Cash is only used by the poor or elderly

Man of Honour
Ever walked into a store and frustratingly waited while someone paid in cash?

While advocating neither cash nor card, (I use that which I feel like), frustration how?
Guy buys something for £19.75, hands over a £20 note, takes 25p change and walks out, where’s the frustrating wait?
Same deal but taps the card machine, waits a nanosecond for receipt, time taken roughly equal.

Associate
Most transactions will route through the same channels and will become 'pending' or 'approved' at point and time of purchase. In both instances the cash is treated as having been transferred so your scenario should not occur.

e: and for completeness I should add that if you don't have the funds then it'll obviously be 'declined'.
Now true, but I found very odd, about 15 years ago when the balance available in my account could be used numerous times, as long every incoming transaction was less than the available balance.
Bank was HSBC and I'm quite sure it was fixed ages ago, but sure it was odd.
Just to make clear, let's say the available funds was £100. I could use the debit card as many times as I wanted, as long none of the transactions were more than £100. And the cherry on the cake was that was possible to withdraw that balance before the pending transactions kicked in.

Associate
I mainly use card now that contactless is so easy. I do find that I’m always short on coins now though for drinks at work, car parks, etc.

Don’t see an issue of people use cash, takes a bit longer but not really an issue.

Associate
Lol.

Going by your stretch of imagination, then you'll get whacked with a withdrawal fee from every ATM after banks realise they cost too much to operate for the amount of use they get.

No because we are forcing cash out right? So no need for it? Card only? then we will get hit with charges.

Soldato
Explain why two hospitals in my area still not taking card for car parking? Its pay and display, Whereas the major hospital takes card and cash and payment at the machines on the way to the car.

Yet a town 5 miles away charges 30p for 2 hours and takes cards just in case you only have £1 coins.

Soldato
While advocating neither cash nor card, (I use that which I feel like), frustration how?
Guy buys something for £19.75, hands over a £20 note, takes 25p change and walks out, where’s the frustrating wait?
Same deal but taps the card machine, waits a nanosecond for receipt, time taken roughly equal.

I suspect he doesn't mean an easily roundable number. It's when something comes to £10.37 and the person neither has a 50p or a £1, so they're digging around for change. All the while the person who paid on card is halfway across the carpark by now.

Soldato
Sometimes contactless system goes down in shops. It maybe covering more than one shop chain. Happened to my work earlier this year. Even putting signs up and the cashiers verbally said cards are chip n pin only, some idiots still tried contactless:rolleyes:!

Then get customers who never carry their physical cards. So had to void or save transaction.

Soldato
What;s this thing with some people who just give notes, got a purse full of change. Shopping comes to £16.01, give you a £20 note. Ask them do they have 1p. Some customers say yes and give me one or 2p. Then some look into their purse and say no. Yet when I give the latter £3.99 in change, they give me a disgusted look. Well don't look at me like that if you CBA in giving me a 1p.

Then like yesterday, we had hardly any £5 notes. "have you got any fivers" when I gave them £7.40 in coins. If I could produce fivers from fresh air, I wouldn't need to work!

Soldato
I stuck £50k in cash at the bank, didn’t get a single question. You’ll be fine with £3k :p
Try taking out over £3k and see what you have to do!:mad:
Banks are quick enough to take your money but wanted to know the ins and outs of a ducks backside when taking it out
My dad wanted to take out £12k last year and had to practically threaten to close his account to get HIS money!
What did he want it for?
better use a card
etc,etc,etc.Took 2 trips and hours wasted during the pandemic
He now leaves the bare minimum in for bills/emergencys

Soldato
Banks are quick enough to take your money but wanted to know the ins and outs of a ducks backside when taking it out

To be fair... when are you more likely to be ripped off/robbed/conned? When someone is paying large sums in, or someone is taking large sums out? It makes sense it would be much harder taking money out. (Not justifying whatever silly processes they have in place, just syaing... :) )

Man of Honour
No because we are forcing cash out right? So no need for it? Card only? then we will get hit with charges.

You do realise businesses pay for handling and banking cash, don't you?

For example:

https://www.lloydsbank.com/business/retail-business/rates-and-charges.html

https://www.barclays.co.uk/business-banking/accounts/rates-and-charges/

This, as with card fees, is already factored in to the price you pay.

The only businesses that really value cash are those that have no intention of banking it or keeping a track of it, and those who wish to evade tax.

Associate
You do realise businesses pay for handling and banking cash, don't you?

For example:

https://www.lloydsbank.com/business/retail-business/rates-and-charges.html

https://www.barclays.co.uk/business-banking/accounts/rates-and-charges/

This, as with card fees, is already factored in to the price you pay.

The only businesses that really value cash are those that have no intention of banking it or keeping a track of it, and those who wish to evade tax.

My business account comes free and its only £3 up to 1k cash paid in after that its 0.3% I believe. Cheaper than taking cards.

Associate
Also ever had you business card cloned which you only ever use for fuel at garages??? 3 times happened to me each time a absolute nightmare to resolve.

I have never lost any cash :)

Man of Honour
What;s this thing with some people who just give notes, got a purse full of change. Shopping comes to £16.01, give you a £20 note. Ask them do they have 1p. Some customers say yes and give me one or 2p. Then some look into their purse and say no. Yet when I give the latter £3.99 in change, they give me a disgusted look. Well don't look at me like that if you CBA in giving me a 1p.

Then like yesterday, we had hardly any £5 notes. "have you got any fivers" when I gave them £7.40 in coins. If I could produce fivers from fresh air, I wouldn't need to work!

Have to agree about customers getting the zig with getting £5 in coins rather than a fiver, there were times when I drove a taxi that fivers seemed like gold dust, so if I got a £4.60 fare and the job gave me a tenner and said, “Take £5”, then I gave him back 5 one pound coins, he’d invariably say, “Ain’t you got a fiver?”
I wouldn’t say it, but I’d be thinking, ‘Do you think that in this job I WANT to part with my pound coins?’
On the subject of a £16.01 bill and no 1p being offered, I had a surreal experience in the U.S.
We flew into Tampa FL, and had a 30 mile drive to the house that we’d rented for 3 weeks.
On the way my wife said, “If you see a Publix or Kroger supermarket, pull in and we’ll have a freight up for breakfast stuff and salads for lunch, plus wine, vodka and mixers, plus household stuff.”
As luck would have it I saw a Winn-Dixie, another chain in the South.
At the checkout it came to something like $85.25c, I had a bunch of dollars that I’d taken in my taxi at exorbitant rates for times like this, so gave the girl two fifty dollar bills and a quarter.
She looked perplexed and said, “That’s too much Sir, your total is $85.25.”
I said quietly, “Yes I know, but if you take the $100 and the quarter, and give me $15 you’ll have $85.25”
It took 4 or 5 minutes for her to understand that I wasn’t trying to rip her off.

Back
Top Bottom