heated clothing, is it any good?

jcr

jcr

Associate
i have been thinking about buying my partner a heated top/coat for dog walking duties, as she is a little lightweight in the cold.
does anybody use heated gear and have any recommendations?
i would like something of decent quality that will last a few seasons.
or is it just gimmicky junk?

Soldato
Save your money and layer up.

Thermal base layer, fleece shirt and wind proof outer jacket and trousers.

Don’t get super padded jacket and trousers as they won’t breath and you’ll overheat.

Soldato
Heated gloves might be quite nice, its the extremities where you feel the cold so a decent coat shouldn't need a heating element.

Soldato
Heated gloves might be quite nice, its the extremities where you feel the cold so a decent coat shouldn't need a heating element.
Heated gloves work well on motorcycles where your blood circulation has slowed as you’re sat fairly still for long periods.

Unless you’re part of a B17 crew, heated clothing isn’t very practical.

Soldato
Just get a decent down (real or artifical) jacket. Some thermal undertrousers.

It's only dog-walking fer god's sake, not arctic exploration.

Soldato
People have been able to be perfectly comfortable in cities like Montreal and Moscow in the winter, so there really isn't any need for gimics like this in our very mild winters.
As others have suggested, thicker gloves (leather?) ticket coats and thermals.

jcr

jcr

Associate
OP
i was hoping that someone who actually uses the gear and has some experience might contribute. but then i remembered this is overclockers :D

Man of Honour
I have heated gloves and a heated vest for motorcycling. Absolutely essential for long stints in the cold weather where the wind chill can be -10 or lower. I tend to agree with others though that for dog walking it does seem a bit overkill.

My advice if you choose to proceed would be to get the smallest size that will still fit. The heated vests and jackets work best when they are tight against the body with thin layers beneath. If they are loose fitting they will be crap.

Soldato
i was hoping that someone who actually uses the gear and has some experience might contribute. but then i remembered this is overclockers :D

Well, you did ask yourself if it's gimmicky junk....people have answered.

I spend a lot of time out in the cold in the mountains. Staying comfortable in cold temperatures is a solved problem...
wear some decent warm layers.

Out and about in the cold and wind today. Some cheap M&S long johns under my jeans. Wool socks. T-Shirt, Montane mid layer and a down belay jacket on top, plus a wool hat. Ta da....you're warm and comfortable in the cold.

Back
Top Bottom