite quickly even in 2022.
Its not in the GPU manufacturers interest to sell the gamers at the minute because I still believe they are trying to keep the values high until the next version.
They are making heaps of cash now but they are poisioning the waters.

Soldato
Tbh, at this point I've given up months ago. We're already well over halfway through the generation....may as well wait for the next round of cards, where lower end models will offer a better upgrade for less money.

Associate
But it’s not a gamble though. If you see Hardware Unboxed’s monthly pricing updates, prices continue to increase month on month so it’s virtually guaranteed that 90% of the inflated price will definitely be retained in 2022.

New fabs are coming online in 2023 so that’s when I expect the pricing to maybe drop but until then this situation will continue.
True, but only if you don't plan to keep the card for too long, as eventually the whole portion of the inflated price will be wiped out.

Associate
Will be interesting so see what Intel can offer. They own their own fabs I believe. So if they can produce at scale offering a low and mid tier cards, they could clean up.

Associate
That's all we hope for. At the moment, unless someone is desperate, feels like being mugged paying those prices. Even the RX 6600 which was branded as not worth the £360 at release, now is at £420-430.
I can measure the disappointment of the PC gamer crew only looking this forum. Often, only newer members or the same dozen around. Feels like a lot of people are fed up with that and can't bother to spend more money and time.

Associate
I'm afraid we reached a price/performance plateau for now.
Unless there is either a manufacturing or optimisation breakthrough we're going to see marginal improvements for the same price point and increasing power requirements.

Soldato
I'm still running a 1070Ti and's doing just fine for me just now. What I do know is that if something ever goes wrong with it then I won't be buying a new GPU and I'll be out of PC gaming until the prices drop to a reasonable level if that ever happens.

Caporegime
I'm still running a 1070Ti and's doing just fine for me just now. What I do know is that if something ever goes wrong with it then I won't be buying a new GPU and I'll be out of PC gaming until the prices drop to a reasonable level if that ever happens.

Yeah man still a decent card that, make it last!!

Soldato
If you see Hardware Unboxed’s monthly pricing updates, prices continue to increase month on month
Pricing has remained essentially flat for the past six months according to HUB's research, and well below the peak from earlier in the year.

gpus87jgd.png

Associate
Tbh, at this point I've given up months ago. We're already well over halfway through the generation....may as well wait for the next round of cards, where lower end models will offer a better upgrade for less money.
Very unlikely. Its rumored that the RTX 4090 will be offering 2x the performance of the 3090 while the RTX 4070 will be equivalent to the 3090. Considering that the 2000 series and 1000 series GPUs are being sold above MSRP, the 4000 series may simply occupy the pricing slots of the 3000 series in terms of street pricing or if supply is tight, they could go over 2k.

True, but only if you don't plan to keep the card for too long, as eventually the whole portion of the inflated price will be wiped out.
True. If you plan on keeping the GPU for 3 years or so, its a bad deal. Personally I upgrade every generation so I don't see that I lost any money at all as situation in 2022 will be the same

Pricing has remained essentially flat for the past six months according to HUB's research, and well below the peak from earlier in the year.

gpus87jgd.png

There are still 5-10% increases over the past 2 months. Its not showing any signs of going down as supply at this moment is plentiful yet we are almost 100% over MSRP in this optimistic scenario.

Soldato
Very unlikely. Its rumored that the RTX 4090 will be offering 2x the performance of the 3090 while the RTX 4070 will be equivalent to the 3090. Considering that the 2000 series and 1000 series GPUs are being sold above MSRP, the 4000 series may simply occupy the pricing slots of the 3000 series in terms of street pricing or if supply is tight, they could go over 2k.

Better upgrade for less money is what I'm after, for a mid-range card.

I'm on a 2070 at the moment. 3070 is a bit pointless as an upgrade, but a 3080 FE would be a reasonably priced upgrade performance wise....IF you could buy them. AIB cards are not good value at all.

A 4070 is looking like the it'll be the next reasonable value upgrade for mid-range 20 series owners.

Associate
IF you could buy them.

You can. But as I've just said in another thread, you have to be able to be quick and you also have to be able to quickly select each picture with a boat. You also have to be able or allowed to use your phone, some workplaces frown upon this. Mine don't and are okay, but I was always helping fix someone's IT problem when previous drops landed. That or I'd unintentionally silenced the Telegram alert, that thing at the bottom of the page in Telegram is in a bad position if you just want to swipe it away, but leave it open on an Android. I have the navigation bar buttons not visible so swipe up to go to desktop but keep an app open. Missed 2 months of drops because of that. I just thought Telegram had messed up until I noticed 'unmute' at the bottom of the page.

Associate
True. If you plan on keeping the GPU for 3 years or so, its a bad deal. Personally I upgrade every generation so I don't see that I lost any money at all as situation in 2022 will be the same

That's the only way I was prepared to get a 3000 series card, because I had a 2080 to sell. That said, that cost me 638 quid in 2019, 2 and a half years ago. I've had good use out of it, it's been a great card. But spending bigger than I normally would back then has meant I can cash in on my old card now in this weird situation. And because I have something valuable to sell, it's going to be a very cheap upgrade.

I think my rule of thumb would be not to spend the same amount you could spend on a car, albeit an old one, on a GPU. That's just way too much money for a graphics card, I'd get another hobby before spending that amount. But I can also understand a lot of people just had the cash and wanted a card, if they have the disposable income it's theirs to do as they please with. It's just something I personally would not do.

Soldato
You can. But as I've just said in another thread, you have to be able to be quick and you also have to be able to quickly select each picture with a boat. You also have to be able or allowed to use your phone, some workplaces frown upon this. Mine don't and are okay, but I was always helping fix someone's IT problem when previous drops landed. That or I'd unintentionally silenced the Telegram alert, that thing at the bottom of the page in Telegram is in a bad position if you just want to swipe it away, but leave it open on an Android. I have the navigation bar buttons not visible so swipe up to go to desktop but keep an app open. Missed 2 months of drops because of that. I just thought Telegram had messed up until I noticed 'unmute' at the bottom of the page.

I went through that rigmarole for a few months and had a 3080 in my cart a couple of times but never managed it, bearing in mind I work from home and can typically click through within <10 seconds of a notification. Never managed it...then decided I had better things to do with my life, gave up and got a PS5 and Series X, which were trivially easy to acquire in comparison.

I wavered over a 3090 a few times when they were available....easily affordable for me personally, but just horrible value.

Back
Top Bottom