Have you had any damage from Storm Arwen?

Caporegime
I'm in Newcastle and it felt bad, thankfully the worst of it seems to be water that was blown up and under my roof tiles, so only a little damp on the kitchen roof to dry and paint over. Tiles are still all there thankfully.
I've never seen it so bad in 21 years and other times they had the gusts on the weather reports at 90mph+ etc, yesterday was apparently only 65.

I've never seen so much damage around the bit where I live. I counted 5 trees either toppled or snapped in half the Y shaped ones, where one side just totally came off with even the trunk split in half vertically.

there's a massive connifer on the street in one part it's about as tall as a bus even on it's side.

saw loads of kingspan insulation stuff scattered around too, I guess it's from a roof

Soldato
I didn't really have any damage except one of my bird feeders got blown off its hook, that's about it really :p. Know someone whose kid's trampoline got blown from the back garden over his fence into his front garden, and there seem to have been various cars damaged by falling trees etc, a canal boat ended up across the canal when the front got blown free, but nothing too bad round here I don't think, and no one I know personally affected badly.

Man of Honour
Not really any damage around here I'm aware of - tree down further up my road the opposite way to where I usually go but was medium size and quickly cleared.

Soldato
Was some strong cold wind with some light rain to make sure you instantly regretted being out without a windproof jacket.

Some unimportant stuff fell over.

UK storms :p

Soldato
Not much happening here in Auckland, New Zealand.

^ What is the 'Fish incident'? (apart from a great name for an indie guitar pop band I am soon to form)

Michael Fish, where he famously dismissed a hurricane in UK, 1987.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-24713504

As above, nothing to report here in Auckland, just 26 degrees and sunshine in the middle of spring :D

(Stay safe UK)

Soldato
We are north of Southport 1 mile from the coast over flat farm land.

Any damage where you are?

I’m also about 1 mile north of Southport, but my ridge is in tact :p
Shame I didn’t see this sooner as I have a 2m x 2m piece of plywood in the garage and could have helped secure the window.

What a small world it is! We’re just by the pumping station in Banks.

Permabanned
I’m also about 1 mile north of Southport, but my ridge is in tact :p
Shame I didn’t see this sooner as I have a 2m x 2m piece of plywood in the garage and could have helped secure the window.

What a small world it is! We’re just by the pumping station in Banks.

Very small world. Round the corner from you in Hesketh Bank. My bins got knocked over.

Say hello to Ralph's wife for me.

Soldato
Michael Fish, where he famously dismissed a hurricane in UK, 1987.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-24713504

As above, nothing to report here in Auckland, just 26 degrees and sunshine in the middle of spring :D

(Stay safe UK)

Oh that, it wan't anything like that here just very windy other than that no damage even the local paper hasn't reported any incidents. The "fish" incindent that was... something else indeed still got vivid memories of that.

Worst issue is the perishing cold it being only a few degrees above freezing and the strong wind its absolutely freezing in here woke up in the middle of the night freezing cold had to put some extra layers on that hasn't happened in a long time

Permabanned
If I had to pay £1000 to have a fallen tree cleared I think I'll be depressed for weeks unless I know the insurance would cover it. :(

In theory they should cover this, but who knows? The wife took photos of the two big oaks, both well over 100 years old, blocking the lane, and will contact them tomorrow, as no doubt thousands of others will.

They had to be shifted rapidly, it is other only vehicular access to three houses, and the tree man had already got work booked to January with calls incoming as I spoke to him, so "negotiation" wasn't an option. One of the neighbours had apparently resigned himself to having his vehicles blocked in for a few days, being a weekend and was obviously grateful we could get the job underway literally immediately. Whilst being "depressed for weeks" is not something I could honestly claim over such an unexpected cost, I would have course still like it in my pocket :)

Associate
Say hello to Ralph's wife for me.
This requires further explanation :D:cry:

No damage here, thankfully. A couple of houses in the street lost fences, roof tiles, etc. Dozens of trees down in the woods nearby. We did acquire someone else's patio furniture covers. I could feel the house moving though; a tad disconcerting. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom