New PC advice

Associate
Hi All,

Hoping you can give me a bit of advice about a new PC build (my current one is powercyling and no idea why!). Budget up to £3k.

I want something that will last, cope with playing WoW 90% of the time at a nice FPS (even when a lot is going on), but also allow me to play games like AC: Odyssey without the CPU hitting crazy temps (like my current rig).

I am a little clueless about what makes a good quality part, what is poor and what is worth investing in. I've configured one on Overclockers, but for some reason the save configuration isn't working at the moment, which is a bit of a nightmare.

Current system is:
i7740x
GTX 1070
x299 Mk2
16gb DDR4 Vengeance

Any help is very much appreciated. Was thinking of upgrading to 1440p as well.

Thanks!

Soldato
Finding the fault/replacing the component is the way to go.
Even if you replaced the mobo and PSU with quality stuff that's gonna be a hell of a lot cheaper than 3 grand lol!

Soldato
It would be, but my current machine is getting a little slow - so i think it is time for an upgrade anyway :)
PCs don't slow down over time.. Maybe a fresh install of Windows. That's free.

If the cpu is too hot, replace thermal paste or put a better cooler on it.
What temps are you hitting? Maybe it's power cycling as its getting too hot?
Your machine is perfectly capable of playing wow.

Associate
OP
PCs don't slow down over time.. Maybe a fresh install of Windows. That's free.

If the cpu is too hot, replace thermal paste or put a better cooler on it.
What temps are you hitting? Maybe it's power cycling as its getting too hot?
Your machine is perfectly capable of playing wow.

Good to know about the slowing down bit. I've got the Corsair H100i cooler, no idea if that is any good or not :) Will try replacing the paste as well.

It only really hits 80 - 90 when playing AC: Odyssey - for WoW it can get 65 ish for raiding / pvp.

Power cycling isn't from getting too hot, that is the one thing I do know. Sadly I don't have spare parts laying around to swap out for the PSU etc.

Soldato
I guess it sounds like a failing PSU or mobo could be the issue. What PSU do you have?

Fresh Windows install: free
Good quality PSU circa £100
New mobo: £150
Reseat cooler: free (tenner for top spec new paste?)

Change from £3000?

A saving of £2750 :D

Soldato
X299 new is still available, you could upgrade the CPU, but TBH it would not be cost effective these days. Ryzen 3 & Intel 12th gen would be better price performance.

See what you can get for your current hardware & put the cash towards more up to date hardware.

Associate
Thanks for replying. This is a bit of a quandary for me - would £700 - £800 get me a decent card?

If you want to buy from a shop, up that by about 130 quid for a 3070, but that's a perfectly capable 1440p card. Or one of the FE drops for half the price..

Or if you're patient, a 3080ti in one of the drops. But that's a grand, powerful card though. Nowhere near as good value as a 3080FE, but those are less plentiful than the Ti.

Associate
X299 new is still available, you could upgrade the CPU, but TBH it would not be cost effective these days. Ryzen 3 & Intel 12th gen would be better price performance.

See what you can get for your current hardware & put the cash towards more up to date hardware.
I thought that too. It’s still a platform you can upgrade with a powerful processor. The problem is price.

Soldato
Corsair CS750 M 80 plus Gold

AFAIK Not made by Corsair anymore. It was one of their budget PSU's which are 'OK', but X299 was Intel's high end platform when it was released & you don't put that kind of PSU into that kind of rig, its just not the thing to do & it would almost certainly cause reliability problems.

Rule of thumb on this Forum = Never skimp on the power supply. Like this one.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £114.49 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Back
Top Bottom