D5 pump in limp mode

Associate
My D5 stopped working on Friday night after about 3 years.

I took it apart yesterday and there was some black gunk in there which I cleaned off - I just run clear cryofuel with soft tubing so not sure where it came from. The ceramic bearing looked fine but I did not check the opposite graphite surface (after reading up I should have).

Anyway I put it all back together and it worked fine. However yesterday afternoon its kinda gone into this limp mode. I have a visual flow meter and the little fan spins for a split second then stops and then goes again for a split second. I have taken off the PWM connection so it should be going full blast. There are no grinding noises coming from the pump.

I am guessing its on its last legs but could not find anything related on the net with the same issues?

With regards to getting a new pump I read they are all the same as they are just made Laing - is there much benefit buying the ekwb version over the discounted xylem (other than the sata power connector)?

Product
Availability
Quantity
Unit price
Total value

Xylem Lowara D5 PWM pump

Stock Code WC-30B-OK

7 In stock

Was: £69.95
£53.99*
£53.99*

EK Water Blocks EK-D5 PWM G3 Motor (12V DC Pump Motor)

Stock Code WC-A6Y-EK

7 In stock

£74.99*
£74.99*

Associate
They are all made by Laing, but just rebranded.

Personally i would go with the Vario version - set it to the speed you want then leave it. I've heard the PWM version doesn't hit max speed on first start up which can be a pain especially when first filling up the loop.. though i could be wrong, and even though the new ones (EK G3) comes with a SATA connection, the good ol' molex actually provides more power.

Back
Top Bottom