The English Channel

Caporegime
Not our problem, Drown or swim neck to France I do not care.
Until we stop it they will come.

Well there's been drownings in the past and they continue to come, so clearly it's not that much of a deterrent.

Unless you're proposing we mass murder them?

I can already see the articles in the papers showing the dead children floating in the water.

Soldato
I guess if Russia or China wanted to invade us they could simply send their Marines over in dinghies and we'd bring them ashore and probably provide with them a hot meal and £37

Soldato
I guess if Russia or China wanted to invade us they could simply send their Marines over in dinghies and we'd bring them ashore and probably provide with them a hot meal and £37
And medical care/housing/clothing etc, the 37 a week thing is to distract from the true burden these people are on our society.

Caporegime
And medical care/housing/clothing etc, the 37 a week thing is to distract from the true burden these people are on our society.

Well if they're usually young, then medical care is likely to cost not much at all if anything. Clothing is probably all donated I'd imagine, or hope so anyway. Housing is the eminent problem, but I think repairing some disused army barracks would resolve that assuming they haven't been knocked down.

Caporegime
yea dont worry about the NHS, Dental/GP shortages or the strain already on all the systems in place that clearly can't cope.

pretend there is no housing crisis etc and let them all in.

it's not like we are still in austerity is it? oh wait we are and inflation is about to hit hard

https://www.nao.org.uk/work-in-progress/nhs-backlogs-and-waiting-times/
The NHS in England was running at close to maximum capacity before the COVID-19 pandemic. The pandemic has led to a sharp drop in routine NHS activity, resulting in more people waiting for treatment, and waiting for longer.

Caporegime
All those issues sounds like negligent governments to me, perhaps purposefully negligent in an attempt to bamboozle and hoodwink voters.
maybe you should go to France and warn the migrants they have been bamboozled so they don't need to get on a boat

also what you said makes no sense

Caporegime
maybe you should go to France and warn the migrants they have been bamboozled so they don't need to get on a boat

also what you said makes no sense

Why does it not make sense for governments with a stake in the housing crisis to keep it running by incompetently handling immigration and then blaming the immigrants for it?

I think it's worked out quite well for the establishment.

Soldato
Isn't wanting them to claim asylum in the EU showing more empathy than encouraging them to drag their families across the entire EU to arrive in squalid conditions in Calais, depriving their offspring of education and a warm home, then subjecting themselves and offspring to a perilous journey in an unfit sea vessel not empathy enough for you? All of which could be avoided if they claimed asylum in one of their first safe havens encountered which is what they would do if they were genuinely fleeing conflict.

I’d argue, quite strongly as a human race we should be doing our upmost to give asylum seekers the best possible chance to help themselves become self sufficient and not claiming state benefits. Treat people like second class citizens in general they will behave like one.

Not all the answers but have a read of this book and it’s certainly food for thought. Clearly with these type of things you have to read between the lines but if nothing else the current way is not working .. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Utopia-Realists-How-Can-There/dp/1408890267

Soldato
I’d argue, quite strongly as a human race we should be doing our upmost to give asylum seekers the best possible chance to help themselves become self sufficient and not claiming state benefits. Treat people like second class citizens in general they will behave like one.

Not all the answers but have a read of this book and it’s certainly food for thought. Clearly with these type of things you have to read between the lines but if nothing else the current way is not working .. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Utopia-Realists-How-Can-There/dp/1408890267

They're treating themselves as second class citizens since they've had plenty of opportunity to end living in cold squalid conditions long before they reached France.

Soldato
Why does it not make sense for governments with a stake in the housing crisis to keep it running by incompetently handling immigration and then blaming the immigrants for it?

I think it's worked out quite well for the establishment.

They're hardly going to build new free housing by borrowing more since that is Labour's territory. These asylum seekers aren't contributing to tax receipts so it would be everyone else footing the bill to build homes for them. This is where you're missing the point of putting existing citizens first before taking on more.

Caporegime
They're treating themselves as second class citizens since they've had plenty of opportunity to end living in cold squalid conditions long before they reached France.

Well if they don't speak French, German or any other continental language, it's pretty pointless even trying to apply for asylum in those countries. Plenty of ex-French colonies do in fact apply in France for asylum, so clearly the language barrier is a problem.

They're hardly going to build new free housing by borrowing more since that is Labour's territory. These asylum seekers aren't contributing to tax receipts so it would be everyone else footing the bill to build homes for them. This is where you're missing the point of putting existing citizens first before taking on more.

Then make them contribute to tax receipts?

Just remove the limit on taxable income for them until their application is successful, surely better than letting them run around the black market instead?

Soldato
Well if they don't speak French, German or any other continental language, it's pretty pointless even trying to apply for asylum in those countries. Plenty of ex-French colonies do in fact apply in France for asylum, so clearly the language barrier is a problem.

Just remove the limit on taxable income for them until their application is successful, surely better than letting them run around the black market instead?

They're never going to do that to the extent they'd be making a positive contribution when you factor in the cost of providing housing. If they're unskilled then they'd likely pay nothing or next to nothing in income taxation.

Soldato

They can be taught to speak German or French etc as appropriate to where they claim asylum as they'd likely have to learn a new language where ever they pitch up. It's still not our problem what languages these people may or may not speak.

Soldato
Well if they're usually young, then medical care is likely to cost not much at all if anything. Clothing is probably all donated I'd imagine, or hope so anyway. Housing is the eminent problem, but I think repairing some disused army barracks would resolve that assuming they haven't been knocked down.
All good then?
So short sighted it hurts.

Back
Top Bottom