Bourbon, Rye and American Whiskey

Soldato
OP
Woodford Reserve £19.99 Amazon. Always thought WR is a little overrated personally, and prefer other bourbons, but for £20, couldn't say no.

Niiice.

I think with Woodford the quality can vary a little between bottle to bottle.

I have had some average (for woodford) but I do remember one in particular being really good.

Its good though, shows they are making it properly.

Bulleit is on for £18 also, that is a steal.

I have just ordered one of each.

Soldato
Niiice.

I think with Woodford the quality can vary a little between bottle to bottle.

I have had some average (for woodford) but I do remember one in particular being really good.

Its good though, shows they are making it properly.

Bulleit is on for £18 also, that is a steal.

I have just ordered one of each.

Yeah forgot to mention Bulleit as well, I ordered both to.

Soldato
WR is my go to bourbon for cocktails. Rittenhouse is much better but it’s now around £40 a bottle which is just too steep.
Picked up a bottle for £20.

Can't type for toffee
Don
Aye

Woodford:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001P4YYH0?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=pepperugc03-21&ascsubtag=2268062101

£18.99 with SnS!

Excuse the next one...
Not a bourbon but one I do like :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tin-Cup-Am...words=tin+cup&qid=1637919356&s=alcohol&sr=1-4

TinCup £22.75 SnS

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00452ZLQM?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=pepperugc03-21&ascsubtag=2268069755

Jim Beam Black £16.15

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bulleit-Bo...74&s=grocery&sprefix=bulle,grocery,169&sr=1-4

Bulleit £17.10 (18 quid in morissons I think)

A Number of the Wild Turkey offerings currently have a 15% off voucher on them as well on top of the SnS discount.
If theyre your thing then might be worth watching to see if Amazon drop the price of any of the WT's and leave the additional 15% off active.

Soldato
Thanks put in and order for that and Bullleit 10 year old as I've never had that before, is £33 normally expensive.

Should I be concerned that in about the space of a week I have spent approx £236 on Whiskey.......

Nah, good time to stock up really, I purchased the following in the last 2 days. The scotch is a present though.:D

Woodford
Bulleit
1776 small batch
Ledaig 18

Man of Honour
fESIxXu.jpg

Just ordered this. Couldn’t pass it up at £30 a bottle. I haven’t had a decent Sazerac (cocktail) since last time I was in New Orleans and this is a god excuse to give it a go again. I’ll be interested to see how it compares to my current favourite, Bulleit Rye, in other applications.

On the topic of other applications, what is the strongest spiciest rye out there for mixing with coke? Most cheap whiskey just doesn’t have the power I’m after and the good ones are too mellow for mixing.

Last edited:
Soldato
fESIxXu.jpg

Just ordered this. Couldn’t pass it up at £30 a bottle. I haven’t had a decent Sazerac (cocktail) since last time I was in New Orleans and this is a god excuse to give it a go again. I’ll be interested to see how it compares to my current favourite, Bulleit Rye, in other applications.

On the topic of other applications, what is the strongest spiciest rye out there for mixing with coke? Most cheap whiskey just doesn’t have the power I’m after and the good ones are too mellow for mixing.

Not a rye, but I used Knob Creek once for mixing, unsure if there is a rye. Personally though I didn't rate it on its own, but as a mixer I guess its fine as it is strong stuff.

What about Rittenhouse 100 proof, lovely neat as well.

Can't type for toffee
Don
yeah it was one of the bottles that lasted me the longest tbh, the better bottles tend to not get used as much haha

My annual no drink stint it almost over and I cant wait to get back into some of the bottles I've picked up :)

Can't type for toffee
Don
...snip...

I find a rye mixed with amaretto works well

I think the only whisky I do with coke/pepsi is Red Stag and JD tbh

Are you spefically after a rye? Or would a higher ABV bourbon do the trick?

Man of Honour
I find a rye mixed with amaretto works well

I think the only whisky I do with coke/pepsi is Red Stag and JD tbh

Are you spefically after a rye? Or would a higher ABV bourbon do the trick?
I’ve tried most of the bourbons and the best I’ve found for mixing is Jim Beam Double Oak or Jim Beam Black. I prefer a rye when mixed with coke as the stronger flavour makes it a more enjoyable long drink. Quite a few years ago I went through a bottle of Crown Royal Canadian which I remember paired well. I might give some of the other Canadian whiskeys a go. I hadn’t considered amaretto - I’ll give that a try.

Back
Top Bottom