MSI's X570 Tomahawk May Become Go-To OC Board??

Soldato
Might be this: https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/wd-is-fi...ack-sn850-ssds-run-slow-on-x570-motherboards/

"The folks at ComputerBase ran some tests and observed write performance being cut nearly in half when connecting the drive to the aforementioned slot—one of the benchmarks saw write speeds go from 5,255MB/s to 2,972MB/s, which is a 43.4% reduction."

Firmware fix was posted in July: https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/news/new-sn850-firmware-restores-amd-x570-performance-loss

Absolutely sure you are on latest firmware?

Just double checked and its running the latest firmware but says says the connection is Gen4 but only 2 lanes. Didn't think anything reduced the lanes on X570 so I'll double check settings in bios later

Soldato
Had a look through bios and didn't see anything related to setting m.2 speed or lanes it will use etc.
I did have a gen 3 drive in there previous before putting the sn850 in. Maybe resetting the cmos will help...?

Soldato
So solved the issue. Had to remove the drive, boot pc without the second m.2 drive installed. Then reinstall the m.2 and it now reports at gen4, 4 lanes and gives me the correct read and write speeds. I guess just swapping the gen3 drive with the gen4 confused the board somewhat :p

Associate
So solved the issue. Had to remove the drive, boot pc without the second m.2 drive installed. Then reinstall the m.2 and it now reports at gen4, 4 lanes and gives me the correct read and write speeds. I guess just swapping the gen3 drive with the gen4 confused the board somewhat :p

Just curious did you try a cmos reset before removing? I wonder if that would have worked.

Soldato
Just curious did you try a cmos reset before removing? I wonder if that would have worked.

yeah i did cmos reset first but didn't fix it.

Another weird quirk I've noticed with this board or at least with this board and my RAM is I have to leave the command rate on auto because if I set it to 1T my board won't POST or I get issues booting. I don't run XMP because I have my run manually tuned all my timings but in order to run 1T CR I have to set XMP and then reboot and then disable and tune all settings but leaving CR on auto. Then it runs 1T no issues but if I don't do that it defaults to 2T.

Soldato
I think my board may have died last night :(

The below is taken from a thread I created in the general hardware thread.

So last night I turned on my PC. Specs are in sight below. All was fine, logged into Windows but after a few minutes my monitor went to standby and wouldn't wake up. PC wouldn't restart or turn off with the power buttom so had to turn off at the psu. Since then it won't post and debug led stops on either CPU or RAMw depending on what I've tried. Eg. I unplugged and reconnected CPU power and then the led passes cpu but stops at ram. I've reseated CPU and GPU and tested RAM in another PC. RAM is fine. Tested with another PSU but just get the same issue. I don't have a way of testing CPU or motherboard unfortunately.

I'm leaning towards the motherboard being at fault because it doesn't seem to know whether the RAM or CPU is st fault, either though the RAM is fine in another system.

Any thoughts?

Should also add I've reset cmos a few times to no effect and when the board fails to POST now I can turn off by holding the power button.

Soldato
I think my board may have died last night :(

The below is taken from a thread I created in the general hardware thread.

Should also add I've reset cmos a few times to no effect and when the board fails to POST now I can turn off by holding the power button.
Is your board under warranty still? I'd be interested know what MSI are like, if you even need to deal with them, for RMA's...

Soldato
Should be, comes with a 3 year warranty I believe and I've had the board just over a year.
Hoping for a fast turn around.
Definitively! Have you ticketed their support yet?

Also, have you tried all the usual, trying to start with minimal connected, 1x stick of ram etc. Does sound like the board to me tbh, unfortunately it does happen :(

Long shot, but don't these boards now post without a cpu present? I doubt it is the processor but you never know... I had an old i5 flake out on me the other day - took me ages to pin it down!

Caporegime
Definitively! Have you ticketed their support yet?

Also, have you tried all the usual, trying to start with minimal connected, 1x stick of ram etc. Does sound like the board to me tbh, unfortunately it does happen :(

Long shot, but don't these boards now post without a cpu present? I doubt it is the processor but you never know... I had an old i5 flake out on me the other day - took me ages to pin it down!
Well you won’t get a post but the PC will power on as it can be BIOS flashed without a CPU present.

Soldato
Just sent a ticket to MSI asking to return the board under warranty. Let's see how smoothly this goes. Never had to deal with MSI in this way before.

It's defiantely the board, got a replacement in the meantime as I need the PC and now all works as ut should.

Soldato
Small update.

After I ticketed MSI support someone replied within an hour telling me I have to return the board where I bought it from and let them return it to MSI rather than dealing with MSI directly myself.

Soldato
Small update.

After I ticketed MSI support someone replied within an hour telling me I have to return the board where I bought it from and let them return it to MSI rather than dealing with MSI directly myself.

How are you getting on with this m8?
My Tomahawk seems to be dying, and looks like I'll be returning mine, just started a thread with OCUK support.
My Board is just over a year old :(

Soldato
How are you getting on with this m8?
My Tomahawk seems to be dying, and looks like I'll be returning mine, just started a thread with OCUK support.
My Board is just over a year old :(

That sucks to hear. Well your doing the right thing going straight to OcUK. Main reason I went to MSI first is because I know the place I bought the bought from doesn't normally stock the Tomahawk.

I've been really lucky with this tbh, I bought a board as a replacement so I wouldn't be without my PC and when I took my board back the shop I bought it from they said they would refund me after I explained the situation even though I've have the board over a year. I used the work at the shop though so that's probably helped :)

Hopefully OcUK sort you out quickly.

Soldato
Lucky you :D

I might of jumped the gun, after OCUK getting in touch it sounds like the cpu might be at fault. I'm in the process of sorting that with the purple people.

Edit: Looks like the cpu had a faulty memory controller, and as they didnt have a replacement in stock they have given me a refund. So cant complain at that.
After some thought, I've decided to splash out a bit and I ordered a Alder Lake setup from OCUK, which will be quite a change, as my last 3 setups have been AMD.

Mick

Last edited:
Soldato
anyone have issues with network connection dropping when what i think is under heavy load. it seems to be when im gaming. ive tried a lot of different driver versions and things suggested but nothing has worked. im currently on the latest drivers.

Back
Top Bottom