Water cooling questions

Associate
Hi
first off excuse my questions as being of the stupid kind but i have been out of the PC building game for 9yrs
currently collecting parts for a new PC which i want to water cool myself with the various options
I actually watercooled my Athlon PC about 20yrs ago which i remember doing and found it bery satisfying

I still have various parts the only one of which i will use is the 240mm Raditor which has been boxed in m garage for about 12 yrs I fished it out the other day and bar the odd scuff here and there seems OK

I intend getting a pressure tester thing and see how it handles it
my first question is on the barbs it says 12 3/8
so rather than waste money on new pressure type compression fittings not exactly sure what size fittings i should buy as now every thing seems to be all quoted in mm my intenbtion is to use 14mm tube when i eventually start - so can i buy a fitting that is 3/8 into the RAD and 14mm pipe fitting at the other end

i-DVsQRjN-XL.jpg

also say 33/03 on the side of the RAD not sure what these numbers are
i-298SKpP-XL.jpg

i-qwJt7Sx-XL.jpg

Associate
Images not working for me either

my first question is on the barbs it says 12 3/8
so rather than waste money on new pressure type compression fittings not exactly sure what size fittings i should buy as now every thing seems to be all quoted in mm my intenbtion is to use 14mm tube when i eventually start - so can i buy a fitting that is 3/8 into the RAD and 14mm pipe fitting at the other end

IIRC 12 3/8 would be G3/8 ID (10mm) on the rad to use with 1/2" OD tubing.. soo any 13mm/10mm tubing should fit.. e.g. Masterkleer, EK Duraflex, Primochill Primoflex, Tygon.. if you can find them.

Not sure of the numbers on the radiator.. need a pic.

If you do decide to buy compression fittings, then any should be fine as they should all be G1/4" thread. All depends how thick you want the tube - 12-19mm

Associate
Although compression fittings look neater I still think that traditional barbs are more effective and easier to use

I also started watercooling on socket A athlons.

Associate
OP
no idea why images are not showing i can see them on here and my laptop ?? a bit puzzled
thanks for the responses - i intend checking the old radiator out and pressure testing in the coming weeks than start buying bits and bobs for a small custon loop build incorporating a rather cool looking flow meter i have seen online and possibly a distro plate

Associate
OP
starting to get more bits for my new build and this might be a stupid question but on my radiator it has the 3/8 internal thread - and i want to buy compression g1/4 fittings for 16mm hard tubing

to fit in the RAD seem to be getting confused with all the compression fittings being G1/4 will these fit my 3/8 thread RAD ??

Associate
starting to get more bits for my new build and this might be a stupid question but on my radiator it has the 3/8 internal thread - and i want to buy compression g1/4 fittings for 16mm hard tubing

to fit in the RAD seem to be getting confused with all the compression fittings being G1/4 will these fit my 3/8 thread RAD ??

If the radiator is a 3/8 internal thread then only fittings with G3/8 thread will fit.. not G1/4.

With a bit of searching, there are adapters you can get (which re meant for pumps but i'm sure can be used elsewhere), which will convert from G3/8 to G1/4:

Eheim G3/8 to IG1/4 Thread Intake Pump Adapter - Black Nickel (Eheim 1046 / 1048 / Aquastream)

Associate
OP
If the radiator is a 3/8 internal thread then only fittings with G3/8 thread will fit.. not G1/4.

With a bit of searching, there are adapters you can get (which re meant for pumps but i'm sure can be used elsewhere), which will convert from G3/8 to G1/4:

Eheim G3/8 to IG1/4 Thread Intake Pump Adapter - Black Nickel (Eheim 1046 / 1048 / Aquastream)
yes i understand that.. but cant seem to find the required adapter on here i need to convert my 3/8 so that a G1/4 compressed will fit

Last edited:
Associate
yes i understand that.. but cant seem to find the required adapter on here i need to convert my 3/8 so that a G1/4 compressed will fit

Due to competitor website i can't link but if you do a google search for

Eheim 1046/48 In- and 1250 outlet adapter to G1/4" - hexagonal

that is what you need.. a G3/8 to G1/4" adapter. I had a look on OCUK, they don't do them

Last edited:
Associate
OP
slowy amassing bits for my new watercooled Build
I managed to get the 3/8>G14 adapter

sanded the RAD down and painted it Matt black some new EK torque compression fittings along with FLT 240mm pump/res combo waiting for a mobo to show up now and just about got 99% of the parts so hopefully the mobo shows up soon
leak tested my old RAD and the flt240mm all looks good to go soon

Back
Top Bottom