Alphacool XT45 vs EK Coolstream PE

Associate
I know I’ve probably asked this before but now that I finally have all my bits for a new build, a quick query please for all you knowledgable people!

From various sites on the web it looks like the EK coolstream PE 360 is a marginally better performing radiator than the slightly thicker alphacool xt45 (although not clear exactly on the version).

Main source is the xtremrigs review.

https://www.xtremerigs.net/2015/02/10/alphacool-nexxxos-xt45-360mm-radiator-review/5/

Anyone got any first hand experience of the two?

I’m on the brink of surrendering a 60mm HWLabs 360 SR2 as I can’t fit it to my build the way I want. So was going to put the 45mm alphacool in its place. But then the PE seems to beat it!

Soldato
I wouldn't be worried about it. The differences are marginal in the real world. A given surface area has a heat capacity / radiation capacity irrespective of the name on the box. Find a rad that fits, get fans that fit the fpi (airflow versus static pressure according to fin density). I admit to being a fan of Alphacool rads but it's purely because they're ones I most use.

Associate
As Mike said, you won't notice much difference between the 2.. couple degrees diff maybe. I've used EK, HWlabs, XSPC and Alphacool rads previously and they all perform well. I wouldn't mind taking the SR2 but it's just a shame they look a bit ugly.. kinda reminds me of Mr. Blobby for some reason

Associate
OP
Thanks guys, good to know. On the SR2 am a bit gutted. My case is an O11D XL. To make the SR2 fit, am half considering removing the bottom fan mount/bracket to save some vertical space between push/pull SR2 and a gpu riser mount. But, I’d need to find a way to secure the radiator (with its fans) to the floor of the chassis…

Soldato
If you are looking at putting a rad in the roof of your case, getting one that has ports facing up and down can be very useful for filling/draining and removing any bubbles. You basically use the downwards facing ports for your tubing runs but the upwards ones can then just have a fill port or even just an open port and a funnel (not while running!)

Associate
I remember studying that data when planning my system. It was so easy to choose a rad based on performance without knowing if it would fit into my case! I had planned to have HWlabs throughout but in the end could only fit one at the front - but that was good because I wanted that one to be intake and the low fin density helped with that. My next preference was EK but the fit wasn't ideal so I ended up with a pair of Alphacool rads for top and rear. I'm happy with the finished system so I concluded that fit was more important than exactly where the rad was on the performance list. I generally run my water flow and fan speeds a lot less than the tests in those reviews anyway!

Associate
OP
If you are looking at putting a rad in the roof of your case, getting one that has ports facing up and down can be very useful for filling/draining and removing any bubbles. You basically use the downwards facing ports for your tubing runs but the upwards ones can then just have a fill port or even just an open port and a funnel (not while running!)

That is some great advice. If I put the coolstream in the top it’ll have its only two ports facing down. The alphacool has six ports so much better in this regard.

I remember studying that data when planning my system. It was so easy to choose a rad based on performance without knowing if it would fit into my case!

I feel like I’ve been obsessing over the data far too much, and so many people say not to worry about it, get a system that works for you, that fits, get the biggest you can fit and afford, etc. I took a gamble with the SR2 I have to admit: I’d sort of worked out the dimensions and thought it’d work. Indeed it did with a modified gpu bracket test where I lifted the bracket higher up, but then it makes the loop run from cpu to gpu almost impossible. Unless I go some other route.

So now have a lower bracket (and even considered not using a bracket at all). With lower bracket brings ‘downgrade’ from SR2.

Soldato
+1 for multiport radiator especially in top of the case
I also use one in the bottom to give a drain port that's
Absolutely the lowest point in the loop
Mines actually outside/underneath the case
As got the case on some nice large castors there's room to do that
And for crossflow radiator they can make a
Much tidier build
It's even possible to get crossflow with multiports
Though those are a little less common
I used a step drill bit to make a hole
Then a bulkhead pass through to the radiator
Depends on the pc case of course but lot of them it's not visible
When you do it
And yeah makes a big difference for draining to stop air locks
And for filling as got gravity on your side

Associate
@alexkyriak - I'd say that short of using a 3D model (and Alphacool does have them) it is almost impossible to know that any given rad combination will fit in any given case. Unless you copy advice or a review then you'll just have to try it. I used a Fractal Design Define 7XL case and that company has good literature but I still needed to buy one so that I could really get inside and take some measurements. I was fairly sure that I would be able to fit my preferred HWLabs SR2 420 in the front but it was not so clear for the top so I went and bought one to try it. Indeed I could only fit it into the front. Once it was in I realised that seeing that there should be space "on paper" to fit another 420 in the top is one thing, but actually doing it is another because, as others have commented, fittings and piping is needed and the ports may not be in the best orientation. In my case I looked at the possibility of an Alphacool XT45 420 crossflow on the top panel and an XT45 140 crossflow on the rear (even though Fractal stated that only a 120 would fit). I did download some free 3D model SW and used the Alphacool models to check it out although in the end I had to take a risk and buy the rads. Fortunately it did all work out as planned, except for - and the purpose of this particular post - the fact that I, like others, did have to do a few modifications to the case. Nothing wrong with that - after all we are all doing custom builds to create systems to meet our personal requirements and specifications.

Back
Top Bottom