USB Drive stuck on READ ONLY

Soldato
Ok, I got a USB Drive. ( Nuffin new )

It is stuck in RAD ONLY mode.

I have owened the disk for about a year and I have looked on the internet for solutions to fix it and I have tried a load of methods to fix this issue. I have also downloaded 7 different programs that are supposed to fix it and I have tried to do it in Windows, Linux and MacOS and none of them have fixed it.

Some have supposedly suceeded in fixing the disk, but every one has failed.

The files are all fully readable, but I just cannot delete anything or even the partition.

So, as a last ditch effort...

Can anyoen actually tell me of a method that will let me get rid of this read only mode.

It is a SANDISK with USB 3 on one end and USB C on the other.

And yes, I have tried both ports

Man of Honour
Ok, I got a USB Drive. ( Nuffin new )

It is stuck in RAD ONLY mode.

I have owened the disk for about a year and I have looked on the internet for solutions to fix it and I have tried a load of methods to fix this issue. I have also downloaded 7 different programs that are supposed to fix it and I have tried to do it in Windows, Linux and MacOS and none of them have fixed it.

Some have supposedly suceeded in fixing the disk, but every one has failed.

The files are all fully readable, but I just cannot delete anything or even the partition.

So, as a last ditch effort...

Can anyoen actually tell me of a method that will let me get rid of this read only mode.

It is a SANDISK with USB 3 on one end and USB C on the other.

And yes, I have tried both ports

Open command prompt as admin,

1) type diskpart (this opens what used to be fdisk),
2) list disk (displays list of available disks),
3) select disk x (x = disk number from list of disks in step 2),
4) list part (lists disk partitions),
5) sel part x (x = partition number from list In part 4),
6) del part override (the override is super important as it overrides any security/read only features including disk encryption)

Repeat for all available disk partitions. Then repartition as required. Should sort your disk!! Written while waiting for my plane to take off but I'm 99.9% sure all the commands are correct and that this will work.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Already tried DISKPART guys.
I kept getting an I/O error.

Hang on, I will re-try it and see what the error is EXACTLY.

Yup, it does not give any info but it does say to look at the event log for more info.

I just did and the ONLY thing I can find that relates to this time, is that it says that the Virtual Disk error and its error 3??

What else have I just tried?
Oh, I went into Disk Manager and it is set to H: and so I thought I would try to change it to A: just for a giggle / see What happens and the options are greyed out, so I cant even change the drive letter?

Thats something or nothing!

Back
Top Bottom