Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Quick question, has anyone had much luck claying without (machine) polishing afterwards?

I've already used fallout and tar remover but the paintwork is still rough and could really do with claying but the majority of forum posts and videos suggest you really shouldn't clay without polishing afterwards (due to marring etc). Was wondering if you can get away with it using a soft clay (was looking at BH) or even a Farecla clay mitt or similar as long as use use plenty of water/clay lube?

I've used a clay mitt gently a couple of times on my car now and never machine polished. Not caused any issues that I can see.

Soldato
So a guy who developed a sponge is saying the safest way to wash a car is with a sponge...go figure!

Any independent people doing the same test?

Permabanned
Tried out Gyeon Wet Coat today, though it was stupidly cold....when I started the water was freezing on the windscreen. :cry: Luckily the sun came out and wasn't as bad.

You clean the car as usual, no need to dry, spray it on a wet panel, pressure wash off. Works really well, quick to use and gives a fairly good gloss/hydrophobic coating.

Man of Honour
Ok sorry, over reaction. I’m like an older James May, I don’t see the point of all this track stuff when it’s largely irrelevant.

(I’m actually younger!!)
You don't see the point or you have no experience of why it's useful and hopefully never needed? Let me give you a perspective as someone who is 54 and sought a car with the 'track pack' added.

So why?

Track pack on this car equates to a 4 point harness for both driver and passenger, a rear roll cage and a floor mounted fire extinguisher. New this was a £162,000 car built for road and some track use. It isn't a race car (I have one of those too, much slower and I can't drive it to a track cuz racecar) it is a road car for some track use. Same with a 911 GT3/GT3 RS, 360CS, 430Scud, 458 Spaz, Performante and others I have missed all of which offer a track pack of some form and come with an extinguisher.

I go to the Ring 1 to 2 times a year (when we are not locked down) and on that trip I have to carry an extinguisher by law as I do one some track days. Historically I have dropped one into the boot, far from ideal when on track of course. I also track my cars 3-4 times a year normally. It is common to see cars go pop, occasionally with engine fire. A track day isn't marshalled like a race meeting, so having a route to reduce fire damage is good. Harness is helpful too, so is the cage because again rolling a car though far from common is a risk.

If your driving is based on going from A to B on the road they it is pretty pointless. For many with cars like mine and those listed they will never go near a track so pointless too but I do, which is why I found it a good tick box option and wanted it on my car.

All about perspective.:)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Having said all that….

A few months back I came across a mini on fire on the road. I sat there thinking if only she had a fire extinguisher completely forgetting I had one. DOH! That is a being 54 thing :D

Caporegime
Having said all that….

A few months back I came across a mini on fire on the road. I sat there thinking if only she had a fire extinguisher completely forgetting I had one. DOH! That is a being 54 thing :D
To be honest you have to be mega quick with one of them. It’s scary how quick a car can go up.

Soldato
Still remember the Zafira in a carpark that went into run on mode with the diesel consuming turbo oil i assume, eventually set on fire and took out the whole car, roof box and melted various ones around it. Today i still wish i had gone over and tried to force stall it, but a fire extinguisher there would have been useful...

All things considered no harm to life and a Zafira off the road was for the greater good?

Soldato
You don't see the point or you have no experience of why it's useful and hopefully never needed? Let me give you a perspective as someone who is 54 and sought a car with the 'track pack' added.

Having done a lot of track work back in the day (205 GTi, 1.6, 1.9, Mi16 and 306 GTi-6) I never felt is necessary to have a FE in the car. More fool me? Perhaps, but on the flip side, none of them ever caught on fire.

So I do get why, but despite that I still don't see the point. In a car that's so expensive, it just feels like you've added a pack to tick a box, and it's there for affect.

If your driving is based on going from A to B on the road they it is pretty pointless. For many with cars like mine and those listed they will never go near a track so pointless too but I do, which is why I found it a good tick box option and wanted it on my car.

All about perspective.:)

It is indeed, and it's your car, you do what you want! As you say, the majority of these cars won't ever see track work, but I'm pleased yours does and I hope you enjoy every minute of it, and never need to use the FE.

I just prefer comfort as I've got older (42) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom